Midland Jeep Antenna Placement

gortex2

Because its a topic that comes up weekly thought I'd share of picture of Midlands Jeep mount from the show last weekend. Jeep runs a MTX575. Per the folks at the show the antenna location is the best they have found on the jeep. While I still hate the Ghost antenna for the use case they explained its fine. (Use case is following others on the trail). 

Yes your mileage may vary but wanted to share. Lots of folks on some of the FRS/GMRS channels out there last weekend, but mostly CH1-5 on my Midland was busy. The local GMRS repeater was useless as there are 2 old hams who use it non stop most of the day. Not just last weekend, but most weekends I'm there. Is what it is. 

image.thumb.jpeg.9879d7557d1f41cc3a159e4dd0fae65a.jpeg

Well, I have owned 13 Jeeps since 1976, and I am going to agree with Midland. That location givesa decent ground plane, especially if you have grounding strap on the hood to body. For what they were using the ghost for it would work just fine, for my uses I would have their taller 6 db antenna there.  

That's what I figured.

On my DD Explorer, I have the 1/4 wave whip and it seems to perform quite well.  It actually doesn't extend as high as the OEM top-mount AM/FM/GPS antenna.

I have just enough room to ensure 12"-12" GP on the top with the full-length sunroof.

Even when standing outside the vehicle, the 1/4 wave outperforms my N 771G rubber duck.

I'm actually thinking about getting an A pillar light bar for my Gladiator so i can fab up a mount for the ghost antenna on top of it where the lightbar would/ will mount. I would be able to hide the coax under the light bar mount. I have never bren too crazy about a lightbar above the windshield but i would do it to mount my antenna at or above the roofline IF itv would improve the range on my Midland. I would prob run the 28" (or so) Midland nmo antenna when traveling and change to the ghost antenna if in wheeling in an area with a lot of brush. Thoughts on this?  Would this be a waste of time?  What if i included a 7" or so disk of sheet metal at the base of the nmo mount for a ground plane?...