Midland constant RX

WRKL760

Question

12 answers to this question

I am assuming it's receiving noise/static? If so, There are a few possibilities:

1. The squelch is set too low. Try turning it up to 9
  2. There are actually signals (static/interference/bleedover/illegal digital) coming in. Try listening with another radio to see if it comes in on both or just one radio
  3. Something in your Jeep such as LEDs, PWM, ignition, or lord knows what else, is causing noise/static interference - Good luck if this is the case
  4. Something else that i'm not thinking of that the other good members here will list below

Just installed an MXT575 in my truck and it was on constant “Rx” too when I switched to wideband. I turned the squelch up from its default of 4 to 6 and it went away. I’m a noob GMRS person so I hope what I did was an actual fix, just sharing what I think fixed mine.

8 hours ago, WRKL760 said:

Brand new Midland MXT575 with midland ghost antenna in a 2021 JL, from time to time the radio goes to constantly receiving on every channel…. Help

I can’t offer better advice than Randy @OffRoaderX already did, but you mentioned that this is happening “on every channel”.  Are you scanning through the channels and if so does it only happen while scanning, not when you have the radio set to a single channel?

Does this happen when the vehicle is stopped, or is it only when you're moving? I ask because I have a Juentai JT-6188 (KT-8900 clone) in my van that is as quiet as a mouse when I'm sitting at a red light, but as soon as I move, the intermittent noise starts. My guess in my case is that it's speed or abs sensors and the filtering in the radio is not able to block it. Also, I have an aftermarket USB outlet with an LED volt meter that creates the same problem, which I had to set up with a switch to turn it on only when I need it. LEDs are an enemy of radios.

There are all kinds of computers, sensors, lights, etc on vehicles that can cause interference. Alternators are a known cause of radio interference. Cheap aftermarket LED lights are another source of interference.

Best practice is to run the positive from the radio directly to the positive battery terminal and the ground from the radio to a good chassis ground. This helps eliminate RFI interference. After that it can be a wild goose chase to figure out what is causing the interference.

On 4/7/2024 at 7:52 PM, WRXP381 said:

Might be a midland issue. I’ve heard many many people with similar issues with midland.   Every single person I’ve ever known that went with midland junked within 6months or less.   

I'm on my third.  Bought an MXT-90 at Wal-Mart on silly good sale, got an MXT-100 on eBay as a spare for fifteen bucks or so, and upgraded to the MXT-275 ASAP when it came out.  That is and remains my "daily driver" mobile radio and base station.  Eventually it's going to be semi-permanently vehicle mounted with an Australian-style RJ45 passthrough in the dash.  That's already bought and mounted, currently just struggling to find a minimally-invasive antenna solution right now.  

Best I can find is a $330 Sti-Co antenna.  😕

Currently planning on upgrading to the new second-generation units which can handle split tones and the new hand-mic with volume knob, but I'm in no hurry.