Search & Rescue Group Adopts GMRS/FRS Channel 3

Over2U

“Colorado Search and Rescue Association FRS Radio Use for Backcountry SAR

Position Paper : 04/10/23

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

If someone becomes lost or injured in the Colorado backcountry and is using family radio services or general mobile radio service radios (both types referred to herein as “FRS” radios), Colorado Search and Rescue Association (CSAR) designates FRS radio Channel 3.0 [462.61250 MHz] as the default during backcountry search and rescue (Backcountry SAR) emergencies. If other methods of communication are not being used, Backcountry SAR responders, if equipped, may default to Channel 3.0 to communicate with those involved. If possible, others are encouraged to monitor Channel 3.0 but not to use it for routine communications, so that in the event someone calls for assistance they can help get word to the local 911 dispatch center or assist directly. Backcountry SAR teams in Colorado do not actively monitor FRS/GMRS channels but most will be able to utilize FRS radios once they have been alerted by a 911 dispatch center and have arrived in the area of the incident.”

Great, a step in the right direction and a plan in place for people to use in case of an emergency while enjoying the backcountry in that area.  They should have designated a CTCSS but, since the FRS radios can't split the use of CTCSS or DPL its best just leave it carrier squelch.  My thought was at least the portables should encode 141.3 and leave the decoder carrier squelch.

2 hours ago, nokones said:

They should have designated a CTCSS but, since the FRS radios can't split the use of CTCSS or DPL its best just leave it carrier squelch.  My thought was at least the portables should encode 141.3 and leave the decoder carrier squelch.

I think the Colorado Group improved on Wyoming’s “Be 307 Aware” scheme (Channel 3, PL #7) by leaving CTCSS/DPL OFF. Especially in an emergency situation, simpler is better.

3 hours ago, Over2U said:

I think the Colorado Group improved on Wyoming’s “Be 307 Aware” scheme (Channel 3, PL #7) by leaving CTCSS/DPL OFF. Especially in an emergency situation, simpler is better.

I agree.  Having just a channel specified without any tones makes the most sense.  Monitor 3 without a tone. Then, all a person needs to remember in an emergency is to switch to channel 3. They will be heard. Now if the person who’s having the emergency has a tone set on their receiver they might not hear a response. Other than public education or getting manufacturers to leave tones clear by default on channel 3 I don’t know a way around that.

I don't know if I'm misreading the post or everyone else is, but that reads that the SAR team is using FRS/GMRS to talk amongst themselves while conducting a SAR operation. They aren't telling civilians to carry radios and use them on 3 for emergencies, which wouldn't make sense. The SAR team isn't using the FRS radios until AFTER a mission has started.

This says it all...

"Backcountry SAR teams in Colorado do not actively monitor FRS/GMRS channels but most will be able to utilize FRS radios once they have been alerted by a 911 dispatch center and have arrived in the area of the incident"

The write-up is not saying it's a tool for the victim to use in an emergency. The write-up says the responders are using them.  Now, this may be news for this Colorado area... but U/SAR teams in my area have been using FRS radios for decades. And it's mostly because so many volunteers shows up that there is no other practical way to help everyone stay in touch during the mission, due to the licensing and equipment restrictions. 

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but the whole thing seems Business As Usual. 

10 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

I don't know if I'm misreading the post or everyone else is, but that reads that the SAR team is using FRS/GMRS to talk amongst themselves while conducting a SAR operation. They aren't telling civilians to carry radios and use them on 3 for emergencies, which wouldn't make sense. The SAR team isn't using the FRS radios until AFTER a mission has started.

I think you're misreading the post.  ?

This is how I'd paraprase it:  "If you are lost and have FRS/GMRS radios, call for help on channel 3.0.  SAR teams can use that channel to talk to you if there is no other means.  Others are encouraged to monitor 3.0 (and NOT use it for routine communications) and call 911 if they hear the lost party."  I see no indication that SAR teams use FRS/GMRS to communicate internally.

Just saw this on another radio related forum. Anything is better than nothing, as long as it is effective communications when it is needed. Seems like this topic goes around every few months. In the Olympic National Forest in Washington State for example, Channel 1 FRS  with no tones is monitored and mentioned as often as possible. I know some military and Coast Guard helicopter crews still carry issued Garmin Rino radio/GPS units for this reason. 

Then there are those that do not realize that Channel 1 may not be the same on every radio (older FRS radios, and those by different manufacturers), or that post-2017 radios should have a standard channel/frequency plan. With cheaper radios proliferating, that require programming, this can confuse many people. 

I still carry my own Garmin Rino's when out and about, no matter which state I am in, as it does seem to be beneficial....and there always seems to be someone on FRS, even in remote areas. (I also use a Motorola XPR7550e and Anytone 878 variant as well). 

4 hours ago, marcspaz said:

Below is some additional text that I did not post from the Colorado SAR Groups (CSAR) lengthy announcement:

“In the event of a backcountry emergency:

If the subject or party member has an FRS radio, they may describe the nature of the emergency and ask for help from anyone else listening; other recreationists in the area may be able to call 911 or respond to the subject’s aid themselves.

Once responders are notified and en route, unless the local sheriff’s office or Backcountry SAR team advises otherwise, CSAR recommends all parties switch to Channel 3.0. Responders may try to contact subjects on this channel, although be aware not all Backcountry SAR teams have FRS radios nor do they monitor Channel 3.0.

Responders to a backcountry emergency may ask folks using Channel 3.0, but not involved with this incident, to kindly move to another channel.

Please note, Wyoming has the “Be 307 Aware” program, designated after the Wyoming area code. CSAR is going with the simpler Channel 3.0.

From our experience, some users of FRS radios may not invest the time to understand the intricacies of their radio. On some radios, setting up Channel 3.0 can be done in advance and users can then be taught simply to go to Channel 3.0 during an emergency.

CONCLUSION

Having direct communications with rescue subjects can be crucial during emergencies. Although SAR teams do not actively monitor any FRS channel, establishing a common go-to channel when SAR has been activated by other means and are en route can greatly aid rescue operations and ultimately help save lives. CSAR is designating Channel 3.0 as the default FRS option during Backcountry SAR emergencies.”

*** NOTE: There are many manufacturers of FRS/GMRS radios, some with more channe

6 hours ago, wrci350 said:

I see no indication that SAR teams use FRS/GMRS to communicate internally.

They use them here a lot. mostly because the U/SAR teams are run by the government, but have a huge civilian volunteer base.  The agencies I help keep a bunch if inexpensive radios on hand, but usually the volunteers bring their own.

2 hours ago, Over2U said:

Below is some additional text that I did not post from the Colorado SAR Groups (CSAR) lengthy announcement:

“In the event of a backcountry emergency:

If the subject or party member has an FRS radio, they may describe the nature of the emergency and ask for help from anyone else listening; other recreationists in the area may be able to call 911 or respond to the subject’s aid themselves.

Once responders are notified and en route, unless the local sheriff’s office or Backcountry SAR team advises otherwise, CSAR recommends all parties switch to Channel 3.0. Responders may try to contact subjects on this channel, although be aware not all Backcountry SAR teams have FRS radios nor do they monitor Channel 3.0.

Responders to a backcountry emergency may ask folks using Channel 3.0, but not involved with this incident, to kindly move to another channel.

Please note, Wyoming has the “Be 307 Aware” program, designated after the Wyoming area code. CSAR is going with the simpler Channel 3.0.

From our experience, some users of FRS radios may not invest the time to understand the intricacies of their radio. On some radios, setting up Channel 3.0 can be done in advance and users can then be taught simply to go to Channel 3.0 during an emergency.

CONCLUSION

Having direct communications with rescue subjects can be crucial during emergencies. Although SAR teams do not actively monitor any FRS channel, establishing a common go-to channel when SAR has been activated by other means and are en route can greatly aid rescue operations and ultimately help save lives. CSAR is designating Channel 3.0 as the default FRS option during Backcountry SAR emergencies.”

*** NOTE: There are many manufacturers of FRS/GMRS radios, some with more channe

In context, it makes a lot more sense. I appreciate the follow-up. 

2 hours ago, marcspaz said:

They use them here a lot. mostly because the U/SAR teams are run by the government, but have a huge civilian volunteer base.  The agencies I help keep a bunch if inexpensive radios on hand, but usually the volunteers bring their own.

Other than training none of our teams use FRS/GMRS. We have one GMRS repeater in a county park and if we know someone is on it we will monitor but 99% of the time we are on TLMR or VSAR16 per policy. Our team actually has a policy that they can only carry one radio and must monitor operations channels. 

4 minutes ago, WRBS433 said:

Wow, some people need to get their 6th booster.  Your post was pretty clear as originally written.

Congratulations... you wrote the dumbest thing I've read on the internet today! You should be proud. You beat out a lot of competitors. 

i think it would be cool to have a nation wide standard. only in the context of cb is channel 9 emergency use only. back in the day I would keep my cb on 9 monitor at all times other than when using to coms locally. actually was involved in a few situations medivac was invoked by my radio and camp crew driving to pay phone for 911 or getting to cell service. unfortunately GMRS did not set up that way.

so oh well I will scan gmrs when in idle, not using for local com and see what happens. I do still watch cb 9 but cb is painfull to listen to. hope GMRS does not go there.

10 hours ago, dugcyn said:

i think it would be cool to have a nation wide standard. only in the context of cb is channel 9 emergency use only. back in the day I would keep my cb on 9 monitor at all times other than when using to coms locally. actually was involved in a few situations medivac was invoked by my radio and camp crew driving to pay phone for 911 or getting to cell service. unfortunately GMRS did not set up that way.

so oh well I will scan gmrs when in idle, not using for local com and see what happens. I do still watch cb 9 but cb is painfull to listen to. hope GMRS does not go there.

Back when CB was more popular I was a member of REACT. We monitored CH9, did community events and our group put in a GMRS repeater on the at time emergency channel of 462.675. After REACT went defunct in that area SAR took over the repeater. Its been upgraded a few times and now has the travel tone but in the years it was monitored heavily the only folks on it were the REACT folks and there significant others. We talked about dropping it last year but its in a decent site and has an antenna. 

I still tend to monitor CH9 when I travel in my personal or work trucks and with scan on CB's now I can listen to other stuff if I so choose. 

Just a note that as a SAR guy like someone else above, we have our own trunked system or use a VHF ~150MHz frequency. I think it's a fine idea to say that we should listen to a given GMRS/FRS though and to popularize that. Often times, even with a Spot/InReach we get within a few hundred yards but a few hundred yards on a mountain side is a HUGE amount of terrain that can take an hour or more to close in on. Being able to get in touch with folks on radio would be extremely helpful.

3 hours ago, NevadaBlues said:

Just a note that as a SAR guy like someone else above, we have our own trunked system or use a VHF ~150MHz frequency. I think it's a fine idea to say that we should listen to a given GMRS/FRS though and to popularize that. Often times, even with a Spot/InReach we get within a few hundred yards but a few hundred yards on a mountain side is a HUGE amount of terrain that can take an hour or more to close in on. Being able to get in touch with folks on radio would be extremely helpful.

I agree that the primary user of a designated FRS/GMRS Emergency frequency would be the person in distress, more than a properly equipped SAR Organization.

• 5 months later...
On 5/3/2023 at 7:27 AM, marcspaz said:

This says it all...

"Backcountry SAR teams in Colorado do not actively monitor FRS/GMRS channels but most will be able to utilize FRS radios once they have been alerted by a 911 dispatch center and have arrived in the area of the incident"

The write-up is not saying it's a tool for the victim to use in an emergency. The write-up says the responders are using them.  Now, this may be news for this Colorado area... but U/SAR teams in my area have been using FRS radios for decades. And it's mostly because so many volunteers shows up that there is no other practical way to help everyone stay in touch during the mission, due to the licensing and equipment restrictions. 

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but the whole thing seems Business As Usual. 

You are correct. The same goes for Wyoming's Be 307 aware.

On 11/3/2023 at 8:23 AM, WRZD727 said:

The write-up is not saying it's a tool for the victim to use in an emergency

I believe that the write-up for Wyoming, and now Colorado, is, in fact, saying EXACTLY that: ‘Persons in the backcountry SHOULD carry a properly programmed FRS/GMRS Radio for use in an emergency’.  Why else would Homeland Security in the State of Wyoming be advertising their “Be 307 Aware” program with prominently displayed posters if this radio scheme was only for internal use within SAR Teams?

4 hours ago, Over2U said:

I believe that the write-up for Wyoming, and now Colorado, is, in fact, saying EXACTLY that: ‘Persons in the backcountry SHOULD carry a properly programmed FRS/GMRS Radio for use in an emergency’.  Why else would Homeland Security in the State of Wyoming be advertising their “Be 307 Aware” program with prominently displayed posters if this radio scheme was only for internal use within SAR Teams?

Here’s exactly what they say:

In Wyoming, people frequently need the assistance of Search and Rescue. No matter how small or large the situation might be, Search and Rescue volunteers are there to help get people home safely. 

Here are some steps you can take to increase your chances of being rescued.

• Buy an FRS/GMRS capable radio or walkie talkie and program the 307 channel into the radio. Program to UHF 462.6125 Privacy Code 85.4 or Channel 3 and Privacy code 07 (307). 

• If, or when, you become stranded, if searchers are looking for you they can attempt to contact you on this channel. It is not a 911 type channel.

• Always tell someone where you are going and when you plan on coming back. Ask local authorities if a check-in form is available.

• Pack appropriate gear and supplies. See resource link below.

• Have a portable radio and have it programmed to the 307 Channel. 

• This channel is not a 911, but it can assist you when monitored by Search and Rescue personnel.

• Check the weather and avalanche forecast.

• Search and Rescue personnel will not actively monitor channel.