Antenna selection home base station

WRWJ577

• 2 weeks later...

I have my telescoping flag pole on the way. It will be secured to my second story deck railing and a five gallon bucket of concrete for the base then secured to the fascia board 8 feet up. On top will be my tuned today Tram 1486.? A 50 foot run of Times Microwave LMR400 to the wouxon 1000g and the house service ground directly below the deck.

Edited by WRWR489
More details

26 minutes ago, WRWR489 said:

I have my telescoping flag pole on the way. It will be secured to my second story deck railing and a five gallon bucket of concrete for the base then secured to the fascia board 8 feet up. On top will be my tuned today Tram 1486.? A 50 foot run of Times Microwave LMR400 to the wouxon 1000g and the house service ground directly below the deck.

I just did a flag pole for my antenna (Comet GP-6 GMRS/MURS) yesterday, see the thread I posted earlier today if it helps you any.

I two am a newbie who just received my Wouxun KG1000 G Plus radio.  I am also looking for a base station antenna.  I really do not want to set up a long mast, tower or flag pole given the HOA already prohibits flags.  Was thinking of something like a 4 to 6 Foot piece of PVC securely mounted to the edge of the roof with some kind of antenna on the top.  Is there a decent dual band antenna out there that will work, not break the bank and not need to be tied down with 87 guy wires to keep it from blowing a way.

Looking for recommendations on antenna and mounting.  That J-Pole mentioned at the beginning of the thread looks interesting.

8 hours ago, diddlyv said:

I two am a newbie who just received my Wouxun KG1000 G Plus radio.  I am also looking for a base station antenna.  I really do not want to set up a long mast, tower or flag pole given the HOA already prohibits flags.  Was thinking of something like a 4 to 6 Foot piece of PVC securely mounted to the edge of the roof with some kind of antenna on the top.  Is there a decent dual band antenna out there that will work, not break the bank and not need to be tied down with 87 guy wires to keep it from blowing a way.

Looking for recommendations on antenna and mounting.  That J-Pole mentioned at the beginning of the thread looks interesting.

Dual Band? What two bands? 

This is what I went with Laird FG4605 5 dB Omni

20230228_082121.thumb.jpg.d3eb4847d6b7682ec2ad005f28614e8f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/30/2023 at 4:46 PM, Sshannon said:

This is absolutely correct.  A lot of people assume that if a tower is grounded at its base, it provides some level of protection, but it must be bonded to the electrical service ground system as well.  It's not uncommon to measure a voltage between two different points in the ground and without bonding, that voltage is being carried on the shield of your antenna feed line and through your radio equipment.

A simplified and illustrated reference that's pretty understandable is this one.  It refers to "Radio Telescopes" but don't let that hang you up:

https://reeve.com/Documents/Articles Papers/Reeve_AntennaSystemGroundingRequirements.pdf but the ones WRUU653 posted above are good to have as well. 

A denser article is the one I've attached below from Polyphasor.  It's not as easy to digest (at least for me), but it's more specific for some things. Some of the most important points, such as the importance of a single point ground, can be too easily overlooked.

Steve

1485-013.pdf 101.74 kB · 4 downloads

If I ground my antenna pole at the base and have the Ed Fong antenna encased in PVC pipe should I be concerned about the current being carried back into my radio equipment?