Repeater requests, but no reply

Templeton

12 minutes ago, nokones said:

What channel are you using?

The initial question stipulated that the radio was an FRS radio. To me that assumes that the radio is compliant with the rules regarding certification of FRS radios.  Given the following rule I'm curious why the question about channels is relevant:

95.587(a) Transmit frequency capability. FRS transmitter types must not be capable of transmitting on any frequency or channel other than those listed in § 95.563.

1 hour ago, WRXE944 said:

Thank you all. 

Now is there any difference if I use my FRS radio to communicate with my grandson who is using the GMRS HT I gave him and he uses my GMRS call sign (as a family member)?

GMRS license sharing is limited to Immediate family members, who are the licensee's spouse, children, grandchildren, stepchildren, parents, grandparents, stepparents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, and in-laws.

I believe that if you're on FRS, you don't have have to ID, but your grandson would be allowed to operate with your ID for GMRS compliance.

There is no difference. The radios themselves are not licensed, the operator holds the license. If a GMRS radio is talking to another radio, no matter the type, on FRS frequencies then they are FRS units talking on frequencies licensed by rule and do not have to identify. If the channel is GMRS, then they must identify.

15 minutes ago, BoxCar said:

There is no difference. The radios themselves are not licensed, the operator holds the license. If a GMRS radio is talking to another radio, no matter the type, on FRS frequencies then they are FRS units talking on frequencies licensed by rule and do not have to identify. If the channel is GMRS, then they must identify.

Since the 2017 reorganization, there are no "FRS" only frequencies. All simplex channels are shared between the two services. The whole goal of the 2017 changes is that one is either using a GMRS radio (license required) OR an FRS radio -- no flipping from one service to another based on usage.

The main differences are: FRS radios have fixed antennas, narrowband FM on ALL channels; max 2W on 1-7/15-22 (0.5 W on 8-14). GMRS radios may have interchangeable antennas, are wide FM on 1-7/15-22 (8-14 have the same restriction as FRS), and may use 5W on 1-7 (up to 50W on 15-22). Channels 1-7 existed BEFORE FRS was created as a service (blame RatShack).

1 hour ago, BoxCar said:

GMRS radios, those certified under 95e, are GMRS Stations.

In order to use a GMRS Station, you must be operating under the authority of a licensed user.  In that instance you must comply with all of the rules in 95e, including those regarding identification (using your call sign)

FRS radios, those certified under 95b, are FRS Stations. If you're using one you are required to comply with the rules of 95b.  It's that simple.

No license is require to use an FRS Station. The rules for 95b do not require identification.  It doesn't matter if you have a GMRS license.

When a GMRS station talks to an FRS station, the person operating the GMRS station is required to follow GMRS rules. The person operation the FRS station is required to follow FRS rules.

58 minutes ago, WRXW945 said:

-off topic, I know.

No problem - we got off topic on page two or three and we even got off the "off topic" by now    😇

Welcome to the show 😂