Avoiding FRS channels

WRWP775

On 5/7/2023 at 7:00 PM, Adamdaj said:

01 through 07 FRS / GMRS    2 watts ERP Handhelds or Mobiles

08 through 14 FRS ONLY       1/2watt ERP Handhelds Only
15 through 22 FRS / GMRS     5 watts       Handhelds or Mobiles        

23 through 30 GMRS ONLY   HT 5watts, Mobiles 25 to 50 watts, Repeaters 25 to 50 watts        

As of 2017 reorganization, there are NO "FRS/GMRS" radios. The radio is EITHER FRS or GMRS, based upon features.

There are no FRS mobiles (the antenna would have to be part of the radio box itself).

FRS is NFM only. FRS is FIXED antenna, 2W MAX on 1-7/15-22 and 0.5W ERP on 8-14

GMRS is (w)FM (but many may be switched to NFM, and some Midland mobiles are only NFM). GMRS allows for interchangeable antennas. It is 5W max on 1-7, 50W max on 15-22 (and repeater 15rp-22rp/23-30 depending on radio), it also gained 8-14 at 0.5W ERP (which really conflicts with the interchangeable antenna capability). 8-14 would be permissible on a mobile IF it had a 0.5W capability and only a unity gain antenna.

7 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

8-14 would be permissible on a mobile IF it had a 0.5W capability and only a unity gain antenna.

I agree with most of your post with this exception, 8-14 would not be permitted on a mobile regardless of wattage or antenna gain.

“467 MHz interstitial channels. Only hand-held portable units may transmit on these 7 channels. The channel center frequencies are: 467.5625, 467.5875, 467.6125, 467.6375, 467.6625, 467.6875, and 467.7125 MHz.”

On 5/10/2023 at 6:20 PM, KAF6045 said:

As of 2017 reorganization, there are NO "FRS/GMRS" radios. The radio is EITHER FRS or GMRS, based upon features.

There are no FRS mobiles (the antenna would have to be part of the radio box itself).

FRS is NFM only. FRS is FIXED antenna, 2W MAX on 1-7/15-22 and 0.5W ERP on 8-14

GMRS is (w)FM (but many may be switched to NFM, and some Midland mobiles are only NFM). GMRS allows for interchangeable antennas. It is 5W max on 1-7, 50W max on 15-22 (and repeater 15rp-22rp/23-30 depending on radio), it also gained 8-14 at 0.5W ERP (which really conflicts with the interchangeable antenna capability). 8-14 would be permissible on a mobile IF it had a 0.5W capability and only a unity gain antenna.

Ok What Ever you said, I wasn't entirely missed informed. Hey, I read the FCC Part 95 rules and regulations, so maybe you see something that have I overlooked. However, I know for sure that I am correct in regard to channels 08 through 14 are narrow band and limited to 1/2-watt ERP.  Don't tell me that I'm wrong, because I know what I have read, so you can't say that I entirely wrong, just I won't say you're entirely correct.

I just went back and did a search under FCC part 95 R&Rs section B the bandwidth requirement for FRS/ GMRS channels. I'm not ashamed to admit that I was wrong about the bandwidth. However, I was correct about transmitting power, channels 08 through 14 are limited to 1/2-watt 0.5mw ERP. That's something you can say that I'm wrong about that. As far as the repeaters channel spacing requirements, someone goofed up 95 Section E. Either the FCC or the Radio manufacturers has made an error the majority the radios already out there. According to the FCC the repeater channel spacing is listed at 20.0k where manufacturers, such as BTECH MIDLAND or MOTOROLA has their radios set for 25.0k. Don't tell that I don't know what I am talking about, because I do, do my homework when it comes to radios or other things that I'm interested in. 

27 minutes ago, Adamdaj said:

IAs far as the repeaters channel spacing requirements, someone goofed up 95 Section E. Either the FCC or the Radio manufacturers has made an error the majority the radios already out there. According to the FCC the repeater channel spacing is listed at 20.0k where manufacturers, such as BTECH MIDLAND or MOTOROLA has their radios set for 25.0k. Don't tell that I don't know what I am talking about, because I do, do my homework when it comes to radios or other things that I'm interested in. 

The spacing numbers are correct. Channels are 25 kHz wide, but the modulation deviation is 20 kHz leaving a 2.5 kHz guard band to prevent bleed over on adjacent channels.

Just now, BoxCar said:

The spacing numbers are correct. Channels are 25 kHz wide, but the modulation deviation is 20 kHz leaving a 2.5 kHz guard band to prevent bleed over on adjacent channels.

Oh Ok !

I apologize I made a slight error or completely way out there as if I don't know anything about radios or anything else.

Sorry !

It seems that I post something or add my two cents, I always windup looking like an illiterate individual, which I'm not. I have to admit I confuse myself at times. because I do my best to be knowledgeable about the Rules and Regulations when it comes to personal or business communications.  Right now, I'm surprised that have madid this far as a General Class Licensee and a VE. I should sound be more confident and be knowledgeable about the FCC Rules and Regulations from 90 95 and especially 97.

40 minutes ago, Adamdaj said:

It seems that I post something or add my two cents, I always windup looking like an illiterate individual, which I'm not. I have to admit I confuse myself at times. because I do my best to be knowledgeable about the Rules and Regulations when it comes to personal or business communications.  Right now, I'm surprised that have madid this far as a General Class Licensee and a VE. I should sound be more confident and be knowledgeable about the FCC Rules and Regulations from 90 95 and especially 97.

All of us make mistakes. It’s how we react when we learn about them that people remember. Don’t get down on yourself. For the most part you’re amongst friends.