Meshtastic

So I have a few devices, Lilygo T-Beam V1.1. I placed one up high and placed another one at home and drove around with another. The best I could do so far was about 3.7 miles from the car (device placed on roof) to the node up high. This is with the "Long_Fast" preset. They are also very glitchy and often require a reboot.  So far they are fun to experiment with and maybe as use in a PACE communication plan but reliability is an issue so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Rigged up my first outdoor solar "repeater". Inside this ABS box is a SLA batter (lithium can't do cold weather charge), a small solar controller, a step down converter to get from 12 volts to 4, and a Lilygo T-Beam 1.1 without a screen. 

It uses 90mA at 12 volts when transmitting and 30mA at 12 volts when sitting.

20221127_180915.jpg

• 1 year later...

I bought two of these to play around with, got about a mile with the stock antenna in my neighborhood.  I had a few text messages go through even though the app indicated they did not when it was out of the mile radius.

Anyone have a recommendation for a better antenna? Thinking outdoor pole mount. Thx

• 2 weeks later...

I've been tinkering with these as well over the last month. Just driving around with the antenna inside the car I got 1.9 miles through dense suburban terrain. I've had a full conversation with someone about 1.5 miles away with the antenna inside the house near a window. It doesn't appear to be busy here in NJ, but I do see a couple nodes pop up here and there.

Thinking about attaching a node to a drone and getting it 400 ft up for about half an hour and see what I get. 🤓

I also set up an MQTT server for linking my mesh with my father who is about 25 miles north of me, and that works well also. You can't really use the public MQTT server because it will completely flood your mesh and probably lock up your devices from all the traffic, so be careful with that. If anyone is interested I can create a channel on the server to tinker around with.

• 4 weeks later...

@rdunajewski Rich, I am really interested in the procedure you followed to set up your private MQTT server. I have a group of friends in the Tucson area where we are thinking of starting a mesh system to coordinate various search and rescue related activities.

Best Regards,

Shane

1 hour ago, nokones said:

I got about a mile and a half with my DTR700 in a holster on my belt sitting in a car and was able to monitor other DLR1060s that were out in the open.

Line of sight (and only a few walls), I have clear connections between DTRs at 2 1/2 miles :)