Has anyone bought the NEW Baofeng GRMS UV-5R?

Tommy2watts

4 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

Mine works just like the non-GMRS UV-5R, except with slightly less guilt when I use it on GMRS frequencies.

It is 100% the same radio with just different programming.

Thank You, Randy. I just bought one. I watch your info on youtube about the (NEW) UV-5 GRMS—friendly little radio for the money. Again Thank You RANDY.

Mine works fine.  Seems to receive okay with the antenna out the box.  Tested it with my other BF that I am scared to push the button on.  No problemo.  I really like that I have the USB charger thing so I can charge it in the truck. 

I plan on using them for "work actually" , I install a lot of Security cameras and its nice to talk to helper in areas with poor cell or when I just don't want to drop a $800 phone from the top of a lift or ladder.

I actually hit my first repeater today on it  I was driving in the vicinity.  (new to GMRS so I only really ever listened in on the repeater)

3 minutes ago, WRXV854 said:

(new to GMRS so I only really ever listened in on the repeater)

Welcome !!!

Hope you will have a chance to "jump on the repeater" soon 😉

Thank you!  

Someone did respond when I called in on the rd.  Wish I remember his call sign, but I don't :(

I had the handset adapted to a mobile antenna I just installed so I'm sure it helped.  Waiting to decide on what mobile radio I should go with but its still fun tinkering with the BF

Bought 2 of these on eBay (big mistake). Unresolved problems as follows...

1) Neither unit will transmit on Channel 15 . They only receive on Ch 15. All other channels work fine. I thought that maybe adding 462.550 as a memory channel would solve the problem, but when doing so, it still refuses to transmit on that frequency. The unit beeps when pressing PTT and the red transmit light stays blank... no transmission whatsoever.

2) The High Low Power Option does not work. The unit allegedly features a "high/low power" toggle switch to conserve battery power when high power is not needed that is activated by quickly pressing the "#" button. This is fully described in the owner's manual. But this does not function on either of my 2 units. The only way to transmit on lower power is to add all 15 high power frequencies as memory channels with the TX power set to low, or just use the 7 FRS channels. Works, but hardly convenient... and again something else that does not function correctly.

3) Programming with CHIRP or "PRG-UV-5R" (the unit's programming software) does not work. I thought that maybe I could gain some insight into the above referenced issues with programming, but that has proven to be another dead end. Using a cable labelled "Baofeng/Abbree PL2303 Chip" that came with the unit and pushing it into the mic jack as hard as I can after it clicks into place, I tried numerous Windows 10 drivers from Prolific as well as the drivers that came with the cable's CD. In addition to UV-5R, I also tried identifying the radio as a Baofeng UV6 or a Radioddity UV6 (as recommended in several Amazon reviews)... nothing works. The unit will simply not communicate with CHIRP or PRG-UV-5R software, so I cannot even try to address these issues myself.

I contacted the seller on eBay with these problems and here is his reply (verbatim):

"Frequency Range:GMRS(RX & TX),136-174 & 400-512MHz(Scanning RX)".

That's the entire reply...  a regurgitation of the frequency specifications... no solution, no suggestions, not even an acknowledgement of an understanding of the problems. (Maybe eBay's Mister Walkietalkee doesn't realize that 462.550 is a GMRS frequency) So, customer service and tech support get a big fat zero as well.

In hindsight, I wish I would have purchased them on Amazon so that I could return them at no cost. If anyone has any ideas on how to remedy these problems, I would be very appreciative.

Thank you

5 hours ago, WRYC330 said:

If anyone has any ideas on how to remedy these problems, I would be very appreciative.

If a Factory-Reset does not help, throw them in the trash and spend $40 on 2 new ones from Amazon - problem solved and lesson learned.. That lesson being that eBay is a den of liars and thieves.

Yes, I paid with Paypal.

I replied to the seller this morning telling him that 462.550mhz and Channel 15 are one and the same, and are obviously within the GMRS UV-5R advertised transmit frequency range. And, of course 462.550 just happens to be the strongest repeater frequency at my QTH. I suspect that I am dealing with both a language barrier, and a seller who doesn't even know what he is selling... but that's going to be his problem, not mine. I just want to get what I paid for - nothing more and nothing less.

Have purchased hundreds of items from eBay over 20+ years, and have never had an issue like this. If I do not get a semi-intelligent reply & resolution from Mr walkietalkie, I was planning to file a claim with eBay... are you suggesting that a Paypal claim would be a better alternative? or are they one and the same?

I very much appreciate your input

Got it - many thanks

Still curious if anybody else has these issues.  The fact that I purchased TWO units and they BOTH exhibit the same issues with transmitting, power selection, programming etc leads me to question whether these issues are unique to my units. It seems highly unlikely that I got 2 defective units with exactly the same defects... (well, OK - they're made in China, so then again maybe not highly unlikely)

2 hours ago, WRYC330 said:

It seems highly unlikely that I got 2 defective units with exactly the same defects...

In manufacturing, it is absolutely possible to have a few item get through with a problem not seen in the others. As automated as systems are these days, there are still humans involved.

1. My UV-5R GMRS flavored radio transmits fine on GMRS Ch15 and VFO 462.550
  2. The Low/High power (#) does not work on mine in Channel mode, but does work in Frequency mode 
  3. No problem connecting/programming on multiple computers - Statistically speaking, unless you know that your computer/cable works/can program other radios, this is more likely a Windows issue than a radio issue.

Thanks OffRoaderX for that valuable info.

RE 1) Unfortunately, the strongest repeater available to me just happens to occupy Ch 15 on 462.550 making this a major problem for me

RE 2) Yes, same behavior here... does not work in Channel mode, but does work in Frequency mode. But the unit does not transmit in Frequency mode... so what's the design logic of having a functioning Low/High power (#) toggle located there? 

RE 3) Downloaded and installed numerous USB/Serial port drivers that allegedly work with CHIRP on this unit... nada so far. Seller has offered to email me his programming software if I provide him with my email address (I'm hesitant to do that - call me suspicious).  I already have the software on the CD-ROM that came with the cable I purchased from him, so that offer is a waste of time

While trying to resolve this mess, I will purchase a few more on Amazon and will use your link as I really do enjoy your youtube videos... very informative.

If this GMRS thing works out, I plan to install a repeater up here.  My rural location is over 1,300' high with an unobstructed 180 degree 40+ mile view to north-east-south. RF energy up here is pretty amazing. I mention this as I know that you too also have a high elevation base... I assume that a repeater up here would really sizzle... yes?

Hello WRXE944:

So much good stuff here … many thanks for your kind assistance!

1 – RE: Alt Email Address -  I assume that would be for private communication between two members and thus bypassing the forum posts?  I would gladly enter a second alternative email address in my profile so that I not need bother everyone with this, but have not found where to do that.

2 – RE: Computer Experience - Well experienced with pc, but have never programmed a radio before.  The radio does not communicate with and is not recognized by the software. Here are the details.

·        Cable:  Purchased from the same seller as the two GMRS UV-R2 units and is marked “Baofeng/Abbree PL2303 chip”;

·         Programming Software Tried: CHIRP Next, CHIRP Legacy, and PRG-UV-5R (as recommended in the unit’s user manual);

·        Radio IDs Tried:  Baofeng UV-R2, Baofeng UV-5G, Radioddity UV-5G;

·         USB/Serial Drivers Tried: Prolific “PL2303 Vista 3200-GD55Plus Win 10” (from the Baofeng site), and Prolific “PL2303G” (from the CDROM that came with the cable referenced above)

3 – RE: Repeater Programming -  That is welcome news on Channel 15 as I thought it was going to be the 462.550mhz transmit frequency on the repeater, and Channel 15 transmit is strangely not functioning on either of my two new GMRS UV-5R units bought on eBay. I have programmed and added all of the high power GMRS channels into memory as low power channels (which I would use for snow plowing half mile driveway in the winter to stay in touch with my wife inside), so I got the basics down… I and am now  going to use your template to program the Keene NH repeater on 462.725 who kindly gave me permission yesterday.

I am still trying to figure out the identity of my local repeater on 462.550mhz. It identifies in Morse Code making ID more of a challenge. Its either the low power Manchester “550” repeater that you referenced, or the higher power “Lit Holler” repeater in Richmond… will contact the appropriate party when I figure out who’s who.  As I posted in an earlier conversation, coverage maps are meaningless for my location due to its elevation. (Example: I’m in  SW New Hampshire and I use old fashioned rabbit ears on my household TVs…  and I get 74 channels south to Providence RI and north to Portland ME… a radio enthusiast’s dream)!

I also receive a strong repeater signal on 462.575 identifying as “WRWL517”, but it’s not listed in any of the repeater databases, so I have no idea who this is or how to obtain permission. Any clues?

Thank you so much for all of your help. I just got my license, am brand new to the forum, and everyone has been extremely helpful. Now if I can only get Mr “walkietalkie” on eBay to make good on the two defective Bfengs that he sold me.

Best regards,

Ralph L

16 minutes ago, WRYC330 said:

I also receive a strong repeater signal on 462.575 identifying as “WRWL517”, but it’s not listed in any of the repeater databases, so I have no idea who this is or how to obtain permission. Any clues?

Look up the licensee on the repeater page of this website or on the FCC license search page and write a letter.  Every license is there. 

In partial defense of eBay...

I don't know if I would go as far as a "den of liars and thieves". I have been buying electronics (both new and used) on eBay for almost 25 years representing hundreds of purchases and have had no issues - until my last purchase which was two Baofeng GMRS UV-5R units, with two additional antennas (the extended range Abbree AR771 antennas), and a programming cable (labelled Baofeng-Abbree Pl2303 Chip). Everything was purchased from an eBay seller identified as "walkietalkie".. under 60 bucks total.

The cable was accompanied by a CD-ROM allegedly containing the correct drivers for the cable... forget it... garbage. I was unable to find a working Prolific driver online (problems with counterfeit chips, etc) so I emailed the seller 3 times to get the right driver, and he simply could not comprehend what I was asking for. I finally emailed Baofeng's outstanding tech support and within hours they emailed to me a working driver that Windows 10 does not choke on.  Problem SOLVED  

The two GMRS UV-5R units??  Strangely, neither will transmit on Channel 15 (nor 462.550mhz if programmed separately as a Memory channel).  Getting eBay's Mr walkietalkie to resolve this... forget it. This guy wouldn't know the difference between a GMRS radio and a Honda Civic. He indicates that he sells only new factory original Baofeng units, but I highly doubt he will honor Baofeng's 1 year warranty against defects if I push him that far. So, that problem remains UNSOLVED (so far)

I do think that eBay serves a purpose - it does have low pricing (I could not get the Baofeng package on Amazon for anything close to what I paid on eBay). But if something goes wrong post purchase, eBay sellers' support is usually a complete crap shoot, and refunds/returning product is a hassle and is going to cost you return shipping. If I would have purchased these on Amazon, these 2 units would have been returned no questions asked within days and at zero cost to me...  and Fedex (an hour away) picks the return up at my front door! I was also unaware that OffRoaderX (who does a great job of promoting GMRS with his outstanding videos) had an Amazon link purchasing link there... oh well - next time.

I bought the UV-5R PLUS not long ago. It was originally a ham radio, I unlocked it, programmed it for GMRS, replaced the ‘stubby’ antenna with the Authentic Genuine Nagoya NA-771G 15.3-Inch Whip GMRS (462MHz) Antenna SMA-Female for BTECH and BaoFeng Radios and love it! I’ve also gotten the UV-9G HT and it works equally as well. 

IMG_1155.thumb.jpeg.a3fca2da647602efcd7420b6feaff6cd.jpeg

@txrodehog thanks for showing a side-by-side comparison. I got my UV-5R and the letters on the number keys are really hard to read. It looks like the ones on the UV-9G are much easier to read. I've been thinking that my next radio might be a 9G and that photo puts me that much closer in the direction of the 9G.

P.S. I will click like on your post as soon as the system will let me. Too many reactions in the current 24hr period. 🙁

• 4 weeks later...

So, its been a month since my original GMRS UV-5R purchase. After going through EIGHT units, here's my epilogue:

1 - First pair purchased (on eBay):  Neither unit would transmit on Channel 15. Units simply beep and the red transmit light stays blank. Seller eventually refunded my full purchase price

2 - Second pair purchased (this time on Amazon): Both units properly transmit on all GMRS channels, but now, neither unit can be programmed using the keypad. Any frequency (including all GMRS frequencies) entered and saved into the units' memory will not allow any transmission - units simply beep. (Note: Frequencies programmed using CHIRP work fine).  Both units returned to Amazon for replacement

3 - Third pair purchased (the Amazon replacements): Same problem as the second pair... units will not transmit on anything programmed via keypad. Both units returned to Amazon, this time for a refund

4 - Fourth pair purchased (back to eBay for another try): Yep, same problem as the first pair purchased. They again refuse to transmit on GMRS Channel 15

I kept 4 of the 8 units purchased above (the four eBay units), as the ability to program "in the field" is more important to me than losing one channel (Ch 15) for simplex transmission.  

Pros:

• Transmission Range:  I can hit four different repeaters all over 75 miles away "as the crow flies" (probably more a function of my elevated location) using the extended range "771 knockoff" antenna.
  • Transmission Audio Quality:  Excellent  - everyone I have interacted with on repeaters reports that the received audio is loud and clear
  • Battery:  Approx. 10 hours of usage with an approx. 90/10 rx/tx ratio on a full charge (which takes 4 - 5 hours)
  • Technical Support:  Baofeng's technical support was very responsive to my inquiries (even though I did not purchase from them directly). They even sent me the correct WIN10 driver to use with my programming cable (something the seller failed to do). But ultimately, they could not resolve any of the transmission issues on these units

Cons:

•   Quality Control:  The obvious weak point. And as with most Chinese electronics, the customer and the beta tester are one and the same. 

Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I'm now going to try out the Quansheng UV-K6 for comparison!

42 minutes ago, WRYC330 said:

Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I'm now going to try out the Quansheng UV-K6 for comparison!

Instead of wasting so much time buying cheap junk Chinese radios on eBay just get a pair of commercial rated HT’s and be done with it. I’ve purchased several of the below radios on eBay. Yeah, bit more expensive, if you shop you can score a good deal, and they “just work”.

8 hours ago, Lscott said:

Instead of wasting so much time buying cheap junk Chinese radios on eBay just get a pair of commercial rated HT’s and be done with it.

This is a very bad choice for many people because the programming software/CPS has a very steep learning curve, is often difficult if not impossible to find, often (depending on the radio/software) does not run well on newer computers, things like batteries, cables, etc, are also often difficult to find or expensive, and it will almost certainly cost a lot more.  

And most important: Those commercial radios are not Part 95 approved so it is illegal to use them and they will go to jail!!!!!1  I know this because I've seen this posted on this forum 100 times or more.

Sometimes "cheap junk Chinese radios" are plenty good enough for normal people, despite the poor QC, but "some people" just cannot seem to grasp this simple fact and will live the rest of their lives proselytizing against inexpensive radios completely oblivious to other people's needs/desires.