Interesting video of Ukraine drone picking up Russian handheld; if it’s true…

SteveShannon

10 minutes ago, Lscott said:

I guess it could be. I only see one knob or screw thing on the side. The link shows the photos and there are two on the one side. Of course one could be missing. The video resolution isn't high enough to see more details.

It’s too bad the Motorola flyer didn’t show a side view. 

13 minutes ago, tcp2525 said:

Nothing wrong with a Baofeng. I have to say my old UV82 is leaps and bounds better than any of the HTs the big three put out in the amateur market. 

Well, I’m not interested in a comparison to ham radios, but it is funny that a group of professional mercs uses Baofeng radios. 

Radio in video also could be R-187-N1 (or -P1), another russian encrypted FHSS radio with analog FM, AM and TETRA. They are compatible with earlier mentioned R-168-UM, but are newer. https://reibert.info/lots/radiostancija-azart-r-187-p1.946513/ Radio in this ad is with extended battery, the short batteries do exists. This ukrainian review mentions good sensitivity and great selectivity "much better than Baofeng": https://armyinform.com.ua/2022/11/20/trofejna-radiostancziya-azart/ Great tear-down pics, don't miss. Ukrainians also managed to crack or steal master password that works on any R-187-N1, apparently.

The quality of the video is poor, so hard to tell. But I don't think it makes sense to pick up a Baofeng or Motorola. On the other hand, encrypted FHSS radio with actual programming from the enemy will allow better tactical awareness for the ukranian units in the area.

4 hours ago, tcp2525 said:

Nothing wrong with a Baofeng

Deficiencies of Baofengs are very well understood and explained everywhere, in countless reviews, videos and instrumented experiments. Their frontend overloads at any sign of in-band or out-of-band RF. Also, when you look at them funny. They work in the middle of nowhere, but fail miserably in RF-congested areas. And also if you look at them funny.

3 hours ago, Sshannon said:

group of professional mercs uses Baofeng radios

Wagner Group now recruits convicts from prisons, and sends them into the fire as a literal cannon fodder, promising the full pardon after 6 months of service. However, life expectancy of a random convict there is between one week and two. They (Wagner) burn them like dry hay. No sense to waste expensive radios, Baofeng is the right tool here. According to British Institute for the Study of War, by now Wagner lost about 40000 (forty thousand) as dead, wounded, deserted and POW.

12 minutes ago, axorlov said:

Wagner Group now recruits convicts from prisons, and sends them into the fire as a literal cannon fodder, promising the full pardon after 6 months of service. However, life expectancy of a random convict there is between one week and two. They (Wagner) burn them like dry hay. No sense to waste expensive radios, Baofeng is the right tool here. According to British Institute for the Study of War, by now Wagner lost about 40000 (forty thousand) as dead, wounded, deserted and POW.

I understand, but I was under the impression that the person in the photo I posted was higher up than the cannon fodder convicts. Can you tell me what the overlay near the microphone says in this photo?

DE14682A-9178-4585-8145-6D6B38B8ECCC.jpeg

1 minute ago, Sshannon said:

Can you tell me what the overlay near the microphone says in this photo?

It says simply "Wagner orchestra".

See, Richard Wagner was a favorite composer of Hitler, and the founder of Wagner Group colonel Utkin (of spetznaz) is a big fan of 3rd Reich. "Wagner" was his nick name during Crimea annexation and later in Donbass, and the private military group he leaded (may be leading to this day) inherited the name.

5 minutes ago, axorlov said:

It says simply "Wagner orchestra".

See, Richard Wagner was a favorite composer of Hitler, and the founder of Wagner Group colonel Utkin (of spetznaz) is a big fan of 3rd Reich. "Wagner" was his nick name during Crimea annexation and later in Donbass, and the private military group he leaded (may be leading to this day) inherited the name.

I missed the mark on that a bit. Thanks for info. I was unable to give more likes today. 

8 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Well, I’m not interested in a comparison to ham radios, but it is funny that a group of professional mercs uses Baofeng radios. 

One has to use the right tool for the job. Is the Baofeng a piece of crap? Yes, but you have to put things into perspective. The merc has a job to do and is given a set of tools to get that job done. The Feng will get the job done just as long as you don't put an external antenna with decent gain on it in a congested urban setting. It's all about the numbers, give the mercs a sub-$50 radio or a $500+ only to be trashed or captured. Igor is getting a Feng!!