Has anyone bought the NEW Baofeng GRMS UV-5R?

Tommy2watts

Well I found out that the UV-5R GMRS will indeed transmit on 2m VHF frequencies IF and only IF you save them to the radio and are in channel mode. 

The Baofeng GT-5R on the other hand will NOT transmit on any GMRS frequencies no matter if in VFO or channel mode.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2023 at 6:12 PM, WRYC330 said:

I have FOUR uv-5r GMRS units with that same exact problem. I bought the first 2 on eBay and found they would not TX on Ch15. I emailed the seller who said "just keep them" and sent me 2 more. And the second pair do the same thing... and likewise cannot be fixed with CHIRP. OK radios that are functional but with defects of one sort or another...  typical quality control issues. I paid peanuts for them and got what I paid for

just got the same radio from amazon - same problem. And I have another one on the way that I ordered before I found the problem with ch 15.

In the amazon page I ordered from there is a video on how to fix it and it's very quick. BUT, I can't find the firmware patch anywhere.  The name of the patch shown in the video is M8F3_BF_DOWNLOAD.

The video is the first video of a series of videos - last icon on the list of images on the left hand side of the page:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B18CPDKG?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

2 hours ago, WRYZ926 said:

I bought the two pack of the UV-5R GMRS radios from the Baofeng Amazon store and both work just fine on all channels. I bought mine on 9 Oct 2023

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGHXV6Y4?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

I tested both radios and they transmit and receive on all channels.

Same store I bought mine from @ Amazon. In both cases the seller is ABBREE.  It's a Chinese company and I cant find the damn patch to fix the radio and I even have the name of the patch...

M8F3_BF_DOWNLOAD is only the bootload utility, you still need the .kdh firmware/patch file. I have both as was provided to me by Abbree, but my kdh file is for the GMRS-9r, and did fix the issue.  I had to fight my way through figuring out how to contact them through Amazon, as they would not respond via any other contact method. I would venture to guess one could say “you get what you pay for”….

31 minutes ago, WRZE995 said:

M8F3_BF_DOWNLOAD is only the bootload utility, you still need the .kdh firmware/patch file. I have both as was provided to me by Abbree, but my kdh file is for the GMRS-9r, and did fix the issue.  I had to fight my way through figuring out how to contact them through Amazon, as they would not respond via any other contact method. I would venture to guess one could say “you get what you pay for”….

No S***!  But at least we got progress now! I really like the radio and would like to keep them. Any way you can help? At least tell me how you contacted them? Also, it's really possible that the .kdh file might be the same for both. I think the 9r and the GRMS 5r might have identical insides, with the 9r being waterproof...

The reason I say that is because the issue is just  a TX lock on GMRS15, exactly the same lock that they put on say NOAA weather frequencies. When I PTT I get the same beep and light on both.

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, jas said:

No S***!  But at least we got progress now! I really like the radio and would like to keep them. Any way you can help? At least tell me how you contacted them? Also, it's really possible that the .kdh file might be the same for both. I think the 9r and the GRMS 5r might have identical insides, with the 9r being waterproof...

The reason I say that is because the issue is just  a TX lock on GMRS15, exactly the same lock that they put on say NOAA weather frequencies. When I PTT I get the same beep and light on both.

Thanks!

I had to go use the “ask the seller a question” link in the product page, as if I hadn’t bought it yet… couldn’t find a way to contact them from my order itself…. Took about 5 links, and holding my toes crossed just right to even find the link…

Ultimately, I was emailed the files from ‘service@abbree.com’, so I guess you could try that route too? 

For the files, I’ll gladly send them your way, if you want to DM me or contact me directly in here, I’ll get your direct email and shoot them your way. But as I said in another post - try it at your own risk….

13 minutes ago, WRZE995 said:

I had to go use the “ask the seller a question” link in the product page, as if I hadn’t bought it yet… couldn’t find a way to contact them from my order itself…. Took about 5 links, and holding my toes crossed just right to even find the link…

Ultimately, I was emailed the files from ‘service@abbree.com’, so I guess you could try that route too? 

For the files, I’ll gladly send them your way, if you want to DM me or contact me directly in here, I’ll get your direct email and shoot them your way. But as I said in another post - try it at your own risk….

Really appreciate your response! I just did kind of the same thing except with a troubleshooting report through Amazon's new "messenger" thing to abbree and told them to send me the files so I can try them before returning the radios.  Amazon says they have 'till Nov 6 to respond.

If that fails then I'll DM you and let you know where you can send the files.  If they don't work then I can just press menu-40, reset them and send them back - I have 30 days to do so.

Gotta love this forum!! Great people. Thanks again.

On 10/14/2023 at 12:00 PM, WRYZ926 said:

Well I found out that the UV-5R GMRS will indeed transmit on 2m VHF frequencies IF and only IF you save them to the radio and are in channel mode.

The standard UV-5R will also t/r 1.25 meters if you set it up right.  Not sure about the GMRS version.  (Of course, you would need the correct antenna...)

23 hours ago, jas said:

Update: The seller (ARRBEE) responded to my request and they are sending me the channel 15 fix for the UV-5R GMRS radio. Once I receive it and test it I'll post the files here - IF it works....

Thanks again to WRZE995...

Update 2: The channel 15 fix arrived. I installed it and both radios now TX on 15. Problem solved.  I posted the files below.

Watch the video first because the boot loader (EXE file) is half in Chinese so it's tricky although the operation is easy - just three clicks:

I practiced the whole thing a couple of times without the radio to make sure everything was were it was supposed to be.

Put all the files in the same folder. Start the boot loader. Power on the radio in factory mode (see video). Connect the radio to the computer. Then:

1) select your comm port

2) select the .kdf file (in the long drop down field at the top of boot loader).

3) press the install button (top rectangular button on the right by the comm port selection drop down (watch video).

Once the .kdf fix loading gets to 100% -its done - no confirmation. At that point wait a couple of seconds and then turn the radio off and disconnect it.

Disclaimer: NOT my software!!! I'm NOT responsible for anything that happens to your radio or your computer. 

My install went fine and I have no signs of any viruses or such (I checked my virus software).

M8F3_BF_Download.exe GM_5R_M8_V02_231004_2.kdh

On 11/6/2023 at 7:09 AM, jas said:

Update 2: The channel 15 fix arrived. I installed it and both radios now TX on 15. Problem solved.  I posted the files below.

Watch the video first because the boot loader (EXE file) is half in Chinese so it's tricky although the operation is easy - just three clicks:

I practiced the whole thing a couple of times without the radio to make sure everything was were it was supposed to be.

Put all the files in the same folder. Start the boot loader. Power on the radio in factory mode (see video). Connect the radio to the computer. Then:

1) select your comm port

2) select the .kdf file (in the long drop down field at the top of boot loader).

3) press the install button (top rectangular button on the right by the comm port selection drop down (watch video).

Once the .kdf fix loading gets to 100% -its done - no confirmation. At that point wait a couple of seconds and then turn the radio off and disconnect it.

Disclaimer: NOT my software!!! I'm NOT responsible for anything that happens to your radio or your computer. 

My install went fine and I have no signs of any viruses or such (I checked my virus software).

M8F3_BF_Download.exe 498.5 kB · 2 downloads GM_5R_M8_V02_231004_2.kdh 37.61 kB · 3 downloads

Thanks for sharing, i bought these recently ---> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BY52V4LM?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1  but i am new to this, haven't test them yet.

1 hour ago, WRYS709 said:

The UV-5R(G)(X) series of radios is an excellent "gateway" radio into a lifelong struggle of buying newer, bigger and better radios to meet your needs!

And if you get your GMRS License and technician (or higher) license then you can double the costs since you will be looking at radios for HAM and GMRS.

Yes I fell down that rabbit hole. 🤣

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

@WRZM228 the link you posted is for a dual band 2m/70cm radio. It will not transmit on GMRS frequencies out of the box. It might be possible to perform the unlock hack to get them to work on GMRS frequencies.  Performing the unlock hack is another discussion all by itself.

Hi,

I have no experience with this radio. Our old midland hand held walkie-talkie died. Since I have a GMRS license I might as well bet a better one for me and the wife. The size f the battery and power attracted me since our old one was draining battery so fast no matter if we get the highest NMHi. Even the distance just barely goes 1/8 of a mile. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

If you are wanting to save money then I will suggest the Baofeng UV-5R GMRS hand held radios. Here is a link to the radios I bought from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGHXV6Y4?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

These are certified for GMRS use and work fine. I haven't had any issues with the and $50 is a good price for two radios and extra antennas.

24 minutes ago, wrci350 said:

https://www.amazon.com/Radioddity-GM-30-Handheld-Receiving-Overlanding/dp/B08SLR7W7F/

A little bit more, but a better radio IMHO.  And Black Friday sale!

I agree.  The Radioddity GM-30 is a great GMRS radio.  We bought a pair last spring and they have been great.   We did buy the extra RD332 antenna for a little more gain.   We typically get 2 miles range. 

On 11/6/2023 at 4:09 AM, jas said:

1) select your comm port

M8F3_BF_Download.exe 498.5 kB · 3 downloads GM_5R_M8_V02_231004_2.kdh 37.61 kB · 4 downloads