Question about Baofeng UV-5G Plus battery

WRVY822

16 minutes ago, WRKX686 said:

The  UV-5G Plus are all shipping with the 3500mAh battery.

Would be interesting to test one and see if the rating comes anywhere close to the real capacity. The Chinese are known for wildly inflating specifications on radios and other stuff.

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/248-2117323252_batterypacktestingjpg/?context=new

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/258-104331801_testedbaterypacksjpg/?context=new

31 minutes ago, WRVY822 said:

I'm more concerned that the 308 casings have not been properly labeled and may cause damage to my rifle

I understand your concern. So far, I have not seen or heard of any of these CCR batteries or any other radio batteries providing too much voltage. The Ah rating just gives you an idea of how long the battery should last.

2 hours ago, Lscott said:

Would be interesting to test one and see if the rating comes anywhere close to the real capacity. The Chinese are known for wildly inflating specifications on radios and other stuff.

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/248-2117323252_batterypacktestingjpg/?context=new

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/258-104331801_testedbaterypacksjpg/?context=new

Have been fighting some sites buying these batteries, to include the Motorola APX/XPR knockoff through Grainger......and wondering why the chargers (Motorola IMPRES) and Cadex condition charging profiles do not work with them. either the batteries get very hot and charging stops, or they all have the same chip/serial number and fail the IMPRES charge/condition charge cycles. 

Have forced many to do what they should have in the first place, buy from reputable vendors (one's who at least refund you if they sold fakes, or ones that do not meet sales specs). mAh capacities seem to vary a lot, and you can feel it in weight in many cases. 

The reality is as long as it is the proper 7.4 volts it really doesn’t matter how many amp hours  it is.   It’s the voltage that ruins things not the amp hours in the battery.   You could have a battery the size of a big rig and as long as it was 7.4 volts you would be fine.  All my uv5.. battery’s say 3800mah on them and I have never had an issue. 

3 hours ago, PACNWComms said:

Have been fighting some sites buying these batteries, to include the Motorola APX/XPR knockoff through Grainger......and wondering why the chargers (Motorola IMPRES) and Cadex condition charging profiles do not work with them. either the batteries get very hot and charging stops, or they all have the same chip/serial number and fail the IMPRES charge/condition charge cycles. 

Have forced many to do what they should have in the first place, buy from reputable vendors (one's who at least refund you if they sold fakes, or ones that do not meet sales specs). mAh capacities seem to vary a lot, and you can feel it in weight in many cases. 

I purchased two new Chinese clones of a Kenwood Lithium Ion battery back. They absolutely refused to charge in the official charger base. I even tried some of my spares I had of the exact same model, no good. 

Turns out the packs were missing an internal connection to a resistor that identifies the type of pack to the charger base. The charger base can do multiple battery chemistries so it has to know which one.

I had the charger base service manual with the various battery pack internals documented. I discovered a missing connection between an external charger connection and one side of the resistor. Making the connection externally using some fine gage wire the battery pack then charged up just fine.

I contacted the eBay seller to get a refund on the two packs. They said the problem was my charger base. Well I sent them the documentation to prove otherwise. They still argued so I got eBay involved and got my refund. I also left some very negative feedback about the seller too. They later begged me to change the negative comments. I told them NO. 

What likely happened is the Chinese battery pack manufacturer had a quality problem where the packs got built without that one wire connection. So, instead of scraping them out sold them to a reseller, likely for a really good discount. They in turn figured they would turn a quick buck by selling them to unsuspecting customers who don’t know any better. Well, I was one who did. Anybody who complained got the charge base excuse. I’m very sure they knew the packs were no good. They had a healthy supply of them and I can’t be the only one who complained.

3 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

The reality is as long as it is the proper 7.4 volts it really doesn’t matter how many amp hours  it is.

But it does! It’s call FRAUD. I had a buddy tell me he had opened up some cheap suspect Chinese battery backs. He found a chunk of steel in them to add weight to cover up the lower weight from the smaller low capacity cells that were used.

Maybe they misprinted some battery labels and just decided to use them anyway. It just bothers me a little that I might not have a legit battery. I don't have any real way to test the battery, and I don't have another uv-5g plus to run a comparison.

25 minutes ago, WRVY822 said:

Maybe they misprinted some battery labels and just decided to use them anyway. It just bothers me a little that I might not have a legit battery. I don't have any real way to test the battery, and I don't have another uv-5g plus to run a comparison.

Radioddity is not a vendor that I would suspect of that. 
Turn on the radio and time to see how long it takes before Baofeng lady says that the voltage is low. 
If you have another battery available in a different capacity do the same with it and compare the times. 
I think you’re worrying about nothing. It’s a Baofeng; they already put the least expensive available cells into the battery. That’s not meant as a knock.  That’s just the reality. 
Yes, I guess they might have put a metal weight in the box to simulate greater capacity; but they might have one in the actual 3500 Ah battery also. Many manufacturers put a weight in their hand mics to make them “feel better” in the hand. 

On 2/3/2024 at 12:58 AM, Sshannon said:

Radioddity is not a vendor that I would suspect of that. 

A vendor wouldn't have to do it deliberately. The battery packs are likely sourced from an outside vendor and they just slap their label on it. Unless they do some in-house quality control check they might notice notice until the complaints roll in.