Wounux KG-935G Plus

Guest KF8TQ

Guest KF8TQ

I am looking to purchase a couple og GMRS radios for me and my wife.  I have an Extra class Ham license and my wife had a Technical license but allowed it to expire.  So we are not unfamiliar with radios but are new to GMRS.  We are planning a trip to Alaska this summer in our RV and want to use this band to stay connected.  Since she can no longer use the Ham bands, we think the GMRS will work perfectly for our needs. I like the KG-935G but my wife wants something much simpler.  I could get her a simpler brand / radio or i could get her the KG-935G and simplfy it by configuring it to do just what she needs.  Thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated 

8 hours ago, Guest KF8TQ said:

I am looking to purchase a couple og GMRS radios for me and my wife.  I have an Extra class Ham license and my wife had a Technical license but allowed it to expire.  So we are not unfamiliar with radios but are new to GMRS.  We are planning a trip to Alaska this summer in our RV and want to use this band to stay connected.  Since she can no longer use the Ham bands, we think the GMRS will work perfectly for our needs. I like the KG-935G but my wife wants something much simpler.  I could get her a simpler brand / radio or i could get her the KG-935G and simplfy it by configuring it to do just what she needs.  Thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated 

Consider the KG-805. It’s a relatively simple to use GMRS radio.

However, Canada doesn’t permit 5 watt radios on GMRS frequencies.  You’ll need to do some research to see if you can even use these radios in Canada.  Their GMRS is more like our FRS.

Guest KF8TQ
3 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Consider the KG-805. It’s a relatively simple to use GMRS radio.

However, Canada doesn’t permit 5 watt radios on GMRS frequencies.  You’ll need to do some research to see if you can even use these radios in Canada.  Their GMRS is more like our FRS.

The KG-805 doesn't have NOAA weather stations.  There are channels that only transmit 0.5 watts.  My license says that only channels 19 & 21 cannot be used in Canada.  But I'm sure none of these GMRS radios have IC Certification.

My wife and I have a couple of  935G radios as well as several others. She was never interested in getting a license when I got my amateur license and is not familiar with radios. When she first started using the radios she was worried she would hit a button or turn a knob by mistake. I just set up the radio and then use the setting to lock all keys and knobs except for PTT and volume. That solved the problems.

Guest KF8TQ
39 minutes ago, WRHS218 said:

My wife and I have a couple of  935G radios as well as several others. She was never interested in getting a license when I got my amateur license and is not familiar with radios. When she first started using the radios she was worried she would hit a button or turn a knob by mistake. I just set up the radio and then use the setting to lock all keys and knobs except for PTT and volume. That solved the problems.

Rather than "dummying" hers down to that extreme, did you not consider buying a less expensive radio?

3 hours ago, Guest KF8TQ said:

The KG-805 doesn't have NOAA weather stations.  There are channels that only transmit 0.5 watts.  My license says that only channels 19 & 21 cannot be used in Canada.  But I'm sure none of these GMRS radios have IC Certification.

If you’re trying to stay legal in both countries and have NOAA channels, the only way to do it is to buy an FRS radio that is certified by FCC and IC.  This looks promising:

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Solutions-T475-Extreme-Rechargeable/dp/B08KBP1RH7/ref=sr_1_17_sspa?crid=3TBAZQH0VFFXA&keywords=frs%2Bradio&qid=1704558129&sprefix=FRS%2B%2Caps%2C1536&sr=8-17-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&th=1

1 hour ago, Guest KF8TQ said:

Rather than "dummying" hers down to that extreme, did you not consider buying a less expensive radio?

Locking the keypad is a good idea whenever you don't want to inadvertently change a setting or channel, such as hiking etc. How many times have people accidentally changed the channel and had their com's fail as result? It's happened to me more than once. And it will enable a non radio person to use a complex radio like the 935G. Pick a channel hit the lock button and hand it to them. Volume still works. And you still have a radio that has all the capabilities when needed. It also has a bit better reception than the KG805.

KF8YQ maybe get the KG935Gplus for use in the US and a couple of inexpensive FRS Radios for the Canadian portion of your trip. They are all compatible with each other so kids can use them also. An out board antenna can turn the RV into a base station while camping.

Just some thoughts.

8 hours ago, Guest KF8TQ said:

My license says that only channels 19 & 21 cannot be used in Canada.

Go read it again.  It says you cannot use 19 and 21 above Line A in the US (i.e. close to Canada).  🙂

As others have said, "GMRS" in Canada is more akin to FRS in the US.  No repeaters, lower power, etc.