Jeep Wrangler setup

bbrad1775

Question

I am looking to set up a mobile antenna on a 2017 Jeep Wrangler. With a fiberglass hard top it is limiting me to an aftermarket mount (linked below). Currently I am looking at the Diamond NR7900A antenna and I will be pairing this with a Baofeng UV-9r as it is what I have right now. Eventually I want to use a Wouxun KG-XS20G.

My questions are as follows:

How should I ground my antenna?

What cable should I use?

What adapter will I need for the Baofeng?

Am I missing anything? 

Thank you for your help. 

https://www.amazon.com/Bolaxin-Antenna-2007-2018-Wrangler-Unlimited/dp/B0186T6FM8/ref=asc_df_B0186T6FM8/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312126224579&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11700897633911944156&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027314&hvtargid=pla-569046122771&psc=1

12 answers to this question

Just FYI - Prepare yourself for all the "experts" that are going to tell you that antenna location "won't work".. Just ignore them.  It is true, that location wont work "the best it can be", but it will work just fine for trail comms. On both my jeeps i have the antenna mounted just about a foot to the left and I can get 30+ miles simplex and i have hit a repeater at 93 miles - that should be plenty "good enough".

• When mounting on the tailgate like that you should run a grounding strap (not a 'wire') from the antenna mount to the tub of the Jeep - make sure the connections are metal to metal.
  • You can use any UHF coax - try to keep it as short as possible but if you have a foot or two extra, just loosely coil it up. Ignore the "experts" that tell you this will make your antenna/radio "not work".
  • Be aware that the Diamond NR7900A is not a GMRS antenna - unless you are also planning to transmit on the ham bands, I would recommend getting an antenna made/tuned for GMRS antenna - I use the Midland MXTA26
  • You will probably also need an NMO mount to connect the antenna to the bracket, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Assembly-Connector-Adapter-Connect-Vehicle/dp/B0BLMHJ338/
  • You may also need some kind of SMA to SO-239 connector to connect the BoofWhang to the antenna cable - something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Bingfu-Antenna-Adapter-Coaxial-Kenwood/dp/B083D5TMKG/
    But check the gender on both ends to make sure you get the right one for your radio - and get a couple of them because they tend to wear out.

I'm sure i'm missing something, but this should get you started.

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:

Just FYI - Prepare yourself for all the "experts" that are going to tell you that antenna location "won't work".. Just ignore them.  It is true, that location wont work "the best it can be", but it will work just fine for trail comms. On both my jeeps i have the antenna mounted just about a foot to the left and I can get 30+ miles simplex and i have hit a repeater at 93 miles - that should be plenty "good enough".

• When mounting on the tailgate like that you should run a grounding strap (not a 'wire') from the antenna mount to the tub of the Jeep - make sure the connections are metal to metal.
  • You can use any UHF coax - try to keep it as short as possible but if you have a foot or two extra, just loosely coil it up. Ignore the "experts" that tell you this will make your antenna/radio "not work".
  • Be aware that the Diamond NR7900A is not a GMRS antenna - unless you are also planning to transmit on the ham bands, I would recommend getting an antenna made/tuned for GMRS antenna - I use the Midland MXTA26
  • You will probably also need an NMO mount to connect the antenna to the bracket, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Assembly-Connector-Adapter-Connect-Vehicle/dp/B0BLMHJ338/
  • You may also need some kind of SMA to SO-239 connector to connect the BoofWhang to the antenna cable - something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Bingfu-Antenna-Adapter-Coaxial-Kenwood/dp/B083D5TMKG/
    But check the gender on both ends to make sure you get the right one for your radio - and get a couple of them because they tend to wear out.

I'm sure i'm missing something, but this should get you started.

Thank you for the input. I enjoy your videos on youtube btw. 

Where did you end up mounting the midland MXTA26?  

The radio uses the SMA female. That looks to be the one you linked, thank you. After searching for a bit. I found this one, MXTA24. With that cable and the SMA-F to SO-239 adapter I should be good right?

Are you referring to a ground strap like this? Where are you getting one that is long enough? 

Added some pictures of what I have so far. 

Amazon cart 2.JPG

Amazon cart.JPG

• On both my jeeps the antennas are mounted on the tailgate hinges, just to the left of what shows in your mounting bracket picture..
  • That NMO mount will work as long as you are able to feed/thread it to the places you need. 
  • That is the correct type of strap - i got my from the local auto-parts store - i think they call it a battery grounding strap and they come in different lengths. Should be able to find it on Amazon as well.

I'm not positive, but I don't think the mount you shared will work 'out of the box' with a UHF connector, which is what you need for the Diamond antenna you mention.  You may have to modify it to work.  If you are handy with tools and have a drill, you should be fine.  I have used Diamond and Comet lip mounts on the swing gate, too.  You may want to look and see what they have, and get a proper mount for the antenna selection you make, rather than a CB antenna mount.  If you do get a lip mount, be sure the mount doesn't have a stabilizing tab sticking out or you can destroy the back window.

Also, that is Diamond way too much antenna for you.  It's a wonderful antenna and performance is amazing, but I use it because I have several radios sharing that antenna, of which all but my GMRS radio are way over 100w out... one being 315w.  I agree with Randy on a lot of what he mentioned, including going with the MXTA26.  I also have the same UHF to NMO adapter that he linked and it works well. 

If you get an NMO antenna and use the adapter on your UHF mount, be sure to set the jam nut correctly and use anti-seize to be sure the NMO disc doesn't unscrew with the antenna on removal.  It can be a massive pain in the six to get out.

I have had a bunch of antennas installed on the swing gate over the years.  Follow the grounding advice and you should be fine.

30 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

I'm not positive, but I don't think the mount you shared will work 'out of the box' with a UHF connector, which is what you need for the Diamond antenna you mention.  You may have to modify it to work.  If you are handy with tools and have a drill, you should be fine.  I have used Diamond and Comet lip mounts on the swing gate, too.  You may want to look and see what they have, and get a proper mount for the antenna selection you make, rather than a CB antenna mount.  If you do get a lip mount, be sure the mount doesn't have a stabilizing tab sticking out or you can destroy the back window.

Also, that is Diamond way too much antenna for you.  It's a wonderful antenna and performance is amazing, but I use it because I have several radios sharing that antenna, of which all but my GMRS radio are way over 100w out... one being 315w.  I agree with Randy on a lot of what he mentioned, including going with the MXTA26.  I also have the same UHF to NMO adapter that he linked and it works well. 

If you get an NMO antenna and use the adapter on your UHF mount, be sure to set the jam nut correctly and use anti-seize to be sure the NMO disc doesn't unscrew with the antenna on removal.  It can be a massive pain in the six to get out.

I have had a bunch of antennas installed on the swing gate over the years.  Follow the grounding advice and you should be fine.

So if I get that NMO adapter mount I just need a standard SO-239 cable and the adapter for the radio and to drill out the mount itself. Then run a ground strap and its all good. 

I saw this mount but at triple the price I figured I would just drill out the other mount.  image.thumb.png.f246d118cc91adb20fc235640fbcc4a4.png

2 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:
  • On both my jeeps the antennas are mounted on the tailgate hinges, just to the left of what shows in your mounting bracket picture..
  • That NMO mount will work as long as you are able to feed/thread it to the places you need. 
  • That is the correct type of strap - i got my from the local auto-parts store - i think they call it a battery grounding strap and they come in different lengths. Should be able to find it on Amazon as well.

What mount are you using?

4 hours ago, bbrad1775 said:

So if I get that NMO adapter mount I just need a standard SO-239 cable and the adapter for the radio and to drill out the mount itself. Then run a ground strap and its all good. 

I saw this mount but at triple the price I figured I would just drill out the other mount.  image.thumb.png.f246d118cc91adb20fc235640fbcc4a4.png

Yes, but be sure the bracket is big enough that you can drill it.

51 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

Yes, but be sure the bracket is big enough that you can drill it.

I'm thinking about switching to this combo. Shouldn't need an adapter fir the mount. 

Midland – MXTA24 Low Profile Antenna Cable with NMO Connector – CB Antenna Cable Extension – 6 Meters (19 ft) with Removable UHF Connection https://a.co/d/chaGRps

NMO Fender Mount Antenna Bracket JK https://a.co/d/clQoU5F

1 hour ago, bbrad1775 said:

I'm thinking about switching to this combo. Shouldn't need an adapter fir the mount. 

Midland – MXTA24 Low Profile Antenna Cable with NMO Connector – CB Antenna Cable Extension – 6 Meters (19 ft) with Removable UHF Connection https://a.co/d/chaGRps

NMO Fender Mount Antenna Bracket JK https://a.co/d/clQoU5F

That would be a better choice. 

Thanks for the help to everyone. I went with the MXTA24 cable, MXTA26 antenna and the NMO fender mount. Had to modify the plastic spacer for the cable to work with the mount but I'm used to doing stuff like that with jeeps. Hit the Sheraton hotel repeater in Dallas which is close to 30 miles away. Going to try again tomorrow at work which is to 40 miles away. 

20231204_164708.jpg

20231204_170038.jpg