Why Cant They Cant Hear Me?

Bearson22

Question

Good Afternoon All, 

I am new to GMRS, got some amazon special radios (Baofeng GM-15PRO) and have been playing around hitting the local repeater and talking with my wife as I test and learn all of this. I live in the Madison WI area and can hit the Baraboo repeater which is about 21ish miles north. I went up to norther WI last weekend and could talk to her my wife at home and i was 40ish miles north of the repeater no problem.     Sunday night at home some chatter came over the repeater, someone from Central Illinois and Milwaukee Wis. were talking. I could hear them clearly, but when I reached out no response to me at all.    What am I doing wrong? What do i need to change/adjust for them to hear me?

5 answers to this question

Or it could be that they hear you but not well enough to make out what you are saying. We have a new person that keeps calling on our repeater. His signal is strong enough to get into the repeater but all we hear is static when he transmits.

10 minutes ago, Bearson22 said:

Good Afternoon All, 

I am new to GMRS, got some amazon special radios (Baofeng GM-15PRO) and have been playing around hitting the local repeater and talking with my wife as I test and learn all of this. I live in the Madison WI area and can hit the Baraboo repeater which is about 21ish miles north. I went up to norther WI last weekend and could talk to her my wife at home and i was 40ish miles north of the repeater no problem.     Sunday night at home some chatter came over the repeater, someone from Central Illinois and Milwaukee Wis. were talking. I could hear them clearly, but when I reached out no response to me at all.    What am I doing wrong? What do i need to change/adjust for them to hear me?

It sounds like you’re doing everything right as far as the repeater.
I don’t know if the repeater you’re using is networked and you’re hearing someone connecting that way. Nor do I know what you must do to connect to them. 

You were hearing traffic on a linked repeater that is linked with a network of other repeaters. Most linked repeaters will utilize two different input tones/codes, one for local repeater mode only and one for the linked network mode.

This could be your issue.