Data over Repeaters

WRWH978

Question

7 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, WRWH978 said:

On one of the GMRS local repeaters I monitor I hear data burst sounds every now and then -- is it ok to do this without permission from the owner?

Not even with permission. 

95.1787(a)(5) GMRS units must not be capable of transmitting digital data on the 467 MHz main channels. 

Technically illegal.. with the recent changes they allowed gmrs to send data. Such as gps location and small text messages.

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-95/subpart-E

"Digital data. GMRS hand-held portable units may transmit digital data containing location information, or requesting location information from one or more other GMRS or FRS units, or containing a brief text message to another specific GMRS or FRS unit."

But went as far as saying not over the repeaters.

"Digital data transmissions. Digital data transmissions are limited to the 462 MHz main channels and interstitial channels in the 462 MHz and 467 MHz bands"

"5) GMRS units must not be capable of transmitting digital data on the 467 MHz main channels"

FCCs way of saying don't do it on the repeater inputs.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, tweiss3 said:

I wonder if he is hearing MDC1200 IDs, which aren't technically permitted over the repeaters, but are permitted on simplex.

Agreed, he could simply be hearing someone on simplex using a location sharing radio such as a Garmin, since the receive frequencies are the same. 

Very possible many mdc users are ignoring the rule.

To be fair though, it generally would sound like a Motorola roger beep.

People would really hate the sound of digital over the radio, especially if they couldn't decode.

Tune into 144.390 with no pl, see how long your sanity last. Most hams turn on receive pl or stay away from the aprs frquencies.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk