Drop Tested Tough

WRHS218

We were out in the wilds of the Alabama Hills, on foot, last week climbing around large boulders and the 935G+ that my wife had clipped to her jacket fell and bounced down the rocks about 35 feet. The only damage was to one corner on the bottom of the radio and that was just a scuff. The radio still works perfectly. 

The day before we had been exploring an old mining ghost town. I had a radio and our friends had a radio. My friend's wife got separated form the rest of us and it took us a while to find her. From that point on everybody carried a radio. My wife didn't even smirk when I pulled out the extra radios. We spent three days with very little to no cell service so the radios came in handy.

20231013_144230.jpg

I keep retractable lanyards on my personal and "loaner" radios.  The cheap chicom lanyards have enough tension that most handhelds won't even hit the ground if dropped but will massively slow the decent of heavier radios like an ht1000.   Plenty of length to clip in on your belt and still bring the radio to your face to talk.

20231016_132740.thumb.jpg.91266623bc90ccd032f0a59ff2e1b87c.jpg

2 hours ago, WRYZ927 said:

I keep retractable lanyards on my personal and "loaner" radios.  The cheap chicom lanyards have enough tension that most handhelds won't even hit the ground if dropped but will massively slow the decent of heavier radios like an ht1000.   Plenty of length to clip in on your belt and still bring the radio to your face to talk.

That is a really good idea.

Glad to hear the KG-935G survived. I have 3 of them and it's nice to learn that they are as tough as I hope they are.

This is what I use: https://www.spectergear.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SG-1390

Protects from more than just dropping.

They have them for many HT's. Check out the videos too. Great products!

16 hours ago, WRWE456 said:

Glad to hear the KG-935G survived. I have 3 of them and it's nice to learn that they are as tough as I hope they are.

This is what I use: https://www.spectergear.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SG-1390

Protects from more than just dropping.

They have them for many HT's. Check out the videos too. Great products!

After 42 years of marriage I finally got my wife to carry and actually use a radio. Getting her to wear a belt and a holster? I'm pretty sure I don't have that much time left. 

10 hours ago, WRUE951 said:

The Wouxun is one tough portable radio, I’ve got a couple Hytera’s that are tough as bricks and often wonder if Hytera makes the radios for Wouxun.   If you have them side by side, you can see they are almost identical…. Just an observation.  . 

Or Wouxun builds them for Hytera.

I’ve been following this and debating sharing my own ridiculous story. Not as cool or adventurous as @WRHS218 out amongst the boulders but a week ago I was using my radio to monitor the local sheriff, they were searching for someone in a nearby creek bed and had the helicopter up. I put my KG-935G plus in my shirt pocket to hear it better as I was out doing yard work I bent down to pick something up from my patio and down went the radio with a bounce on the cement.  I thought well that’s it for that but not even a dent or scratch. Idiot approved and tested. 😂

Well if having a working radio is important enough while out in the wilderness? Just as concerning is dropping it and losing it. Before getting the belt pouches I dropped my radios many times. They get caught on branches or while getting in or out of vehicles etc. and if you don't notice that you dropped it? Happens all the time. Some type of retention other than the belt clip is a good idea.