Generate coverage map of your station

I'm playing around with this really awesome tool that I found. It factors in the topography (elevations), height of your antenna, the gain of your antenna, wattage (ERP), and it actually generates a detailed "heat map" overlayed on the standard google map showing how you're getting out.

My example below. I've found it to be pretty accurate. I actually went out to one of the far flung isolated specks of red to try to get a copy from back home, and sure enough it came right in..

It's kind of a clunky old windows 95 era web page and it's in another language and you have to register an account, but if you're interested in getting your coverage map made I could generate one for anyone interested. I just need the key data points of your station..

-Your location (within a street or two if you're concerned with privacy)

-Antenna height

-The gain of your antenna (3db, 6db, 9db, etc)

-Your output power in wattage

-If you're using lossy coax on a 100ft run you should probably let me know about that too, it'll matter.

This map will assume that receiving stations are mobile or HT with an antenna about car roof high. It's possible to adjust the parameters to assume higher receive antennas to see how you hit high mounted repeaters for example.

Let me know.... I'm having a lazy Sunday and can sit here doing this for a bit..

mycoverage.jpg

28 minutes ago, warthog74 said:

That’s slick. I’m game.

3323 Kewaunee Rd. Bellevue, Wi 54311

30 feet

2-3db gain

25 watts (about 15w after duplexer and line loss)

Thanks.

Ok so Ive generated 2 different ones. One is your simplex range to ground units, and the second is your "repeater range" that shows repeaters that you'd be capable of hitting assuming they were at least 150ft high.

bellevuesimplex2.png

bellevuerepeater.png

If that is the same website I am thinking of in French, it is what we used to figure out the foot print of our GMRS repeater. Here is a map of our GMRS repeater coverage area. The antennas are 400 feet above the ground. We actually get a bit more distance than what the map shows in some directions depending on the terrain.

repeatercoverage.thumb.jpg.3a03edf97c13fbcb0ee1f5ac85353afe.jpg

33 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

If that is the same website I am thinking of in French, it is what we used to figure out the foot print of our GMRS repeater. Here is a map of our GMRS repeater coverage area. The antennas are 400 feet above the ground. We actually get a bit more distance than what the map shows in some directions depending on the terrain.

repeatercoverage.thumb.jpg.3a03edf97c13fbcb0ee1f5ac85353afe.jpg

That's the one. VE2DBE. It likely is french now that I'm looking at it..