Beginner questions (antenna/radio)

Guest Max

Guest Max

Hello!

I am a total beginner and recently purchased two gmrs-9r radios that are currently in the mail. They can still be returned. While shopping I was looking for a water resistant 5 watt (at least) gmrs radio for skiing/mountain biking/camping/overlanding. My brother in law has midland gxt radios and I would like to communicate with him. I have two related questions. 

a) Most of the reviews on the gmrs-9r look good but I was warned on Reddit with no context to return them. Are they bad radios for my intended purpose?

b) For skiing I will want to get a shorter antenna. Would the smiley antenna slim duck 465 or stubby duck 465 fit and be good solutions?

I am open to all radio and antenna suggestions.

There is nothing wrong with your radios I use an 9r every day.  and my personal experience is they are better than the midland radio your buddy has.  As for antennas really depends on soo many factors.  Line of site is key.   I use 15”long 771 antennas on $20 5watt hand helds while doing all types of out door activities from snow, to quads  to horses.  And all types of work.  I usually get around 20miles line of site on simplex.  And if I connect it to a mag mount on top of my truck I get closer to 40miles.  Don’t worry about what others say.  They will have you spending all kinds of money for no reason.  Dm me for more money saving suggestions.   

• 2 weeks later...
Guest getting started

I am brand new to this life and I am looking for people to communicate with and to get my network rolling.  I am not techie so I need assistance.  I would appreciate any help that someone is willing to give me.  I don't know how this works, but I would like to make a voice connection with someone since email takes so long to carry a conversation.  I am not sure of even what questions I should ask.  Thanks for the assistance

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bama
On 2/14/2024 at 3:23 PM, Guest getting started said:

I am brand new to this life and I am looking for people to communicate with and to get my network rolling.  I am not techie so I need assistance.  I would appreciate any help that someone is willing to give me.  I don't know how this works, but I would like to make a voice connection with someone since email takes so long to carry a conversation.  I am not sure of even what questions I should ask.  Thanks for the assistance

Bama  - I am new to the gmrs world and i have alot of questions, looking for someone to help....