Some Unfortunate News RE: CHIRP Integration

rdunajewski

As some of you may know, we have been trying to get myGMRS integrated into CHIRP, a popular open-source radio programming software created by Dan Smith, for several years now. I finally heard back from Dan in December and shared our API (Application Programming Interface) resources to him and test credentials for the website.

Given that this was a new feature and a big convenience to users, we wanted to offer it as a perk to Premium Members of the website who support our efforts to be the go-to GMRS community. Dan expressed concerns about having any paid services such as RadioReference.com in his application, because developers would be unable to test unless they had a membership at the website. We agreed to table the discussion until we had a solution for developers to test the myGMRS integration, and he implemented the new feature into CHIRP-next, the next generation of the CHIRP application. Dan released a version of CHIRP-next on December 24th with myGMRS integrated into it.

Yesterday, I sent Dan an email letting him know what changes to expect to the API once I require accounts to have a Premium Membership to download repeaters through CHIRP, so he had time to make the required changes to show the appropriate error message rather than a cryptic "Got error code 403 from server" message.

Long story short and omitting the gory details, Dan decided it was best to completely remove the myGMRS integration that he had finally added, rather than work with us on how to reach an amicable agreement that makes everyone happy. We offered several solutions to provide developers with Premium Membership so they could test the feature, eliminating the concern from Dan. We are surprised by this but respect his wishes, even though it hurts the GMRS community which utilizes his product for GMRS and/or Amateur Radio.

Understandably, I know many people will wonder why this wasn't just a free feature and that be the end of it. However, myGMRS is a small business and it needs to be profitable to survive. myGMRS is a one-person operation (not withstanding all the amazing members who contribute the repeater listings and forum posts) and it takes considerable resources to just to keep the lights on with there being so many users. Since the founding of RepeaterFinder, LLC, the corporate entity behind myGMRS, I have not taken a salary.

We intentionally minimize the number of advertisements we show because we hate ads too, but they alone don't cover the cost of running the website for nearly 50,000 users. Very few members have been kind enough to support us by subscribing to a Premium membership, so we're always looking for new perks to add for Premium Members to draw more people to sign up. To those who do support us, I sincerely thank you!

If you'd like to utilize the myGMRS lookup feature and are a Premium Member, you can download the last working version of CHIRP-next from 01/09/2023 here:

https://trac.chirp.danplanet.com/chirp_next/next-20230109/

If you receive "Got error code 403 from server" when trying to authenticate to myGMRS, it means you do not have an active subscription and you can subscribe by going here:  https://mygmrs.com/profile/subscriptions

You can see the commit notes from Dan regarding the removal here:

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/repository/github/revisions/12301814e238458766f1f7bf06476b39a4e3ab93

Here's the original ticket tracking the feature request:

https://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/9169

Thank you for understanding!

Just an update that Premium Members can now export a CSV file compatible with CHIRP from the myGMRS Reports page:  https://mygmrs.com/reports

Note that there was a bug in CHIRP that prevented cross-tone DCS codes from importing properly, but this has been fixed with today's latest update of CHIRP-next.

image.png

image.png

30 minutes ago, travisledbetter said:

The source code is available on his site, why not fork the software and make your own version? 

Edit: wait, this is for CHIRP-next. I haven't seen the source for that ?

It's available and the license he has is very open, it's GPL 3.0. But then keeping up to date with CHIRP's changes is a lot of work for little return. 

It's a possibility, but it's also more work for me to keep up with on any regular basis. Volunteers always welcome! ?

On 1/11/2023 at 5:25 PM, rdunajewski said:

Every repeater in a given state, for now. Later on I will add a zip code radius search so you can narrow it down further. 

Let me say thank you for all you do. I became a premium member shortly after joining because personally I felt like I was stealing from you guys with as much resources you have on here. All the help and info I have received on this site and then even being able to start a page for my state has been great. We have some really good guys up here in Alaska and they are really getting us caught up with the rest of the states which I am so grateful for. I don't mind volunteering and helping you with whatever you need, but I don't know how much help I can be still being so new to radios, but I'm always willing to help others if I can. Thank you again sir!

Hello Rich,

I never knew this is a one person operation.  Now that I know that I am glad I am a supporting member as I can't imagine how hard it is to keep up with all the questions, updates, upgrades and just keeping things running.   I am thankful for the work you have been doing.  I too would volunteer to help when I can, if I can.  I guess I would need to know what you need help with. It would have to be things that do not require a work like schedule.  But I could figure out days or times I could work on stuff. 

Again thank you,

Royce

Hi Royce,

I appreciate the offer! I think I have everything well under control but it does soak up a lot of my free time. My day job is substantially similar in many ways so burn out is a real thing. 

Your support as a premium member is greatly appreciated and that's the single best thing you and others can do, along with participating on the forums and making purchases on the online store. So thank you! 

Understood.  My day job is IT also, and don't want to talk about it or the burn out from it either.

I did try to buy things from the store but not available.  Sorry I went direct for my GR1225 link cable, which I should have this week.  I did make a Pi 3 from one of your other posts, but I could not buy that either from the store or I would have.

So I am kind of in a little mess, getting my repeater online on the net as I am having to do it piece meal with IT background.

To be fair, remove this from the site and message me direct, if you find it appropriate.

Just letting you know what I am doing to bring my unit online in an area that is not on the grid. No bad intent here.

Thank you,

Royce

Well i really like Chirp But I Also Get Why the Owner Dont want any Pay Wall BS In his software Open Source software and to be honest i dont blame him and HERE IS WHY It is very Easy to slip in/Sneek in about Any kind of spyware & malware & Even Viruses into the system But When its All Free & open source For any jo blow to just Download and look at the Code then ANY one that is slightly curious an a with a tad of knowledge can check the code for their self's an this Always Always Makes it Much Much Harder To Do ! So Stay Open Source and Always Just Say NO To ANY PAYWALL'S..That is How It Starts the World keeps trying to sell you a service of one kind or another JUST SAY NO Keep Your Hard Earned Money in your Pocket...Trust me when i say Big Tech Dont Need a Penny But Want it ALL ! You Can Research These Facts For Your Self you dont half to believe Me..Go Look!

6 hours ago, WRVK513 said:

Well i really like Chirp But I Also Get Why the Owner Dont want any Pay Wall BS In his software Open Source software and to be honest i dont blame him and HERE IS WHY It is very Easy to slip in/Sneek in about Any kind of spyware & malware & Even Viruses into the system But When its All Free & open source For any jo blow to just Download and look at the Code then ANY one that is slightly curious an a with a tad of knowledge can check the code for their self's an this Always Always Makes it Much Much Harder To Do ! So Stay Open Source and Always Just Say NO To ANY PAYWALL'S..That is How It Starts the World keeps trying to sell you a service of one kind or another JUST SAY NO Keep Your Hard Earned Money in your Pocket...Trust me when i say Big Tech Dont Need a Penny But Want it ALL ! You Can Research These Facts For Your Self you dont half to believe Me..Go Look!

you nailed it....  

• 2 weeks later...

Simple solution: raise the price of advertising to cover whatever costs you incur. The Grateful Dead didn't get rich by nickel-and-diming people with tapes/records/CDs—they sold concert tickets exceeding $300 apiece because their free music became infinitely more ubiquitous than if they restricted it to just record buyers.

The lower the barrier to grow your GMRS community, the higher price you command for advertisers who want a piece of your community. If you make it indispensably valuable to us, we become indispensably valuable to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone having trouble with copy paste within Chirp. It was nice in the older versions to be able to copy several lines from one radio and paste to another for programming. I had to delete the current version and install one from last year to regain that functionality. Thanks in advance, JON

2 hours ago, BENZDOC said:

Is anyone having trouble with copy paste within Chirp. It was nice in the older versions to be able to copy several lines from one radio and paste to another for programming. I had to delete the current version and install one from last year to regain that functionality. Thanks in advance, JON

I just loaded the newest version (I succumbed to the nagging at the beginning!) and I'll try some things.  Within the same file it is seamless.

I copied six lines from my UV5R file. I had no problem pasting the copied six lines at the end.

Then I opened up a new, blank file and had no issue pasting the six lines into it.

Then I opened up a BF-88 file and had no problem pasting the six lines there.

I chose the copy and paste commands from the Edit menu.

What problems are you having?

3 minutes ago, BENZDOC said:

When i right click after high lighting the lines there is no option for copy on this new version. The earlier versions it works perfect.

IMG_7297.jpg

That’s correct; it doesn’t appear in the right click menu, but you can click on Edit in the menu bar and all the usual editing options are available. 

• 3 months later...

I created a fork of the current version and reintegrated what Dan removed in January without modification.

I was able to get a list of repeaters in Texas (after upgrading to Premium, naturally) and it worked great.  I even did a test where I entered Lat/Long and it returned the list in order of distance from that geographic point.. that was very nice!

I run Linux on my machine so can simply run the code direct without any special build requirement.  But I will try to setup an automated regular build (for Windows and Mac, too) and should be able to setup automation to keep up with changes to the base Chirp app as well.  I did manage to rebase the code with two changes to Dan's code from today and tested again successfully.  So as drivers are added, bugs are fixed and features added the code should keep up with the latest while still providing the mygmrs functionality that was added back in.

I saw that Rich is planning to add a zip code-based location search to the API.  I might be able to add that at some point as well if you get that done, Rich.  Though, I am not quite as familiar with Python so will have to figure it out as I go.

You can access the forked repository on GitHub at https://www.github.com/bsefting/chirp.

Hopefully I'll have some Windows and Mac builds on there in the next couple of days.

I'll update when I have more,
Brian

3 minutes ago, UserNotNamed said:

I created a fork of the current version and reintegrated what Dan removed in January without modification.

I was able to get a list of repeaters in Texas (after upgrading to Premium, naturally) and it worked great.  I even did a test where I entered Lat/Long and it returned the list in order of distance from that geographic point.. that was very nice!

I run Linux on my machine so can simply run the code direct without any special build requirement.  But I will try to setup an automated regular build (for Windows and Mac, too) and should be able to setup automation to keep up with changes to the base Chirp app as well.  I did manage to rebase the code with two changes to Dan's code from today and tested again successfully.  So as drivers are added, bugs are fixed and features added the code should keep up with the latest while still providing the mygmrs functionality that was added back in.

I saw that Rich is planning to add a zip code-based location search to the API.  I might be able to add that at some point as well if you get that done, Rich.  Though, I am not quite as familiar with Python so will have to figure it out as I go.

You can access the forked repository on GitHub at https://www.github.com/bsefting/chirp.

Hopefully I'll have some Windows and Mac builds on there in the next couple of days.

I'll update when I have more,
Brian

Awesome, Brian! I was going to do the same thing but didn't want to worry about keeping in sync with the upstream changes. If we have an automated process we can keep the fork up to date.

Great work! Looking forward to an update! 

Latest update, I have built a package for Linux and am learning about building packages for Win32 and Mac.  I needed a crash course on Python, anyway, hadn't had a reason to learn it before.

I went back to your original messages and noticed that what precipitated the removal was the request to make the "403" error more user friendly and tell the user they needed the Premium sub.  So I fixed that in the code and it should tell the user "Premium subscription required to use this feature" when a 403 is returned from the API.  I tested by forcing the message to come up since my account is already Premium and I shouldn't get a 403.

I did notice that there does seem to be a problem with the data imported (I think around that cross-tone DCS code issue you mentioned before.)  I'll tackle that after I figure out the packaging and make them available.  First I have to learn what "cross-tone DCS codes" actually are, I suppose (totally new to radio...)

Rich, if you'd like to take the code discussion off the forums feel free to message me.  I get the feeling that sort of discussion could put many to sleep.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Chiming in here, as I've just got to the forum. GMRS is relatively new to me. As an engineer myself, I am curious why not just open up the API? Seems like one of the few, existing software that could easily boost adoption of GMRS (I hear it's growing in popularity with preppers, haha) - Granted, I am a long time Chirp user, new to GMRS.

Is there any plan on the mygmrs-chirp fork mentioned to maintain compatibility with chirp? I use chirp for non-GMRS radios too, and would prefer the ability to update chirp and not run an outdated fork. Unless you do, the fork is not a viable long term solution to the problem.

It would seem that a chirp compatible CSV export would be a straightforward feature to add to the GMRS webpage. The mygmrs website is well built, seems like there's only some personal beef that's preventing seemingly useful feature.

50 minutes ago, rfair404 said:

It would seem that a chirp compatible CSV export would be a straightforward feature to add to the GMRS webpage. The mygmrs website is well built, seems like there's only some personal beef that's preventing seemingly useful feature.

This feature already exists on the Reports page for Premium Members. 

The reason for making this a premium feature is that 95% of this website is free to everyone, but our operating costs are a major factor in being able to continue to provide for the community. 

The information is freely available but if you'd like the extra convenience of integration with other services then we charge a small fee which gives you additional perks like no ads, Classifieds access, and the ability to list a GMRS club.