Signal stalk tuning.

kidphc

Cut off a hair more than an inch (1") whip measurement 19"..

446 Mhz (national 70cm calling Swr was at 1:1.4 swr.

472.7250 Mhz ch22 repeater input the Swr was at 1:1.49 swr.

450 Mhz swr (target mid band) was at 1.08 Swr.

Note: weird curly q in the Smith chart. Never seen that before.7ea6fd7df337c29ade03386fd65ea399.jpg31599136e7bdcaccb9c9426c8a9a7b7b.jpg7f7cee46e4b70f563381185eca4dc382.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

No. Signal reports as of today, just got it installed.

Btw. Don't run out and buy one just yet. It is a 2m 1/4 wave and 3/4 wave 70cm antenna.

3/4 have a weird radiation pattern and a take off angle of about 60‐70 degrees.

So who knows, how this will work in the real world.

I should of have taken 2m sweeps but failed to. I really wanted an antenna taller than the 1/4 for 70cm p25 and gmrs, i was also hitting the 1/4 wave in some garages. 2m was not a consideration, so I didn't even bother.

Because of the garage/tree thing I started searching for nintinol antennas. 2 came up signal stalk and sti flexi ( about 2x the price).

The sti was ruled out for the first round due to the cost and the cut chart would of had it back at 1/4 wave for gmrs/70cm. Might still try it in the future. Going to look at my buddy Seth's sti antenna to see if it is more flexible.

** the signal stalk is flexible. But no where near a signal stick. You will not be able to loop a signal stalk like a signal stick. I think you can loop the Sti (will check when I get the chance).

*** DO NOT try to trim with cutters. I recommend a bolt cutter or cut off wheel. Even my pneumatic cutting off wheel at the shop took some time to cut through it. On the order of 5-10 seconds. Usually, it will go through a steel whip in 2 seconds.

1e67f9170ed59f5c9c0b21eaac2cc7bf.jpg

73b63a55135252dfd9e9531f92d6b669.jpg

Two thumbs up from me for the Signal Stick. Best HT antenna I've had, if you don't mind the length. 
Agreed. Been happy with mine. Part of the reason I was willing to try a signal stalk.

Of course, little things like signal stick (3d printed antenna connection) not being finished (layer lines from 3d printing) let you know it is a small operation. On the signal stalk the ferrule to the nmo doesn't match the colors of the nmo base.

4 minutes ago, kidphc said:

Agreed. Been happy with mine. Part of the reason I was willing to try a signal stalk.

Of course, little things like signal stick (3d printed antenna connection) not being finished (layer lines from 3d printing) let you know it is a small operation. On the signal stalk the ferrule to the nmo doesn't match the colors of the nmo base.

Theyve moved over to an injection molded base on the signal sticks within the last couple of batches (bought a sma male one in black around black Friday last year), it's a nicer finish now. They also appear to be using glow in the dark tips on all of them, irrespective of color, which is a nice touch.

Theyve moved over to an injection molded base on the signal sticks within the last couple of batches (bought a sma male one in black around black Friday last year), it's a nicer finish now. They also appear to be using glow in the dark tips on all of them, irrespective of color, which is a nice touch.
Yeah mine had a glow in the dark tip. But 3d printed base.

Nice to know they are making changes. Especially, with the warranty if something happens you get a replacement.

Lifetime warranty doesn't apply to the stalk antenna. But he sells replacement parts.

1 hour ago, kidphc said:

Yeah mine had a glow in the dark tip. But 3d printed base.

Nice to know they are making changes. Especially, with the warranty if something happens you get a replacement.

Lifetime warranty doesn't apply to the stalk antenna. But he sells replacement parts.

My first one was full glow in the dark, so I wasn't sure when they spread those tips across the range

***Initial signal reports.

Usual route  i take home. So a fair comparisons, since I know where the holes are for spotty or weak coverage.

With the Signal Stalk, most reports were scratchy and having background noise on transmit. I was also getting hashing on receive. The dip around the Morman temple was reported as really really bad copy.

As a comparision,the usual reports when using the Laird B4505 CNS were like sitting in the room next to me, clean as a base station. The dip around the Morman temple usually reported with this antenna as scratchy with sometimes a drop out.