GMRS Required (and rentable!) at Texas Off-Road Park

Over2U

1 minute ago, Over2U said:

We require every vehicle to have a GMRS radio. We do rent them for $7/day if needed.

Very interesting! It makes a lot of sense, and could save people a lot of heartache. I wonder how they handle licensing? (Serious question. Legally speaking, you can't just hand someone a radio for a licensed service and say have fun.)

Man... I want to go to Merus so badly.  I have been trying to get to Moab and to the Rubicon for 2 years, but money isn't working out.  Maybe next year and I can add Merus to the list.

A huge majority of the offroad community has moved to GMRS and FRS.  I have 3 friends that have been to Merus who have told me there is basically no cell coverage in a huge area of the park.  CB is rapidly going to the wayside, so making sure customers have the proper safety equipment, including a radio, makes a lot of sense.

Response from MERUS:

"You do not need a license to communicate over GMRS at MERUS. This is just used as emergency communications while in the park. You can wheel on any radio you would like. But you must carry or rent a GMRS to be able to contact the office while at MERUS."

Well OK then. Let the debate begin. Or not. 

3 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

Response from MERUS:

"You do not need a license to communicate over GMRS at MERUS. This is just used as emergency communications while in the park. You can wheel on any radio you would like. But you must carry or rent a GMRS to be able to contact the office while at MERUS."

Okay I'm game.

You do not need a license to communicate over GMRS at MERUS-    Is it in the United States? Then yes you do.

This is just used as emergency communications while in the park. You can wheel on any radio you would like. But you must carry or rent a GMRS to be able to contact the office while at MERUS.- Fair enough but it needs to be an emergency to use it to "contact the office" if you care about following the FCC rules and you don't have a license. 

I'm interested in what radio they will rent you.  I also would not be surprised if they are a Midland FRS radio.

12 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

Response from MERUS:

They are wrong and right at the same time.  LOL

"You do not need a license to communicate over GMRS at MERUS..."

With very, very limited exception, this is false.  Being on private property doesn't mean you can violate the FCC rules.

This is just used as emergency communications while in the park.

During a life threatening emergency if you are initiating and facilitating communications to save life, you can ignore the rules (for the most part). 

17 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

"But you must carry or rent a GMRS to be able to contact the office while at MERUS."

To do the legally, you need a license, unless its a life threatening situation.

17 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

Yep... it's happening now.  LOL

43 minutes ago, back4more70 said:

My opinion is that the park would be better off renting out MURS radios.  No license issues and decent terrain coverage.  But there is that Midland sponsorship...

Only issue with that is the majority of off roaders going there likely already have GMRS so then they would have to monitor both. 

4 minutes ago, Over2U said:

GMRS Rental Price Increase (From Merus Adventure FAQ Page ‘What to Bring’ :What do I need to bring to off-road at MERUS?

1. A 4 wheel drive vehicle 
  2. A working Fire extinguisher (We Sell these at the office for $30) 
  3. GMRS radio. (We rent these at the office for $15)

Yep, both prices ($7 and $15) are on their website.

1 hour ago, nokones said:

Are they using simplex and what channel or are they communicating through a Repeater? If a repeater than it is GMRS and more than likely more than 2 watts, than a license is required.

I put in another question to them to ask them what frequencies and radios they use / rent. I'll post it here.

Everything you want to know looks like it’s on Midlands site. Yes they have a repeater and radios look to be Midland X-Talker T71VP3 which is an FRS radio. The mobile radios are Gmrs. 

https://midlandusa.com/blogs/blog/gmrs-two-way-radios-support-texas-toyota-takeover-event

okay to be fair it might not be everything you want to know ?