Which Lightning Arrestor

WRPU764

Question

I ordered my first base radio, the KG-1000 Plus. I am requesting guidance/recommendations on what brand, which model of lightning arrestor I should get. I see them ranging in price from $20 - $200 but because I am new to this I am not sure of which to get. I understand their purpose and how they function, and after searching here for hours and reading many posts, I definitely know how to install them. I just can't determine if a $20 unit is sufficient or a $200 unit is overkill. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Leroy

7 answers to this question

Thanks everyone.

@BoxCar I agree, I just don't "know" which brands/manufacturers are reputable at this time. I start looking at, for instance, DX Engineering and there are all these names that, because I am just getting started, I don't know yet. Sounds like Polyphaser has a good reputation based on the responses so I will move forward. Thank you.

1 hour ago, PACNWComms said:

PolyPhaser all the way. Something like this would work for that KG-1000 Plus. https://www.polyphaser.com/type-n-surge-protector-1.2ghz-gas-discharge-tube-098-1013g-a

But perhaps with so-239 connectors. 

N connectors are definitely better for GMRS frequencies but I think the KG1000 probably has an SO-239. 

Or get that polyphaser and install N connectors on the coax cables that attach to it. 

@PACNWComms @Sshannon Yes, the KG-1000G Plus has a SO-239. Once everyone pointed me in the right direction on who makes a good product I contacted PolyPhaser and they recommended the IS-50UX-C0 for my application. It has the SO-239 connectors. I asked about the N connector because I have read and watched a lot of discussion on this subject. He stated that since I will be using the M&P EVO connector that there really won't be a significant difference. I did do some reading on PolyPhaser and and they appear to be "top shelf" stuff.

Other than the radio and power supply, I have been in a planning mode, trying to figure out what will work with what. So now that I have more information, I just need to roll it around in the bean for a bit before pulling the trigger. Then I will be ordering the cable, surge protector and antenna all at once.

Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction.