Good to meet people in your area (Newport News/Hampton)

WRXH357

Myself and another MYGMRS member ( @WRZP261) have been able to catch each other on the radio quite a few times.  Today was one of those days.  I was caught off-guard to hit the repeater due to my location and to get a response.  😄  We were both out running around so we were able to get some ranging estimates of our equipment and while using the local repeater. As the crow flies we held comms for about 25+ miles apart using the repeater with overcast/rainy weather clouds all around.  Our local repeater reports (on MYGMRS) it's a 10 mile repeater.  My location was easily outside that estimate, I believe his was inside that area.  My location/driving was in a more rural setting, his more metro/urban.  We didn't get through while on simplex.   I'm sure he will add on any additional information or clarify anything.  

We are going to see if the ranging holds true during a clear day with lots of sunshine.  

Even if you think you are outside the repeater range load the settings and just call out, you just might get through to the repeater.  😜

Yes was a cool contact to make distance wise.  Shock to both of us.  My last location was the aquaplex near the Coliseum in Hampton, VA 357 was out in Surry, VA.  Little scratchy towards the end but able to understand each other no problem.  Exciting to me none the least.  I'm starting to dork out over radio.  Fun hobby we have gotten ourselves into.  

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw the post on here, I'm down in southern Chesapeake and working on a repeater build. Hope to meet other GMRS users locally and I try to monitor the Tabb Repeater in Hampton when I can. If your interested, I have just recently listed my Chesapeake-575 Repeater this past month on myGMRS site.

https://mygmrs.com/repeater/8199

Van

• 3 months later...

New to GMRS and found this conversation. I live in Kiln Creek and am trying to learn about repeaters…not terribly difficult in concept but haven’t had much luck - perhaps too early in the day for most folk 🤣.  Wish you all well and perhaps we’ll get to chat in the future!

Awsome. Yes range can be surprisingly good given the correct circumstances.  People tell me all day long I don’t get 200 miles from my 20w base station from Southern California to Las Vegas Nevada but it happens all the time.  I make 2 nets a week.  We also have a huge repeater that gets from the ocean to the desert    And many in the club are 60+ miles away using hand helds.   Radio….It’s a fun thing when it works out.  

On 4/21/2024 at 7:53 AM, WSCN258 said:

New to GMRS and found this conversation. I live in Kiln Creek and am trying to learn about repeaters…not terribly difficult in concept but haven’t had much luck - perhaps too early in the day for most folk 🤣.  Wish you all well and perhaps we’ll get to chat in the future!

We have a few users in the Hampton Roads 757 area. I used to live in Kiln Creek but now live in Chesapeake. Your best GMRS repeater will be the Hampton / Tabb Repeater. If you are on Facebook we have a South East Virginia GMRS Group page if you would like to join.

Southeast Virginia GMRS https://www.facebook.com/groups/214198111758035