Has anyone bought the NEW Baofeng GRMS UV-5R?

Tommy2watts

I am also waiting to rec my fit-it files from Abree. but since you have them here, I'll just borrow yours!  Worked great and problem is fix on my UV-5R GMRS radios.  Thank you sir.....

P.S.  If you have Nortons on your PC, it will flag a warning on the loader program.  I prompted Nortons to allow and run and all was good after that.  Also make sure you comm port is correct.

Bill Overton, Lost Wages (Las Vegas), NV  WRQL525

On 11/24/2023 at 8:01 AM, WRYZ926 said:

If you are wanting to save money then I will suggest the Baofeng UV-5R GMRS hand held radios. Here is a link to the radios I bought from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGHXV6Y4?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

These are certified for GMRS use and work fine. I haven't had any issues with the and $50 is a good price for two radios and extra antennas.

Got a GMRS handheld. Trying to get around it but so far this is way better than the one we use before. I'm able to pick up signals that are over 10 miles from house. This is definitely getting interesting. I cant wait to get my base antenna soon and make plans installing it the right way.  

I was watching Randy on Youtube.  Its full if information and he's very knowledgeable. Are you guys able to reach him on GMRS repeater. According to him, he's on a highly elevated place.  The few high elevation around there is Chino Hills, CA. La Verne is lower. Cant be Montebello for that's in the other side of 605.

Sorry for the late reply. I didnt get a notification. It was a Happy Thanksgiving too!

On 7/20/2023 at 7:37 PM, OffRoaderX said:

Mine works just like the non-GMRS UV-5R, except with slightly less guilt when I use it on GMRS frequencies.

It is 100% the same radio with just different programming.

Do you know of an obvious way to differentiate the old versus the new UV-5R. I'm interested in buying one because they're rather inexpensive but don't want to accidentally buy an old version.

On 7/24/2023 at 2:22 PM, WRYC330 said:

Yes, I paid with Paypal.

I replied to the seller this morning telling him that 462.550mhz and Channel 15 are one and the same, and are obviously within the GMRS UV-5R advertised transmit frequency range. And, of course 462.550 just happens to be the strongest repeater frequency at my QTH. I suspect that I am dealing with both a language barrier, and a seller who doesn't even know what he is selling... but that's going to be his problem, not mine. I just want to get what I paid for - nothing more and nothing less.

Have purchased hundreds of items from eBay over 20+ years, and have never had an issue like this. If I do not get a semi-intelligent reply & resolution from Mr walkietalkie, I was planning to file a claim with eBay... are you suggesting that a Paypal claim would be a better alternative? or are they one and the same?

I very much appreciate your input

In my Ebay experience their customer service does very little when you receive a box with SOMETHING in it. As far as they're concerned a bar of gold is the same as a brick as long as it shows up at your door. Paypal on the other hand is not as forgiving for the seller. I would recommend speaking with one of their reps as they will simply withhold the payment or force them to return it. I had a similar situation and Paypal got my $756 back.

15 hours ago, UncleYoda said:

The old ones are better than the new ones in some ways.  Old batteries would not be good however.  Can you ask the seller what the firmware version is?

I could try, Im not sure how attentive the baofeng people on amazon are. I would assume it is the new version because it is from the official baofeng store and says "GMRS Repeater Capable&FCC certified".  This is the link if you want to take a look: https://www.amazon.com/BAOFENG-Battery-Rechargeable-Repeater-Charging/dp/B0BGHXV6Y4/ref=pd_ci_mcx_mh_mcx_views_0?pd_rd_w=ylcNy&content-id=amzn1.sym.225b4624-972d-4629-9040-f1bf9923dd95%3Aamzn1.symc.40e6a10e-cbc4-4fa5-81e3-4435ff64d03b&pf_rd_p=225b4624-972d-4629-9040-f1bf9923dd95&pf_rd_r=57NX6BJKY2KRCJNNC1VT&pd_rd_wg=zYYVn&pd_rd_r=5f0de9b3-645e-4a14-9514-f2217b47bf4f&pd_rd_i=B0BGHXV6Y4&th=1

@arn your link does not work.

Here are the Baofeng UV-5R GMRS radios I purchased from the Baofeng Store on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGHXV6Y4?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

These are the Part 95E certified versions of the UV-5R. And I have not had the issues with either radio that others have had. Some of these radios will not transmit on channel 15 without a firmware update. Mine worked on all channels right out of the box.

@arn 's post that I responded to referenced only "UV-5R" - that is a HAM radio and that is what I was commenting on.  Y'all need to be really careful to use correct model #s in your questions if you want a good answer.  I have 2 "UV-5G"s I got a little over a year ago. and they are GMRS certified (no transmit on other freqs).  There were no others like "UV5R GMRS" when I got mine and I have no knowledge of, experience with, or interest in those.

p.s.  They're sold by Abbree, which is a vendor.  Btech is a vendor too.  They both claim to have a Baofeng Store, but they're not actually the Baofeng company.