When installing a GMRS base antenna...

Jack442

Question

16 answers to this question

5 hours ago, Jack442 said:

Is a grounded Lightning Arrestor Coaxial Connector Surge Protector required. This for example. Where in the line would it be best to attach it and should the ground wire run separated from the coax cable.

Here’s one of the best explanations of the requirements of the NEC and antenna grounding:

https://reeve.com/Documents/Articles Papers/Reeve_AntennaSystemGroundingRequirements.pdf

So far the equipment I have begun to acquire for a base antenna:

• Retevis 462-467MHz GMRS Fiberglass Amateur Base Antenna, PL259 Connector
  • XRDS-RF UHF Lightning Arrestor PL-259 Lightning Surge Protector PL259 Plug (UHF Male) to SO239 Socket (UHF Female)
  • RG8x Coaxial Cable, 50ft UHF PL259 Male to Male, 50 Ohm plus several short jumpers
  • 50 Feet- Insulated Copper THHN/THWN Wire - 12 AWG, Wire 
  • 50 Feet 6 AWG 19-Stranded THHN White Copper Wire 6 AWG  Wire
  • Pole Mount Bracket Anti Vibration Antenna Mount Hardware Accessories (2)
  • 5/8x96 inch ground rod and grounding rod clamp, Oxi-Gard anti oxidant compound

I don't have any 1-1/2-in 330 Psi Schedule 40 PVC Pipe yet but that is easy to source. This will lift the antenna about 3 feet above my roofline.

Does this all sound reasonable or should I rethink the whole thing?

I would not use RG-8X coax. it will have too much loss at GMRS frequencies. RG-8X is for HF frequencies. Your best bet is to use LMR400 or equivalent.

Here is a good thread on coax loss. https://forums.mygmrs.com/topic/252-cable-types-and-losses/page/5/#comment-69960

RG-8X is not listed. But it generally has more loss than standard RG-8

1 minute ago, Jack442 said:

Is this what you are talking about?

Messi & Paoloni Ultraflex 10 Premium .400" Pre-assembled Coax - UHF Male (PL259) Connectors

Yes that is one brand. And it is a very good brand the makes some of the best coax cables.

You can use dielectric grease on the threads only. Don't let it get on the outside of the connector and the center conductor at the same time. Or you can use vaseline on the threads only too. Best is to wrap it with self sealing rubber tape.