Dual XTL-5000 Install Finally Complete

marcspaz

Well, it took a bit of work to finish installing my two XTL-5000 radios. A total of about 14 hours spread over a month. A big part of it was making it look as clean as I could. The transceivers are pretty well hidden under the front seats. I had to move them from under the rear seats because they took up too much space. I am much happier with this setup.

From left to right: UHF XLT-5000, VHF XLT-5000, Yaesu FTM-300DR VHF/UHF w/Crossband Repeater & APRS, Yaesu FT-891 HF. It may seem odd to have 4 transceivers in 1 vehicle, but they all serve a specific purpose; each a role that none of the others can fill.

5 hours ago, gortex2 said:

Looks good Marc. Always nice to see a thought out install. My 8500's are both on the back wall of my JT with my FTM400 deck. Wanted it all high enough to be out of water. Been there in the JK.

I would love to have them on the back wall of the cab, but I would have to gut a lot of interior plastic out from behind the seats. The only place back there any radios would fit.... my FMT-300D and FT-891 are already there.

I have been staying out of water and mud holes for the past few years. I figured they would be fine for now. I am going to seal the floor pan from outside to help prevent water infiltration. 

2 hours ago, hfd376 said:

How did you get the displays to "scan" like that?

Yeah... LOL probably should have shot the video with roof panels on so I could run a slower  shutter speed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice job! I am big fan of clean installations. How do you like the "CB Bar?" I am going to be moving on from my Midland MXT275 to an Anytone D578, which lacks a detachable faceplate, so I will need to be able to see the radio and interact with it's buttons and knobs. Seems like it might be the cleanest way to mount a radio without a detachable faceplate.

2 hours ago, WROZ437 said:

Nice job! I am big fan of clean installations. How do you like the "CB Bar?" I am going to be moving on from my Midland MXT275 to an Anytone D578, which lacks a detachable faceplate, so I will need to be able to see the radio and interact with it's buttons and knobs. Seems like it might be the cleanest way to mount a radio without a detachable faceplate.

I appreciate the kudos! 

The CB Bar was a great addition. It's hollow square stock with some pre-drilled hole, but it's also easy to use self-tapping sheet metal screws for custom installations. The tubing helped me hide most of the wiring up there.