Taking longer than expected

Guest Jason Stanton

Guest Jason Stanton

Hi guys and gals.  I’m a little concerned.  I applied for my license on Sunday, received it on Monday and am trying to register on this forum.  I keep getting the message of invalid #.  How long has it been taking for this site to recognize call signs WRVL355.  Thank you, and I hope to be a member soon.

37 minutes ago, Borage257 said:

Sometimes this site runs a little behind in its syncing to the Federal register.

This, sometimes it isn't so much an issue with the site, as either an issue with the data pushed out from FCC, or where FCC has an issue pushing out the data at all (happened for a bit in oct,iirc).

I had my license and call sign for a couple of weeks before the FCC included it in the data base that this site uses to verify your call sign. It’s not just a matter of having your license already as MichaelLAX has shown. The FCC lags a bit on this it seems. Be patient it will be loaded soon. check here
https://www.fcc.gov/uls/transactions/daily-weekly

Guest WRVK755

I have been trying to register for the past two weeks still nothing. I was told by the FCC that my license is valid and they cannot control a third party website. So the FCC is putting the Data out there. It is the site that is not updating. So many people everyday are getting their GMRS License the site cannot keep up. It has been way past the 24 to 48 hours wait time.

There seems to be a lot of licenses held up by the FCC. They did have an outage recently but we probably won't see the new licenses until after the Sunday full database gets released. The daily files are missing some records but the weekly file resyncs the whole database. 

20 hours ago, rdunajewski said:

There seems to be a lot of licenses held up by the FCC. They did have an outage recently but we probably won't see the new licenses until after the Sunday full database gets released. The daily files are missing some records but the weekly file resyncs the whole database. 

It’s been a week for me trying to register. Hopefully, the weekly resync tomorrow will have me up and running by Monday. WRVK800 

Guest Guest 72guy
7 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

What do you need in the meantime?

Michael,

Kind of you to ask. I’m looking at buying a Wouxun KG-1000G plus and installing it in my RAM 3500. The reading I’ve done so far leads me to believe that I would get the best performance out of the radio if I provided it with a constant 13.8 volts. So, you know the story. The radio purchase is just the start down the rabbit hole. 

Next, I started looking at PSU’s. All the pros and cons aside, I decided the Alinco DM-330MVT would work well for use in the truck and easily removed if I want to use the radio somewhere else. 

So, just going with advertised performance numbers. The KG-1000 plus claims 50 watts of output on the higher channels. The Alinco PSU claims a max output of 32amps and 30 amps continuous. I would be plugging the PSU into my trucks outlet that has a claimed output from the inverter of 400 watts.

The only load I plan on putting on the PSU is that of the radio. Amps x volts= watts or 29 x 13.8= 400. Am I figuring this correctly that my trucks 400 watt inverter could almost supply the max continuous 30 amp rating of the PSU? Again, the only demand on the PSU will be the radio so I wouldn’t think intermittent demand would create any overload or heat issues. I hope this works because I already got my antenna mount from Bulletproof which sure is nice but they make you pay through the nose.

Thanks again for the offer of help. And a big Howdy and Happy Holidays to all the Forum members.

So 13.8 volts is in range of what your trucks alternator is putting out… why do you need a PSU in the truck plugged into an inverter? I could see it if your using the radio as a base station but the radio is designed for automotive power. Granted you will want the power going back to the battery for that radio do to the load. 

Exactly my question as well.

I use a "mobile" in my home, the Radioddity DB20-G and I have a Jetstream JTPS32MAB power supply that I had purchased some years ago to power my Yeasu FT-857d ham radio.  Since it has Anderson Powerpoles on the front, I was able to easily add a cigarette lighter type connector to it to power the DB20-g.

But again in your RAM, just have it connected directly to its battery.

I looked up that Alinco and it sure looks sweet!  But I have no direct experience with it.

1 hour ago, MichaelLAX said:

I looked up that Alinco and it sure looks sweet!  But I have no direct experience with it.

No experience with that specific alinco, but I've had a dm30tr powering 3 and sometimes 4 radios at a time without a hiccup.

That aside, I'll also agree with the others that the PSU is something to use to power a mobile on 120v at home, it won't be necessary in the truck. Realistically, a healthy alternator is going to be feeding right about 14 volts to the battery (plus or minus a couple tenths...was just checking mine at the battery last weekend, 14.1v) to charge it, which the wouxun will be perfectly happy with.

19 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

No experience with that specific alinco, but I've had a dm30tr powering 3 and sometimes 4 radios at a time without a hiccup.

That aside, I'll also agree with the others that the PSU is something to use to power a mobile on 120v at home, it won't be necessary in the truck. Realistically, a healthy alternator is going to be feeding right about 14 volts to the battery (plus or minus a couple tenths...was just checking mine at the battery last weekend, 14.1v) to charge it, which the wouxun will be perfectly happy with.

My Icom ID-5100 reports 14.1V when the engine is running -- and that's after going through the 10ft of heavy gauge wiring I had to splice into the provided power cable (total power lead run is something like 18ft --Battery in front left of Jeep Liberty, along fender, through firewall, alongside "running boards" (inside door trim), up through gap in back seat, into the middle of the covered storage well, where the radio itself is attached).

2 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

My Icom ID-5100 reports 14.1V when the engine is running -- and that's after going through the 10ft of heavy gauge wiring I had to splice into the provided power cable (total power lead run is something like 18ft --Battery in front left of Jeep Liberty, along fender, through firewall, alongside "running boards" (inside door trim), up through gap in back seat, into the middle of the covered storage well, where the radio itself is attached).

I'm seeing the same from my 2730...rather than a separate run, I wired the radio to the same 10 gauge cables that feed the audio amp, direct off of the feed from battery to underhood fuse block...seeing 14.1 there as well (I over-spec'd the wiring to the amp in case I wanted to bigger in the future, it's only ~140 watts rms to the sub)

I do trust that a little more than the btech, which reads 14.2v when the digital display on the alinco psu in my shack shows 13.8v. I think I trust my multimeter a bit above both, though.

5 hours ago, 72guy said:

Success

For those trying to register, I was able to do so today after 9 days. Thanks for the feedback on using a PSU. Just got everything wired for a dashcam and left the option open to power my radio through the truck or PSU. I’m looking forward to getting everything setup and learning more about these radios.

Congratulations!

What happens next year when you will be 73?!? ?