Best no-worries GMRS base antenna?

WRXR374

Question

Past my last question about a stealth antenna... I have another location where I have no need to worry about any pesky HOA.  I want to maximize reach and gain.  I do not want anything that would need guy wires or anything like that.  What's the best single mast antenna for this?  Is there a mount that's better than others?  No, I don't know why one would be "better", and if it doesn't matter, fine.  Cable - what's the best type/brand to use to minimize loss and have it stand up for a long time so i don't have to worry about replacing.  What else should i be thinking about?

14 answers to this question

DB404/408 is a really good antenna. I have some on towers for 25+ years. 1/2" LDF at minimum for anything over 20' although some of my repeaters run 7/8". Mast is a huge topic. 10' 1 3/4" aluminum is my go to for basic house mount, but would place a rohn 25 tower for most. As said plan to spend some funds on it. 

I am using both a DB404 and a Comet CA 712 EFC. Both seem to be working well with a slight edge going to the Comet. Weird, but it seems to perform better, but it most cecertainly will not outlast the DB404. Maybe it's the 9 dBi gain over the 404's 5.9 that gives it better performance? Either way, both decent antennas 

The "best" is one that works well & fits your budget.

Are you looking to work simplex to local portables? Mobiles?  Or, do you just want to communicate through distant (or local) repeater(s)?  If it's through a repeater, do you want to work multiple repeaters in different compass directions? Or, just one specific repeater? How far away are the repeaters you want to work? Any issues of terrain? 75 miles in Kansas is a probably a different solution than 25 miles in the foothills of Colorado.

The answers to those questions would likely change the suggestions you are going to get, and you might want to put up a budget range or limit to define the dollars you'd intend to spend.

I've seen people work a repeater with a paperclip for an antenna. I've also seen guys working earth-moon-earth contests. Those are probably the 2 extremes you could fall between.

On 6/24/2023 at 6:29 PM, WRXR374 said:

Past my last question about a stealth antenna... I have another location where I have no need to worry about any pesky HOA.  I want to maximize reach and gain.  I do not want anything that would need guy wires or anything like that.  What's the best single mast antenna for this?  Is there a mount that's better than others?  No, I don't know why one would be "better", and if it doesn't matter, fine.  Cable - what's the best type/brand to use to minimize loss and have it stand up for a long time so i don't have to worry about replacing.  What else should i be thinking about?

I HAVE A TRAM 1486 AND ON THE CUTTING CHART,1ST CUT AT 456 FREQ I HAVE AN SWR OF 1.5. LOOK UP THE ANTENNA ITS GOT A 6.5 GAIN AND IF YOU PUT IT UP JUST 20 FEET YOU WILL HAVE A GREAT ANTENNA FOR UNDER $100.00. SINCE YOU ARE NOT GOING TO USE A REPEATER YOU CAN USE LMR400 OR EVEN RG8X

TRAM 1486 1ST CUT 456=1.5.jpeg

11 hours ago, WRXR374 said:

I'd prefer to not spend that much!  I am curious what they would get me, though.

DB404 is $500 alone. Add in shipping and hardline and connectors and your at $1000 really quick. 

As said its all about budget. I know alot of folks use the Ed Fong and rave about them. Personally I think they are junk but up to you. The FG Series Laird antenna is a good all around base antenna. Some good LMR and a FG will work well for a basic base radio. If simplex is your plan then thats a good option. 

I paid about $99 for my Tram 1486 which is on one section (9 feet) of a telescoping flagpole, attached to the chimney, no guy-wires.  I get about 50 miles of farz and have not worried about it since I put it up 2 years ago, making it, by definition, a "worry free" base antenna.

I use it as both a repeater antenna and as a base-station (simplex) antenna.

On 6/25/2023 at 7:25 AM, Radioguy7268 said:

Are you looking to work simplex to local portables? Mobiles?  Or, do you just want to communicate through distant (or local) repeater(s)?  If it's through a repeater, do you want to work multiple repeaters in different compass directions? Or, just one specific repeater? How far away are the repeaters you want to work? Any issues of terrain? 75 miles in Kansas is a probably a different solution than 25 miles in the foothills of Colorado.

Fair enough!  The answer is "yes"... I want an omnidirectional antenna that will let me talk to mobiles and repeaters.  I have no specific use in mind.  The topography is fairly flat.  I want to get it as high as possible with no goofy engineering... a length of pipe attached to the eaves.  No massive towers, no guy wires.  For budget, let's say up to about $200 for the antenna.  Cable will be >50'  I can't imagine the mast, mounting brackets, assorted hardware, and someone willing to climb up there to mount it all should be crazy.  Let's say $500 for the whole project?

20 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

I paid about $99 for my Tram 1486 which is on one section (9 feet) of a telescoping flagpole, attached to the chimney, no guy-wires.  I get about 50 miles of farz and have not worried about it since I put it up 2 years ago, making it, by definition, a "worry free" base antenna.

I use it as both a repeater antenna and as a base-station (simplex) antenna.

So, here's an idea for a video for you!  Several people in various fora (I refuse to say "forums" with any more seriousness than you say "farz" 😆 ) have absolutely trashed Browning / Tram and insist that a Laird or Comet or something is the only possible way to go.  I am certain that much hilarity could be involved.

But I've wanted a flag pole for this location too... maybe I could have the flag with an antenna on top?  Kill two birds with one stone...

1 hour ago, WRXR374 said:

So, here's an idea for a video for you!  Several people in various fora (I refuse to say "forums" with any more seriousness than you say "farz" 😆 ) have absolutely trashed Browning / Tram and insist that a Laird or Comet or something is the only possible way to go.  I am certain that much hilarity could be involved.

But I've wanted a flag pole for this location too... maybe I could have the flag with an antenna on top?  Kill two birds with one stone...

I used to run a Tram 6140, and for $50 it's really hard to find an antenna that performs as well as it did, especially for how inconspicuous it is.  I'm now running a Browning BR-6155, and for the $110 I paid for it, it is an excellent performer.  I don't understand the negative comments about either antenna or the manufacturer(s).

With a budget of up to $200 for a base stick, you have plenty of options, just make sure it covers the 450-470 MHz (or 460-470 MHz) range:

https://theantennafarm.com/shop-by-categories/shop-all/base-antennas/commercial-base-antennas/976-omni-directional-antennas/250-380-525-mhz-uhf-antennas/by,product_price/dirAsc

16 hours ago, WRXR374 said:

Fair enough!  The answer is "yes"... I want an omnidirectional antenna that will let me talk to mobiles and repeaters.  I have no specific use in mind.  The topography is fairly flat.  I want to get it as high as possible with no goofy engineering... a length of pipe attached to the eaves.  No massive towers, no guy wires.  For budget, let's say up to about $200 for the antenna.  Cable will be >50'  I can't imagine the mast, mounting brackets, assorted hardware, and someone willing to climb up there to mount it all should be crazy.  Let's say $500 for the whole project?

Here a quick cost rundown on the antenna I put up recently. I just looked up my receipts, total was around $488 if it helps.

From DX Enineering:
Comet GP-6NC $170
50ft pre-terminated Type-N 400MAX cable $85
Wall Mount Brackets $44.00

From Home Depot:
30ft Aluminum Flagpole $167
Sika Fence Post Mix $14.00
Ground Strap $8.00 (already had a ground rod and wire)

1.JPG

2.JPG