Midland Mobile

quarterwave

It's only 5W. Doesn't do repeaters. Only features PL (no DPL or split tones). Haven't seen a price tag associated with it yet. I bet it's also narrowband and not wide to be to spec with the bubble pack radios.

If it had DPL and the repeater offsets, it wouldn't be a bad little radio for use as a link radio...

• 8 months later...

Anyone have Midland GXT5000 Radios ?

I would guess most of the users here are using more advanced equipment that offers repeater operation. I am not sure if the Midland GXT5000 Radio is repeater capable or not. I noticed the Midland GXT5000 radio was marketed as a 36 mile 22 channel radio. The 36 miles is not practical in the real world unless you had 2 people in direct line of sight, some smaller repeaters running 40 watts dont offer 36 miles of coverage. From experience you will only see 1 maybe 2 miles and your contacts may be limited as you can not talk to anybody using a repeater and any simplex contacts would need to be on the same PL or DPL privacy tones. Unless you have a lot of simplex users in your community you may not hear anything other then kids playing hide and go seek. If this is a service you are interested in for hobby and daily use I would recommend getting a portable that can do repeaters or set up a small base station. Equipment can be found used on ebay rather cheep, whatever you purchase be sure you can program it. I know a lot of people new to the hobby start with the baofang UHF or DUAL band radios. You can purchase a simple handheld on Amazon with a better antenna and programming cable for under 50 bucks. Theses radios can be programmed with a free software package called CHIRP that can be googled and downloaded for free. Understand theses radios are more of a HAM radio and are not certified for use on GMRS but nobody has ever been cited for it as long as you abide by the rules. This type of radio is how i learned to program and the reason i decided to expand on the hobby, like i said not part 95 certified but none the less good learning equipment, easy to program and easy on the wallet.

Might I make this suggestion:

Not sure what your budget is, however find yourself a really good handheld that you like, get a mobile antenna for you car. < make sure your portable can accept an external antenna>

By doing that, you use it as handheld as use it as both, a portable, and a car radio, and when you get in to the car with the outside Car Antenna, connect it, this will give you little more range.

Of course, it depend on what kind of radio you get as to the cost there, some range from 1 to 5 watts, and can be programed with repeater splits, you can also find some 2 to 4 DB gain antenna for around $25 to $50.

I set up both my wife's and my vehicle for $180.00 each. When we are in out cars we have the out side antenna, when we are away from the car we are using the antenna that came with the radio.

The main thing to consider is a most bubble pack don't allow you connect a external antenna, and if do attach an external antenna you will not be able to use FRS channels legally.

Hope this suggest helps.

Good grief! At the prices being charged at Amazon you'd think these were gold plated. Honestly you can find nice Kenwood TK-840 or
TK-880 mobiles for around $50 these days, and even some decent HT's at reasonable prices. These are fully programmable and could be set up for both simplex and repeater operation.

I would guess most of the users here are using more advanced equipment that offers repeater operation. I am not sure if the Midland GXT5000 Radio is repeater capable or not. I noticed the Midland GXT5000 radio was marketed as a 36 mile 22 channel radio. The 36 miles is not practical in the real world unless you had 2 people in direct line of sight, some smaller repeaters running 40 watts dont offer 36 miles of coverage. From experience you will only see 1 maybe 2 miles and your contacts may be limited as you can not talk to anybody using a repeater and any simplex contacts would need to be on the same PL or DPL privacy tones. Unless you have a lot of simplex users in your community you may not hear anything other then kids playing hide and go seek. If this is a service you are interested in for hobby and daily use I would recommend getting a portable that can do repeaters or set up a small base station. Equipment can be found used on ebay rather cheep, whatever you purchase be sure you can program it. I know a lot of people new to the hobby start with the baofang UHF or DUAL band radios. You can purchase a simple handheld on Amazon with a better antenna and programming cable for under 50 bucks. Theses radios can be programmed with a free software package called CHIRP that can be googled and downloaded for free. Understand theses radios are more of a HAM radio and are not certified for use on GMRS but nobody has ever been cited for it as long as you abide by the rules. This type of radio is how i learned to program and the reason i decided to expand on the hobby, like i said not part 95 c-Fertified but none the less good learning equipment, easy to program and easy on the wallet.

Hello just purchased a Baofeng UV-5R+ with extra battery and Nagoya NA-701 SMA-F144/430Mhhz dual band antenna

Corey, I have two of the UV-5RV2+ radios with Nagoya 771 antennas. They seem to be working fine for the few GMRS repeaters in my area. Oddly enough, even my MD-380 works quite well in analog mode.

how do you like the baofeng radio i just ordered the beofeng uv-5r+ from amazon

how do you like the baofeng radio i just ordered the beofeng uv-5r+ from amazon

I liked the first one well enough to order a second one. That should say it all. :) I use them mostly to monitor four specific frequencies of interest that I might otherwise miss when my scanners are scanning.

I liked the first one well enough to order a second one. That should say it all. :) I use them mostly to monitor four specific frequencies of interest that I might otherwise miss when my scanners are scanning.

Today just ordered nagoya na-771 antenna , programing cable for my baofeng uv-5r+ be glad when I get it, radio on its way from china I purchased from amazon and the other stuff from eBay I hoping all the stuff I ordered shows up around the same time , been looking at all youtube videos about programing the radio

Today just ordered nagoya na-771 antenna , programing cable for my baofeng uv-5r+ be glad when I get it, radio on its way from china I purchased from amazon and the other stuff from eBay I hoping all the stuff I ordered shows up around the same time , been looking at all youtube videos about programing the radio

Canceled order for baofeng uv-5r plus ,ordered baofeng uv82hp from baofengtech here in united states  already have a nagoya na 771 antenna had to order FTDI Programming Cable PC03 USB Cable , radio

and cable shipped today