BTECH GMRS-PRO

WRYU759

I was just using mine today and i was thinking how many people will love it, and many will not love it, very much..

I very much do not love mine because I use my HTs primarily when i'm adventuring/off-roading and I need something that I can see in the bright sunlight and that has quick/easy to use unambiguous controls.. This radio does not fill those needs.

However people that love to tinker and use the radio from their couch to 'make contacts', talk on the local repeaters or learn new stuff/etc, will love it.

I just started programing my GM-15 pro today with the local repeaters, the VHF of some of the local first responders, the ISS and the marine emergency channel. One thing that I noticed was that it's really hard to reliably use the keypad to enter channel numbers beginning with zero, sometimes it seems that the leading zero is required while other times just the two digits will suffice. I wanted to designate channel 15 as the channel my wife and I will use.   But if I move off that channel to another channel it's a PITA to get back to 015 reliably using the keypad. If I'm trying to go the local VHF repeater (MR 55) to listen to what's going on, I all I need to do is quickly bang 55 and I'm on the repeater. If I'm trying to get back to the family channel, I have to fuss around the 15, 015, etc. sometimes it takes 5-6 tries.  Anyone else experienced this?  I'm taking my technician exam Tuesday, and my 2nd radio should be by the end of the week - I hope it's easier to change channels.

On 9/22/2023 at 1:12 PM, WRYU759 said:

Does anyone use the  BTECH GMRS-PRO?  If so what are your thoughts?

I love the radio.  Primary use is snowmobiling and ohv.  While on snow I wear an avalanche backpack/vest affair.  It is considered life safety equipment.  Has an hpa (3000psi) bottle that is used to inflate a 150L balloon.  It is manually triggered by the user if caught in an avalanche.  The radio lives in the backpack and the Mic cord snakes around the folded balloon emerging through a zippered trigger access port on the left front shoulder.  All of that to say the radio is not easy to access while in use.  So my phone is used to control the radio. Volume, channel, ect.  Also the btech app has a topo map that will show me your location and I can send your radio a request for that information.  Really cool features from a snow safety point of view.  Keeping in mind that snowmobilers are their own 1st responders.  If a rider with the pro were buried in and avalanche, I could poll his radio for location info, ride to that point, then do the fine search with the avi beacon trancievers (short range direction finding Beacon TX rx) that we all carry, speeding up / saving time in the rescue of the buried rider.  Time limit for a live rescue is 15min max. 20 min is body recovery.  And I also carry an 8' avi probe and a telescopic handled shovel.  

All of that is a big reason that I like this model radio.  I've been working to get this radio adopted by the snowmobile community.  We'll see how that goes..... You can go to Backcountry Access to see the avi equipment and the cheesy type accepted frs radio that is currently in wide use by the snowmobile community.

The gmrs pro does have very nice audio quality.  Batt will easily last all day and can be charged/tethered to a charging power pack thing a ma gig.

On 9/22/2023 at 1:37 PM, OffRoaderX said:

I was just using mine today and i was thinking how many people will love it, and many will not love it, very much..

I very much do not love mine because I use my HTs primarily when i'm adventuring/off-roading and I need something that I can see in the bright sunlight and that has quick/easy to use unambiguous controls.. This radio does not fill those needs.

However people that love to tinker and use the radio from their couch to 'make contacts', talk on the local repeaters or learn new stuff/etc, will love it.

Yep, I primarily use mine while snow surfing on my 12' long 160hp 2 stroke couch.

• 1 month later...

I purchased the Btech GMRS Pro for it's built in Bluetooth capability's. I'm looking to use it mounted to my 4 seater OHV and ATV. My current helmet comm is a Cardo packtalk. This works great for shorter distances. I'm now looking to run the Cardo VOX for just talking to my family inside the OHV. ( Side by Side is kinda noisy so the headset and comms help)Then have the GMRS pro with it's Bluetooth PTT connected to the second phone option in my helmet. This way I can have a private conversation with the cardo and a PTT for people in other vehicles.

If there is a better radio with headset Bluetooth options please fill me in. I tried the Rugged Radio G1 but the mic did not work with my helmet mic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2023 at 4:59 PM, blastco2 said:

If a rider with the pro were buried in and avalanche, I could poll his radio for location info, ride to that point, then do the fine search with the avi beacon trancievers (short range direction finding Beacon TX rx) that we all carry, speeding up / saving time in the rescue of the buried rider.  Time limit for a live rescue is 15min max. 20 min is body recovery.  And I also carry an 8' avi probe and a telescopic handled shovel.  

Have you tested UHF radios buried under 3 feet of snow?  What kind of range do you get?

• 2 weeks later...

I have not. Based on the performance of avalanche beacons, tx 300 hrs on 2 AA batteries with a range of 300' when buried in snow, I would imagine that a 5 watt uhf radio would TX up to a mile.  In the scenario I outlined, 4-500 yards would be far enough

This is the rescue equip that I carry.  Scroll down for the Beacon specs.

https://backcountryaccess.com/en-us/p/t4-turbo-avalanche-rescue-package-2024

Here is the avi-pack and chest protector that carries all the stuff inthe above link in addition to a gmrs-pro w/speaker mic, some hand warmers, spare gloves and goggles, spare key for snowmobile.

https://backcountryaccess.com/en-us/p/bca-float-mtnpro-vest-avalanche-airbag-2-0-2024

48 minutes ago, blastco2 said:

I have not. Based on the performance of avalanche beacons, tx 300 hrs on 2 AA batteries with a range of 300' when buried in snow, I would imagine that a 5 watt uhf radio would TX up to a mile.  In the scenario I outlined, 4-500 yards would be far enough

This is the rescue equip that I carry.  Scroll down for the Beacon specs.

https://backcountryaccess.com/en-us/p/t4-turbo-avalanche-rescue-package-2024

Here is the avi-pack and chest protector that carries all the stuff inthe above link in addition to a gmrs-pro w/speaker mic, some hand warmers, spare gloves and goggles, spare key for snowmobile.

https://backcountryaccess.com/en-us/p/bca-float-mtnpro-vest-avalanche-airbag-2-0-2024

Except that UHF is terribly attenuated by moisture, including snow in the air, which is far less dense than the drifts that result from an avalanche. That’s one reason the avalanche transponders are only 457 kHz. 
Also, for the same reasons, GPS receivers may fail when beneath snow. 
And finally, a quick Google search reveals that having other RF devices nearby can interfere with beacons:

Avalanche beacons are specialized radio transceivers operating on the frequency 457 kHz.  Because they use radio frequencies, they are subject to problems caused by interference.  Interference can be caused by many factors, some of which are under your control, others are not.  Your radio, cell phone, GPS device, smartwatch, and even the foil-lined energy bar wrapper in the buried party’s pocket can interfere with a beacon search.

https://nspserves.org/avalanche-beacon-precautions/

On 11/9/2023 at 3:20 PM, WRZF587 said:

I purchased the Btech GMRS Pro for it's built in Bluetooth capability's. I'm looking to use it mounted to my 4 seater OHV and ATV. My current helmet comm is a Cardo packtalk. This works great for shorter distances. I'm now looking to run the Cardo VOX for just talking to my family inside the OHV. ( Side by Side is kinda noisy so the headset and comms help)Then have the GMRS pro with it's Bluetooth PTT connected to the second phone option in my helmet. This way I can have a private conversation with the cardo and a PTT for people in other vehicles.

If there is a better radio with headset Bluetooth options please fill me in. I tried the Rugged Radio G1 but the mic did not work with my helmet mic.

I've played with the bt audio a little.  It will pair with a bt headset ear buds ect. I used a shokx open run pro,  also used it through the phone.  Connected to the phone then to the headset there was a bit of a delay in the audio.  Seemed like a lot of hassle just to get rid of a Mic cord.   In case you are not aware, most of the speake mics have an earphone Jack.

5 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Except that UHF is terribly attenuated by moisture, including snow in the air, which is far less dense than the drifts that result from an avalanche. That’s the reason the avalanche transponders are only 457 kHz. 

I did not know that little fact about uhf. Thank you!   

Have you ever walked on a fresh avi burden field?  It sets up concrete hard instantly.   

Btw, concerning all of the avi gear I carry,  I'm happy to say, we've been careful with where and when and checking avi forecasts, that I've never had to use it.  Seen the aftermath of quite a few slides some small some huge but never been caught in one.

3 minutes ago, blastco2 said:

I did not know that little fact about uhf. Thank you!   

Have you ever walked on a fresh avi burden field?  It sets up concrete hard instantly.   

Btw, concerning all of the avi gear I carry,  I'm happy to say, we've been careful with where and when and checking avi forecasts, that I've never had to use it.  Seen the aftermath of quite a few slides some small some huge but never been caught in one.

I have not but my son-in-law is a backcountry skiing outfitter and teaches avalanche safety. I went to him all excited thinking one of the tiny gps transponders we fly in rockets might be a step forward. He quickly explained the situation. 
Anyway, I would try it to see if it receives GPS signals when buried, if it has any range transmitting when buried, and how much it interferes with your beacon when transmitting. 

• 4 weeks later...

My True Opinion on the BTECH GMRS PRO.  What can I say, the GMRS PRO? This Radio has its pros and cons just as all radios. Yes, I do sincerely believe the GMRS PRO is an excellent tool that is useful for any application The ability to monitor other radio services is a plus, especially when there's a Public Service Events or a Disaster Relief Operations.  Let's face it, in a SHTF, you going to want to know if your message is being relayed, because not everyone has an Amateur Radio License. You going to want to monitor Amateur Repeaters to receive information even when you don't need to relay a message. You can receive the message intended for you before the operation who you communicate can relayed the message to you.

As far as for Railroad enthusiast, it great now since the majority of Class 1 Railroads haven't switched over to IDAS/NXDN yet. There may be Railroad enthusiast GMRS clubs out there that take advantage of repeaters and simplex channels to talk while watching rail action for different locations. Of course, the same thing on the Amateur Radio Frequencies. I guess have a radio to monitor and keep taps on trains with fellow railfans makes GMRS or Ham a Great Hobby.

If BTECH came with a GMRS PRO Plus Digital Receive for NXDN and DMR, I would purchase one. 

Edited by Adamdaj
Makes more sense

My only interest in this radio is that it has a simplex repeater mode built right in, and I haven't found any other GMRS radio with that function built in. It's barely ever mentioned even in reviews.

I understand its a bit of an esoteric capability, and that you'd need another radio to make use of it (like a mobile or even bubble pack FRS radio since it will be working on simplex frequencies), and that the duty cycle isn't really up for heavy or prolonged use... but I'm really fond of the idea that I can set up a repeater in an emergency at the flip of a switch with nothing extra required.  Hoist it up a tree with a line thrown over a branch, or fly it up with a drone and get up and over that terrain blocking your LOS to your friends.

2 hours ago, WRZR759 said:

My only interest in this radio is that it has a simplex repeater mode built right in, and I haven't found any other GMRS radio with that function built in. It's barely ever mentioned even in reviews.

As in: you transmit to the BTECH GMRS-PRO and it "records" your message during receive and then plays it back on transmit?

Sound like a fun feature; now to decide if I should invest $155 (plus tax) to experiment with it!

Merry Christmas!

14 minutes ago, WRYS709 said:

As in: you transmit to the BTECH GMRS-PRO and it "records" your message during receive and then plays it back on transmit?

Sound like a fun feature; now to decide if I should invest $155 (plus tax) to experiment with it!

Merry Christmas!

Yep, it's called audio relay under the general settings on the app. 

Of course, you can buy an external simplex repeater box to attach to a radio (Argent ADS-SR1, Radio-Tone RT-SRC1, Red's Engineering SRPT-02) for less money, and they usually have some additional features like voice announcements, automatic callsign and so on, but I don't plan on trying to make it a permanent setup, just something that can be used as needed... and for that it's nice to have one thing that's already water resistant and doesn't need any external addons to carry or enclosures to protect from weather, that sort of thing.

I don't need the other features of the GMRS Pro, so I'm still weighing purchasing one just for that feature, but as far as I know no other GMRS radio has it built in. I may wait and see if I come across one used.