GMRS / HAM radio pair suggestions

WRVX677

Question

Hi all.  Im trying to find a pair of handhelds, likely Baofengs, that meet these criteria:

1. One Amateur/HAM and one GMRS

2. Batter interoperability / compatibility between the two radios

3. Water-resistant

4. Uses the Baofeng multi pin connector. (Would ultimately like to pair them up with a Disco32 or Sky Eye PTT and a set of Comtacs)

Potential matches:

1. UV-9R Plus / GT-3WP and UV-9G

2. UV-9R Pro and GMRS-9R

Do any of these or others share batteries?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

20 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, WRVX677 said:

It’s just been really difficult to find solid information on some of the slight model changes.

Baofeng GT-3WP Ham and the Baofeng UV-9GGMRS are exactly the same radio. you'll get the program cable with the UV-9G that works for both and if you are so inclined the GT-3WP can be unlocked.

47 minutes ago, WRVX677 said:

Hi all.  Im trying to find a pair of handhelds, likely Baofengs, that meet these criteria:

3. Water-resistant

4. Uses the Baofeng multi pin connector. (Would ultimately like to pair them up with a Disco32 or Sky Eye PTT and a set of Comtacs)

Potential matches:

2. UV-9R Pro and GMRS-9R

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

So the two plug connector used by Baofeng is a K-1 connector, as in K for Kenwood.

There are better radios than the Baofeng. I would look at Wouxun KG-UV9G and KG-UV9D or P.

https://bettersaferadio.com/wouxun-kg-uv9g-pro-gmrs-two-way-radio-shtf-scanner/

8 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

So the two plug connector used by Baofeng is a K-1 connector, as in K for Kenwood.

There are better radios than the Baofeng. I would look at Wouxun KG-UV9G and KG-UV9D or P.

https://bettersaferadio.com/wouxun-kg-uv9g-pro-gmrs-two-way-radio-shtf-scanner/

Thank you, Steve. I imagine I’ll end up with a nice Wouxun eventually. I do like how those look as well as the KG-S88Gs. 

I have an FT-65, so I’m covered for a decent handheld on the HAM side.

The multi pin connector from Baofeng (UV-9R/G family) is different than the two-pin that most Baofeng’s have, and more closely resembles the contact pins that are on some professional Motorola radios. 

Just now, WRVX677 said:

Thank you, Steve. I imagine I’ll end up with a nice Wouxun eventually. I do like how those look as well as the KG-S88Gs. 

I have an FT-65, so I’m covered for a decent handheld on the HAM side.

The multi pin connector from Baofeng (UV-9R/G family) is different than the two-pin that most Baofeng’s have, and more closely resembles the contact pins that are on some professional Motorola radios. 

I have the FT-65 as well. I really like it. I have it’s little sister as well. Both can easily be opened up for GMRS.

(Disregard....this would be for the k1 plug, not the multi pin)

Wouxun...kg805g, and the uv7d (dual band, 2m and your choice of 6m, 1.25., or 70cm as the 2nd). Ip54 and ip55 water resistance, same battery, same k1 cable, and same desk chargers.

Edit: missed it was the multi pin similar to the xpr rather than the k1 plug....disregard.

If you’re looking for a “cheap” radio the TYT TH-350 is a tri-band, 2M - 1.25M - 70cm, type. It can be opened up for GMRS. It uses the Baofeng type programming cable and microphone accessories. Just be aware the radio is NOT Part 95 certified if that matters.

https://store2.rlham.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=74359&osCsid=gsc5lupm4qgc3dnoijn4go3o27

The other radios mentioned will likely work better but are going to cost more. You get what you pay for.

1 hour ago, wayoverthere said:

(Disregard....this would be for the k1 plug, not the multi pin)

Wouxun...kg805g, and the uv7d (dual band, 2m and your choice of 6m, 1.25., or 70cm as the 2nd). Ip54 and ip55 water resistance, same battery, same k1 cable, and same desk chargers.

Edit: missed it was the multi pin similar to the xpr rather than the k1 plug....disregard.

I have a passing familiarity with Wouxun from the GMRS side, but always forget that they make Amateur radios too. Not quite what I’m looking for but a good suggestion. I like the idea of the 805 line and could see getting one in GMRS and MURS eventually. 

1 hour ago, gortex2 said:

If you want something that will last a a heavy use handheld none of the CCR stuff is in that category. 

I agree. In that case he would be better off looking for a good used or new commercial grade radio. Unfortunately they are almost universally mono band radios so he would need two, one each for VHF and UHF. The upside to that is with the right frequency range, typical range is 136 MHZ to 174 MHZ, the VHF radio will handle all of the 2M band, MURS, railroad FM, marine and NOAA weather frequencies. On the UHF side a frequency range of 400 MHZ to 470 MHz will cover the full 70cm band, GMRS and most of the commercial business band frequencies.

13 hours ago, WRVX677 said:

3. Water-resistant

Potential matches:

2. UV-9R Pro and GMRS-9R

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

The Baofeng UV9R (ham) and UV9G (GMRS) appear to meet your criteria.  Both share the BL-9 battery and it looks like they both use the 328 Moto jack.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098JGLWZ1/ref=emc_b_5_i

and

https://www.amazon.com/Mirkit-Waterproof-Handheld-2200mAh-Portable/dp/B082Q1VL5Y/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3TV0O3YBECTEG&keywords=baofeng+uv-9r&qid=1675951266&s=electronics&sprefix=%2Celectronics%2C630&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFHTkdOVFNQUVdZWEcmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA0NTE1NjQzTTlXRVBUNjhQMlRHJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA5NzE4NDcxVjRRSjIwTFJBSjlCJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

38 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Thanks Steve. It’s just been really difficult to find solid information on some of the slight model changes. 

I do like the other suggestions of looking at used or new commercial radios as Lscott had mentioned. 

49 minutes ago, WRVX677 said:

Thanks Steve. It’s just been really difficult to find solid information on some of the slight model changes. 

I do like the other suggestions of looking at used or new commercial radios as Lscott had mentioned. 

I can understand that; I had to look at the UV9R, UV9R Pro, UV9R Plus, and UV9R Mk1 to find the one that looked like it was the same as the UV9G.  The GT-3WP that @wruu653 posted appears to be the same radio as what I posted, but in a 5w version rather than 8w and for 30% lower cost.

Fortunately, Amazon has easy returns. ?

6 minutes ago, WRVX677 said:

I am very new to GMRS and HAM. Looking forward to get more involved. I got my GMRS license a couple weeks ago and am signed up for a Tech test in April. 

just be forewarned you won't stop there. I think @Sshannon said something like "how many radios is enough"? The answer, Just a few more... ?