What repeater and antenna would you choose?

bshort

Question

I have 5K allocated for the entire project.  The antenna will be on a mast that is 45' agl and the location is in a large valley.  Due to some of the congestion in the area in regard to repeater traffic, we will need TSQL ability.  Hardline run will be about 40'.   

I was thinking of using an old Motorola MTR2000, but have read that it doesn't transmit a PL (haven't confirmed that though).  

What would you choose? 

10 answers to this question

You can get used Motorola repeaters programmed how ever you want to include PL tones. Our radio club just bought one setup for the 2m band. Another option is a repeater from Bridgecom. We are using a Bridgecom repeater for our GMRS repeater which has been working well for us. 

I'll recommend the Comet CA-712EFC antenna for a home repeater if you are only wanting to put up one antenna.

If you're considering a Motorola Repeater Station for your project, get something a little more modern like a Quantar with a professional quality duplexer like an EMR Corp type quality and a Laird FG4603 basestation antenna.

You'll wish you did in the long run if you go cheap and use crap equipment.

There is a reason why public safety agencies do not use consumer and amateur radio grade equipment on their systems.