UNLOCKING WOUXUN KG-UV3X PRO PORTABLE RADIO

nokones

Question

Since, the user's manual does not address the unlocking procedure and since I am a lowly internet user, I turned to the internet for information including watching the Jeep Dude's videos, I am unable to find any information on the subject radio. Has anyone experience this situation and can help I, the lowly internet user, so I can program the subject radio for my RDF Equipment Setup? I have the subject radio factory program installed on my computer and the "Red" USB Wouxun programming cable. Any help would be most appreciated.

7 answers to this question

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:

The KG-UV3X, like most of the Wouxun radios, are not unlockable.  But, why would you need it unlocked for RDF? Isnt that all receive-only?

PS - he's more than just a "jeep guy".. He is a human being with feelings... and a Nissan.

Yes, but the radio is factory programmed with about 15 Part 90 freqs and I needed to clear those out and add the 14 FRS freqs and the 16 462/467 GMRS freqs and turn off the CTCSS tones. I read some where that the factory locks it down because of the default Part 90 programming and the user is suppose to contact the selling dealer for the procedure to unlock. 

See my next post on this subject.

Ok, I don't believe it. I some how magically unlocked the radio, please don't ask me how. I called the selling Dealer earlier this afternoon and they didn't know how to unlock it. They said, I needed to download the User's Manual from their website, which I did, prior to calling them. That was a hopeless cause calling them. Just a few minutes ago, I decided to tackle it again, I just couldn't leave it alone and give up. I started by just pushing a bunch of radio buttons and turning the channel selector in a sequence that I don't remember and walla, the radio unlocked and I was able to read the radio so I can custom program the radio.

So, I now have the unlocked and I no longer need any Wouxun Radio help, at least for the moment. It's a done deal.

26 minutes ago, WRUE951 said:

Be careful,  Wouxun has a secrety feathers that once unlock they will go back to lock mode the next time you charge them..   

And if that does happen, I'll send if back for a refund heartbeat and buy a non-CCR radio like I should have in the first place. This purchase was against my better judgement. All I need was a decent small receiver for use as a RDF receiver on the UHF band. If I have to pay more than I did for this CCR so be it. I think I'll consider looking at Yeasu or Icom portables.

I almost came to that point yesterday. I was right on the edge to ask for a RMA number yesterday when I was wasting my time with the selling Dealer that couldn'f help me with the secret handshake procedure to unlock the factory lock.

Oh well, moot point now. This CCR may serve its purpose well for my RDF investigations.

I have an FT-4x and I like it.  I like the FT-65r even better. But to repeat @OffRoaderX, there’s no need for unlocking.  The exact same frequencies can be received whether the radio is locked or unlocked and reception is all that’s necessary for RDF.  That very wide receive range is typical of nearly all modern radios.