Baofeng G11S: how to scan VHF/UHF

yogurttragedy

Question

I noticed someone in another forum asking this question and it piqued my curiosity as I own a pair of these. I searched the manual and the menu and haven't found anything to enable scanning of non-FRS/GMRS channels. Anyone know if this comes with a firmware update or something?

From Radioddity:

Scanning Receiver Frequency band: 136.0-174.0 & 400.0-512.0MHz

The only scanning I can figure out is FRS/GMRS channels...

Thanks for any insight!

11 answers to this question

There's even a reviewer on Amazon that states:

Note, these radios are NOT locked to just the GMRS band. If using CHIRP, the user can program anything in the 2 meter, commercial radio "high band", 70 centimeter, GMRS and commercial UHF frequencies that can both receive and transmit. I was able to add in not only GMRS repeaters, but add in local amature radio frequencies (2m and 70cm), as well as local public safety frequencies

I just realized it's a paid-for VINE review, so there goes that credibility...

1 hour ago, WRYS709 said:

What does that mean?

It means he was paid to say that... You gotta watch those video guys.. They're all just shills hawking that cheap chinese junk and they will say anything the company instructs them to say.  I know this because "some people" proclaim this, so it must always be true in every instance..

But seriously, any time someone is paid to review a product, you do have to take it with a bag of salt unless that person has shown their trustworthiness by doing things like calling-out junk when they see it, even if it makes the manufacturer sad.

On 12/20/2023 at 9:42 AM, yogurttragedy said:

a paid-for VINE review, so there goes that credibility...

The only reviews I read anywhere are the bad reviews. The good reviews are too often either paid for or written by folks praising the product after owning it for an hour for doing what it's supposed to do. The bad reviews are honest.