Need advice Installing and trimming TRAM 1486

WRYD530

Question

Just got my TRAM 1486 and would like to get some help on trimming. Obviously don’t want to over trim. I use all GMRS frequencies and repeaters also. Anyone else think they have theirs trimmed perfectly. And yes i do have the instructions but first hand experience is better. Also recommendations on mounting to house.

6 answers to this question

I recommend you measure per the instructions for your target frequency, my target was 462MHz.  Cut just beyond your measurement mark, leaving a little extra, ~1/16".  I was concerned I might snip off more than desired.  Then use a file to remove the remainder to your mark. My SWR is 1.0 to 1.4 depending on the frequency and wattage, good enough for me.

Thanks for the advice on the trimming slightly long then filing. Actually i was going to mount mine to the chimney which is at least 20ft plus a 10 ft pole that should be some decent height considering my truck gets 40miles to a repeater. Only thing is if i fall i probably will never work again. Well it is for gmrs so totally worth it. Maybe i can steal a cherry picker for a few hours. Anyway… cable recommendations? 50ft probably. 

Just now, WRYD530 said:

Got the antenna trimmed and hooked up. 20ft of cable for now. Got a SWR of 1.42. Seems pretty good. Will it improve after I take the meter off? Is there some losses from all the connectors in testing?

There are losses from connectors, more in some grades of equipment. I still prefer to leave my swr/power meter connected in-line. If something strange happens it’s sure easier to diagnose. 
Having the meter off should not affect the SWR, unless it’s a really poor meter.