Easy use phonetics any suggestion

WRTG259

• 5 months later...

After years in the military after having NATO beat into my skull...Alpha Bravo, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Then I left the military and went into law enforcement where NATO was "frowned upon" and APCO required .. Adam Boy, William Tom Frank.

Now I get beat up by "some sad people" for often inadvertently mixing the two ... Alpha Boy I mean Bravo, William I mean Whiskey Tango Frank, I mean Foxtrot.

Just what I need.  Another phonetic alphabet.

6 hours ago, Hoppyjr said:

It seems that is the same mindset of the clowns who keep kerchunking the local repeater and demonstrating their many different Roger beeps.

This seams to be the mindset of a sad sad ham. You’re the “some people” I’ve been warned about.  

This has nothing to do with kerchunking or roger beeps.  However roger beeps  are a personal thing unless a repeater owner asks you to not use them.  or they are over used to annoy others.  
This issue is about the alphabet and some jerk jumping on some one for mixing up alphabets.   We are NOT calling in a drone strike here.  We are talking with friends and family.  I don’t care if some one says apple, banana, cat, dog, emerald, floor, goober, hill, igloo, jello, dam-it now I want some jello.   Anyway it’s no one business what phonic alphabet some one uses.  

to the OP.  Go ahead and use or confuse what ever you want.  Have fun and keep on the air.   

to the other guy… get your ham tick and leave gmrs alone.  

I hear people using different words for saying their call sign phonetically all the time. Some will use what ever words they like. It really doesn't matter much when talking to other people who's native language is English. 

Using the NATO phonetic alphabet does help when talking to foreigners who do not speak English very well or have a heavy accent.

In the end use what works best for you and those you are talking to.

Some sad people get emotionally nuked when you do anything that doesn't conform strictly to what they've been taught and what they think they understand of the rules.

Case in point. A few years ago some of my buddies and I were scuba diving about 40 miles off the NC Coast when a mayday came over the Marine VHF during our surface interval between dives.  After the caller made repeated maydays with no response it was obvious no one could hear his mayday so I grabbed the Marine VHF and called USCG.   Caller could hear USCG but USCG couldn't hear the caller.  So when USCG would ask a question, he'd reply, then I'd relay his reply to USCG.  USCG gave him a phone # to call but he said he had no cell service on his phone that far offshore.  I acted as relay for about 20 minutes between him and USCG.
Eventually USCG asked me to identify myself, and since there's 243,924,992 "Anthony Jones" in North Carolina, and since our boat was not USCG registered, I gave them my name and my ham call sign.  My logic was, the USCG certainly has access to FCC records if they need to find me in the future, and since the call sign is linked to me by name, address, and SSN, it is a de facto positive identification.  According to the guy, his boat was taking on water, his engine wouldn't start, and that was a valid emergency, not just a "we're out of gas" scenario.  Eventually the USCG found the guys and rescued them.

But when the sad people on a certain world largest ham radio forum heard I had used a ham call sign on Marine VHF...you guessed it...I was told I had committed a crime, told I was gonna get that 134,222,783,446,552 gazillion dollar fine from the FCC's, I was going to prison, the FCC's were going to confiscate my radio equipment, etc.   The sad people on the worlds largest ham forum roasted me for days for being a "bad ham" who didn't deserve to own a radio.  Apparently I ruined their lives by using a ham call sign on Marine VHF during a mayday call.

When the commander at USCG Fort Macon called me a few days later to thank me for being a relay and to tell me they found the guy and he was safe, I mentioned it to him, just to make sure that I hadn't overlooked some important detail in my radio education so I wouldn't get the 134,222,783,446,552 gazillion dollar fine from the FCC's and spend 20 years in prison like the sad people said.  When his letter arrived in the mail I took a photo and posted it to the three-letter sad people forum.  The letter said what I and anyone with an IQ over 20 already knew...

"When on ham radio you'd use your ham call sign.
When on Marine VHF you'd use your vessel name.
But in an emergency all of the rules are suspended and none of the rules matter."

I got the largest orgasm of my life posting that letter on the three-letter sad people forum.  :)

So yeah, if sad people will whine about saving a life, they'll certainly whine over phonetics. Or anything else they can find to argue about.  If you didn't know, you'd think the FCC's awarded medals or something for filing complaints over trivial BS.

This seams to be the mindset of a sad sad ham. You’re the “some people” I’ve been warned about.  

This has nothing to do with kerchunking or roger beeps.  However roger beeps  are a personal thing unless a repeater owner asks you to not use them.  or they are over used to annoy others.  
This issue is about the alphabet and some jerk jumping on some one for mixing up alphabets.   We are NOT calling in a drone strike here.  We are talking with friends and family.  I don’t care if some one says apple, banana, cat, dog, emerald, floor, goober, hill, igloo, jello, dam-it now I want some jello.   Anyway it’s no one business what phonic alphabet some one uses.  
to the OP.  Go ahead and use or confuse what ever you want.  Have fun and keep on the air.   

to the other guy… get your ham tick and leave gmrs alone.  

You’re entitled to your opinion, as am I.

I think guys who keep keying up over and over, holding the air for 10-15 seconds of nothing but giggles, farts, or music, and each time cycling through their Roger beeps are just being assclowns. Has nothing to do with “some people” or sad hams, it’s just the basic rule of life - “don’t be a dick”.

If that’s lost on you it’s ok.