Base Station Antennas

WRQX740

New to GMRS and am looking to put up a base station Antenna on my roof. I have a TV antenna on a pole strapped to the chimney. Can I put the vertical base antenna on the same pole above the TV antenna?  If not, how far away from the TV antenna should I mount the GMRS antenna?

And lastly if I need to mount the antenna elsewhere on the roof, any suggestions for a good strong mount that attaches to the face of the eves to attach a vertical pole?

I have a KG-1000 I'm going to use as the base station and am ready to go as soon as the location of the antenna is sorted.

I appreciate any help with this.  Brian in Riverside CA

5 hours ago, WRQX740 said:

New to GMRS and am looking to put up a base station Antenna on my roof. I have a TV antenna on a pole strapped to the chimney. Can I put the vertical base antenna on the same pole above the TV antenna?  If not, how far away from the TV antenna should I mount the GMRS antenna?

And lastly if I need to mount the antenna elsewhere on the roof, any suggestions for a good strong mount that attaches to the face of the eves to attach a vertical pole?

I have a KG-1000 I'm going to use as the base station and am ready to go as soon as the location of the antenna is sorted.

Yes, you can put the vertical base antenna on the same pole as your TV antenna, especially if you have several vertical feet between them.  Your TV antenna is probably a log periodic antenna, which is directional and covers a different band.  

I would try that first.  If you don’t watch TV while you’re transmitting you probably won’t even know it. If you do transmit while someone is watching TV, run some tests to see if they get any interference.  Make sure the mast is grounded.  

If the attic is much easier try that, but getting it higher makes more difference than having more power.

4 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Yes, you can put the vertical base antenna on the same pole as your TV antenna, especially if you have several vertical feet between them.  Your TV antenna is probably a log periodic antenna, which is directional and covers a different band.  

I would try that first.  If you don’t watch TV while you’re transmitting you probably won’t even know it. If you do transmit while someone is watching TV, run some tests to see if they get any interference.  Make sure the mast is grounded.  

If the attic is much easier try that, but getting it higher makes more difference than having more power.

Thank you very much for that. It will save me other hardware and a lot of Coax. I'll make sure there is at least 4 feet between them and give it a shot.

13 hours ago, WRQX740 said:

Eaves... not so much. But END of building. https://mfjenterprises.com/collections/all/products/eve-48 (they may call it an "eave" mount, but it really fits on the end of the building with the upper bracket just under the ^ of the roof peak, and the longer bracket a foot or more below it) https://mfjenterprises.com/products/wmd-12 (if you have very narrow eaves, this one may extend enough to let a mast pass the eave, otherwise another end-of-building fit)

I have two of the first -- one on end of house, other on end of garage, with a 40/20/10/6m OCFD suspended between them (the OCFD needs replacement, a few windy winters have stretched it to where the SWR is below the amateur bands). The second I have on the other end of the garage, supporting a 2m/70cm ground-plane vertical.

Rohm makes wall mount mast brackets that extend out to 24 inches from the wall.  

https://www.dxengineering.com/search/part-type/mast-wall-brackets

They should work on either sidewall or gable ends.

They also make an eave mount bracket that appears on the same page: 

Hy-Gain EVE-48 Eave Mount Brackets EVE48

21 hours ago, Sshannon said:

How are their extendable masts?

Out of all the masts we used, those were the ones a preferred. Lightweight, durable so they held up in high winds and easy to take down/put up for transportability. We would mount them on trailers and then just lower them for transport and raise them again at the new location.

• 5 months later...

Many antennas come with cutting guides, just remember to check and measure twice before cutting. You really need an antenna analyzer to tell you where the antenna is tuned before making any changes. An SWR meter isn't an analyzer.