VA: Hampton/VA Beach/Newport News/Williamsburg area GMRS

Anyone around the area using GMRS on the regular??  Seems like an area that would get usage, but there's just crickets.  Since I was using my radio in another area with good reports, I want to think it's programmed for the VA area correctly.  Or is it just there's really not too many users?  Thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...

Not to many in this area.  Tabb repeater over in the Newport News ares works good with a pretty good coverage area too.  I’ve hit that repeater a few times when over in that area. Nothing over here on the south side.  I noticed a listing for a repeater popped up in the Chesapeake area but it quickly disappeared.  I’m in Virginia Beach and have been thinking about messing around with the idea one day. Just haven’t got there yet I guess. LOL. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 11/10/2023 at 6:36 PM, weaverrm said:

Not to many in this area.  Tabb repeater over in the Newport News ares works good with a pretty good coverage area too.  I’ve hit that repeater a few times when over in that area. Nothing over here on the south side.  I noticed a listing for a repeater popped up in the Chesapeake area but it quickly disappeared.  I’m in Virginia Beach and have been thinking about messing around with the idea one day. Just haven’t got there yet I guess. LOL. 

That may of been my Repeater, I just installed a simple 2 radio setup with a small Duplexer at my home in Great Bridge Area of Chesapeake. Its only up about 20 ft currently but I want to get it raised higher and we are in talks of discussing installing a repeater sometime later this year in southern Chesapeake at a friends business that has a Grain Silo up about 75 feet. That's a project that will require some work and funds to get installed but hoping to get the thoughts started on it soon. If anyone is interested in trying to hit my repeater in Great Bridge, Chesapeake its is at the link below, just do a Permission Request and I will give you the PL Tone Info. (GMRS Ch16 / 462.575 mHz) I am currently working on trying to improve it but I think I am getting aprox 6-8 miles coverage.

Chesapeake-575 Repeater: https://mygmrs.com/repeater/8199

Chesapeake-575 Repeater

https://mygmrs.com/repeater/8199

I just installed a simple 2 radio setup with a small Duplexer at my home in Great Bridge Area of Chesapeake. Its only up about 20 ft currently but I want to get it raised higher sometime this year once I get my antenna tower installed. If anyone is interested in trying to hit my repeater in Great Bridge, Chesapeake its is at the link above, just do a Permission Request and I will give you the PL Tone Info. (462.575 mHz) I am currently working on trying to improve it but I think I am getting aprox 6-8 miles coverage.

• 2 months later...

I just picked up a GMRS, and in the Hampton area. It’s my first and was online looking to see if there were any groups in the area. Purchased mine mainly for use while on the road/offroad. My helmet comm pairs with the unit fairly nice. I work in the service sector of shipping and have been planting ideas into the drivers of a large, local trucking company in Chesapeake. Maybe it will add other radios to the area.

On 3/24/2024 at 5:52 PM, CrazyIvan said:

I just picked up a GMRS, and in the Hampton area. It’s my first and was online looking to see if there were any groups in the area. Purchased mine mainly for use while on the road/offroad. My helmet comm pairs with the unit fairly nice. I work in the service sector of shipping and have been planting ideas into the drivers of a large, local trucking company in Chesapeake. Maybe it will add other radios to the area.

The Tabb repeater is fairly "active" and covers a pretty good area. I live in Buckroe and talk to guys all over the peninsula and the Glouchester area. There is an FB group called "Southeast Virginia GMRS" as well (I don't have FB, but I'm sure it exists lol) run by a user in Chesapeake who also runs a repeater there. He also has a Zello channel hooked to his repeater but so far I'm the only one there haha.

-Eric

1 minute ago, nursegmrs said:

I live in Virginia Beach Hampton Roads area and have no regular contact on GMRS channels. Can’t find anyone to chat in any GMRS channels. My KG-935G radio is scanning GMRS channels daily without positive results..

Welcome to the forum! 
That is how GMRS frequently is. 
Making random contacts with people on radio is more of a ham radio pursuit.

On 4/1/2024 at 9:31 AM, nursegmrs said:

I live in Virginia Beach Hampton Roads area and have no regular contact on GMRS channels. Can’t find anyone to chat in any GMRS channels. My KG-935G radio is scanning GMRS channels daily without positive results..

Welcome to the GMRS Hobby, we are starting to get more users in the Hampton Roads area. There are a few local repeaters but the best coverage repeater is in Hampton / Tabb and is listed below. We try to do a weekly checkin on Friday evenings at 9:05pm using the Hampton Repeater but you would need a high power mobile radio to reach it with a high gain antenna mounted outside. But you might be able to listen and hear the hampton repeater (Link below) We also have a South East Virginia GMRS Facebook group.

Hampton Repeater: https://www.mygmrs.com/repeater/6011

South East Virginia GMRS - Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/214198111758035