Fake/Copy Repeater Listing

OffRoaderX

This new listing: https://mygmrs.com/repeater/6937  is not owned by @WRWI949 and should be removed.

It is a copy of->   https://mygmrs.com/repeater/5340   owned by me/my group.

Posting here in hopes that @rdunajewski sees it - If there is another/better way to report a repeater please let me know.

52 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

owned by me/my group

Are you sure ? His name is Roger and I hear the owner likes roger beeps… okay I’m just having a bit of fun but seriously this has happened a few times and I wonder if it’s possible that it isn’t intentional and people think they are adding to their own list of favorites? I know if you are paying close attention it’s clear but the page defaults to “my repeaters” instead of “my favorites” and it seems like if @rdunajewski changed the heading of “my repeater” to “repeater’s I own” might make it clearer or at least a default to favorites would make more sense. Just trying to give someone the benefit of the doubt. First time to the site you probably aren’t adding repeaters you own but you are apt to add ones near you. I can’t think of any benefits of saying it’s yours when it’s not. 

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:

This new listing: https://mygmrs.com/repeater/6937  is not owned by @WRWI949 and should be removed.

It is a copy of->   https://mygmrs.com/repeater/5340   owned by me/my group.

Posting here in hopes that @rdunajewski sees it - If there is another/better way to report a repeater please let me know.

I reported your post, not to get you in trouble, but because it does seem as though he sees and acts on reported posts.

11 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

He's now giving approvals to people that request access, but not including the tone/any info.. This will make for a poor user-experience for MyGMRS users.. I hope @rdunajewskior someone can do something about it.

It says he hasn’t logged on in five days… how is he giving approval?  Maybe I’m missing something here but can you approve repeater use without logging in?  I’m seriously asking, I don’t have any repeaters myself.

11 hours ago, Sshannon said:

It looks like Rich has swung the ban hammer. You (@OffRoaderX) appear as the owner now, the repeater you said should be removed has been, and wrwi949 is not a member.

@Sshannon he’s not a member of the forum but I don’t know that he ever was. How do we know he was banned? He is a member of mygmrs.com though on the map/repeater page. Look I’m not defending the guy (I don’t even know him) but is it possible this is a honest mistake?  He hasn’t been on in five days and only had his license 15 days. How do you even send this guy an email from the repeater page to tell him he f’d up other than using the request? I only know how to do that on the forum. 
I understand being upset that this happens. It seems if you post a repeater as yours you should be able to lock it down as yours. Why is it so easy to change who says they own it? I appreciate the site that @rdunajewski has created here but this seems like an area that could use improvement. 

8 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

It says he hasn’t logged on in five days… how is he giving approval?  Maybe I’m missing something here but can you approve repeater use without logging in?  I’m seriously asking, I don’t have any repeaters myself.

@Sshannon he’s not a member of the forum but I don’t know that he ever was. How do we know he was banned? He is a member of mygmrs.com though on the map/repeater page. Look I’m not defending the guy (I don’t even know him) but is it possible this is a honest mistake?  He hasn’t been on in five days and only had his license 15 days. How do you even send this guy an email from the repeater page to tell him he f’d up other than using the request? I only know how to do that on the forum. 
I understand being upset that this happens. It seems if you post a repeater as yours you should be able to lock it down as yours. Why is it so easy to change who says they own it? I appreciate the site that @rdunajewski has created here but this seems like an area that could use improvement. 

That is a good point. Maybe he only had a login for the main site with the repeater directory and not for the forums. I couldn’t find him in the list of forum users and committed assumicide. 
And I completely agree that the site should not allow a person to assume ownership of a repeater established by someone else without some kind of strict procedural approval, whether accidentally or intentionally. 

15 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

That is a good point. Maybe he only had a login for the main site with the repeater directory and not for the forums. I couldn’t find him in the list of forum users and committed assumicide. 
And I completely agree that the site should not allow a person to assume ownership of a repeater established by someone else without some kind of strict procedural approval, whether accidentally or intentionally. 

Assumicide ? I like that, I’m sure I’ll have a chance to use it myself. 
I agree with some kind of strict procedural approval idea. I’m not sure how you make it full proof but at least if someone is just grabbing info from an established repeater there was a password or something on that repeater tied to its name, location and tones maybe. At least make it harder to screw up and perhaps a deterrent to outright abuse. 

52 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

Assumicide ? I like that, I’m sure I’ll have a chance to use it myself. 
I agree with some kind of strict procedural approval idea. I’m not sure how you make it full proof but at least if someone is just grabbing info from an established repeater there was a password or something on that repeater tied to its name, location and tones maybe. At least make it harder to screw up and perhaps a deterrent to outright abuse. 

I looked, but I don’t see how a person claims a repeater as their own. 

B4D6F744-4051-4244-BB1E-CF96A6B9F690.png

5BE6DCD3-09EB-4BDF-B8B5-AF3FC4BA4D58.png

2 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

He hasn’t been on in five days and only had his license 15 days. How do you even send this guy an email from the repeater page to tell him he f’d up other than using the request? I only know how to do that on the forum. 

The fact that he has only had this license for a couple weeks May be meaningless. Remember a couple months ago we had a guy ranting on here who had canceled his own licenses repeatedly and obtained new licenses. If a person didn’t trace back to his FRN he might never know it was a serial offender. 

14 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

The fact that he has only had this license for a couple weeks May be meaningless. Remember a couple months ago we had a guy ranting on here who had canceled his own licenses repeatedly and obtained new licenses. If a person didn’t trace back to his FRN he might never know it was a serial offender. 

In this instance, the FCC only has one FRN and one license of any kind issued to a Roger de Freitas of Torrance California. 

16 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Good point.  I guess there are people out there that do things I can't understand. I just don't get what someone gains from saying a repeater is theirs when it's not. I just can't wrap my head around that. One of the many mysteries. ?‍♂️

2 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

Good point.  I guess there are people out there that do things I can't understand. I just don't get what someone gains from saying a repeater is theirs when it's not. I just can't wrap my head around that. One of the many mysteries. ?‍♂️

Honest people generally don’t understand dishonest people. That’s one reason scams work as well as they do. 

10 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

In this instance, the FCC only has one FRN

More reason to think they just don't get what they are doing. That is something I see more than ill intent in life. I know someone that cut the phone line cord to there house phones base because they couldn't find the wireless hand set that was beeping in the middle of the night due to a low battery. BEEP! I mean what did they think that would solve?  I was just tring to give someone who dosn't even seem to be on the forum the benefit of doubt and it looks like only Rich could even tell the guy he's blowing it. 

5 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

More reason to think they just don't get what they are doing. That is something I see more than ill intent in life. I know someone that cut the phone line cord to there house phones base because they couldn't find the wireless hand set that was beeping in the middle of the night due to a low battery. BEEP! I mean what did they think that would solve?  I was just tring to give someone who dosn't even seem to be on the forum the benefit of doubt and it looks like only Rich could even tell the guy he's blowing it. 

I have a very good friend who paid monthly charges on a Western Electric telephone he had gotten under Mountain Bell. He paid for years because he couldn’t find it. Finally I convinced him to contact the successor US West. They immediately took it off his account and stopped charging him (going forward). Sometimes a person is too close to the problem. 

• 4 weeks later...