New Feature? Offline Repeater Database Functionality In The App/ Downloadable Repeater Database

AA452

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to this forum and will be taking a road trip across the Americas here in about a month.

Something I'm interested in trying is doing mostly the whole thing disconnected from the internet

Mixing the ways of the old pioneers of route 66, who had no google maps to find gas stations and food etc.

and the new ways of central vicinity communication, CB Radio (however little it used now and offers little range) and more importantly to me, GMRS Radio for it's obvious benefits 

But not so new that I'm using google maps for my every turn, gas stop, restaurant, and sleeping location.

Basically turning my cell phone off, and hitting the road to disconnect from the greater cyclone of the internet and global communication, and really exploring America at her roots

All while accessing this 'underground' network of repeaters to stay in local vicinity communication on my trip. I say underground because if you were to explain the GMRS repeater network to someone who is not a radio head like us, they would probably see it as some kind of off grid underground communication channel thing. And I think that's pretty cool.

So being in the app, if there was a way to simply hit "download offline information" (would maybe take a few hundred Mb) then when I turn on the GPS on my tablet, it doesn't need to query an internet server to find repeater results near me. Because it can simply query the offline downloaded database of GPS coordinates of repeaters.

I think this would also have massively beneficial implications in times of national emergency, say if there was a need to evacuate an area due to natural disaster and power and cell towers are down, and you had to drive to the next state over, having an offline available app for us GMRS operators to use and find repeaters would be hugely helpful.

Please give any thoughts or comments on this idea below, all constructive criticism is welcome!

I don’t think so.  I’d just sit down for an hour and plan my trip and load what I need into my software.  I like the idea of what you’re doing but the reality is if you’re just driving across the country and main highways you won’t need any gps or maps to find fuel and hotels or rear stops.  It’s pretty well organized nowa days. 

Even if the decision were made to add this feature to the app, it likely wouldn't be ready in time for your trip. You might think about making a spreadsheet and/or marking repeaters on your downloaded GPS map. Even marking them on a paper map might be helpful. It would be a lot of maps to go all the way across but it would be nice when you are stopped. As far as I know, any state will send you a map for free if you ask. I use my GPS mostly but I still like looking at a paper map. I just feel like I get a better visual of the area like that. The phone is too small to get a good picture of the area.

8 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

I don’t think so.  I’d just sit down for an hour and plan my trip and load what I need into my software.  I like the idea of what you’re doing but the reality is if you’re just driving across the country and main highways you won’t need any gps or maps to find fuel and hotels or rear stops.  It’s pretty well organized nowa days. 

I will be avoiding main highways, the idea here is to take a muli-month trip looking into all the nooks and crannies of the country, while seeing things you won't see on a regular highway trip just passing through. Call up on a repeater nearby and let them know where I'm from and where I'm traveling to and ask for any input on what's to see around in the local area, or anything to avoid.

8 hours ago, WRXB215 said:

Even if the decision were made to add this feature to the app, it likely wouldn't be ready in time for your trip. You might think about making a spreadsheet and/or marking repeaters on your downloaded GPS map. Even marking them on a paper map might be helpful. It would be a lot of maps to go all the way across but it would be nice when you are stopped. As far as I know, any state will send you a map for free if you ask. I use my GPS mostly but I still like looking at a paper map. I just feel like I get a better visual of the area like that. The phone is too small to get a good picture of the area.

I already am planning on doing this sort of thing (it will be absolutely insanely tedious) using my offline maps software OSMand. I know the update wouldn't be done in time for me, but I think this sort of thing would benefit many others in the future, not just for the scope of application such as the trip I am taking. I also have the ability to just scan on the repeater frequencies around me, and scan for the tone it is outputting as well, so it's still possible to tap into repeaters without a database, it just takes longer and I may find some repeaters people aren't too happy about a stranger hopping on their repeater.

RT System software can automatically populate repeaters in your radio’s memory based on location (zip code plus radius is just one way).  Chirp has similar features. 
Use the memory banks or zones of many radios to create zones that reflect different locations along your journey and then just switch from bank to bank (or zone to zone) as you travel. 
Alinco’s DMR radio even has “roaming zones” and a built in GPS. 

12 hours ago, AA452 said:

I already am planning on doing this sort of thing (it will be absolutely insanely tedious) using my offline maps software OSMand. I know the update wouldn't be done in time for me, but I think this sort of thing would benefit many others in the future, not just for the scope of application such as the trip I am taking. I also have the ability to just scan on the repeater frequencies around me, and scan for the tone it is outputting as well, so it's still possible to tap into repeaters without a database, it just takes longer and I may find some repeaters people aren't too happy about a stranger hopping on their repeater.

I'd suggest programming all 8 repeater channels for a tone of 141.3, the national travel tone and setup scan for all 8 channels. A good majority of public repeaters use this tone and is usually a good way to tell if a repeater is public or not. If you hear something that's not on 141.3 then scan for the tone if you want.

2 hours ago, markskjerve said:

I'd suggest programming all 8 repeater channels for a tone of 141.3, the national travel tone and setup scan for all 8 channels. A good majority of public repeaters use this tone and is usually a good way to tell if a repeater is public or not. If you hear something that's not on 141.3 then scan for the tone if you want.

This is actually great advice, and I didn't know that 141.3 is the national travel tone, although it makes sense because many of these repeaters I am adding to my database use 141.3.

7 hours ago, markskjerve said:

Excellent recommendation. I have my radios set up this way and completely spaced sharing this idea. 

4 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

Excellent recommendation. I have my radios set up this way and completely spaced sharing this idea. 

Do you have 2 mobile radios in your car? Like one for scanning and the other for main talking on? I'm thinking of doing this in my car for my trip. I also have a CB Radio which is rarely used in the midwest where I live, but cross country may be more useful.

Markskjerve said it all. I'm new to the GMRS repeater world myself. I'm just wondering how many repeaters are private that you may hear conversation but not have access. Now with radios that can scan for tones, it's probably a mute point while traveling.

Years ago, you could get trip tickets from AAA. Maps would be market up with routing and highlight the locations in route that was of your interest. Not sure if that's an option today.

If you did want to turn the phone on every now and then, the RepeaterBook app does a great job locating what's close to you at any given time using auto location. It does have options (Filter) for selecting bands to include GMRS. 

I think you're right that CB is not like it use to be but I would still take a portable with you and throw up a mag antenna for the heck of it. I've often heard conversations when there was stop and go traffic on interstates learning what was going on. 

I still would recommend bringing a laptop for evening planning when you stop at night. Google search in the area you are traveling to may help locate the best local stops for dinner and help with stops that are important to you knowing what's open and times.

16 hours ago, AA452 said:

Do you have 2 mobile radios in your car? Like one for scanning and the other for main talking on? I'm thinking of doing this in my car for my trip. I also have a CB Radio which is rarely used in the midwest where I live, but cross country may be more useful.

No, not right now. I only meant that I program some of my radios the same. I program many of my HT (and mobile) radios the same so if I hear something on one I can easily pick up another and go to the same channel number. For instance if I'm scanning on one of my Ham radios and hear someone calling out on a GMRS channel I can pick up one of my GMRS radios and go to the same channel to respond and vise versa. It also makes for an easy transition if I'm on my mobile and then go to exit the truck while in coversation I can quickly set my HT to continue. I do have a dual band mobile if I want to scan on one side while maintaining the other side.

1 minute ago, WRUU653 said:

No, not right now. I only meant that I program some of my radios the same. I program many of my HT (and mobile) radios the same so if I hear something on one I can easily pick up another and go to the same channel number. For instance if I'm scanning on one of my Ham radios and hear someone calling out on a GMRS channel I can pick up one of my GMRS radios and go to the same channel to respond and vise versa. It also makes for an easy transition if I'm on my mobile and then go to exit the truck while in coversation I can quickly set my HT to continue. I do have a dual band mobile if I want to scan on one side while maintaining the other side.

That’s smart. 

On 3/26/2024 at 11:21 PM, WRUE951 said:

Having the complete database in KMZ format is a wonderful thing. And very handy.  coming to you soon

I'm jumping up and down giggling right now after opening your Pcalifornia.kmz file in google earth. My god this is better than I expected, and color coded for open repeaters. How did you compile this data? Do you work for mygmrs? I like the idea of having a kmz file for each individual state, also having a kmz file is better too. I use a offline maps platform called osmand which is ridiculously powerful and incredibly feature and rich, and nearly every single option, map display, etc is customizable. And it's all offline. With this KMZ I can import it into that so while I am navigating I'll be able to see the repeaters nearby visually, something you cannot do in something like google maps or waze. I'm just awestruck because this has absolutely exceeded what I thought of being able to do. If there was a (free) or "pro" paid feature in the mygmrs app or website where you can download the kmz file database by state, and it's updated and recompiled the same way the app and map feature is, it's something I'd pay for, and maybe a few others as well.

9 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

Very interesting. Thank you for your insight!

Wow this thread has blown up a little, I'm glad this is getting some attention and stirring up some ideas among all of us :)

Thank you everyone!

12 hours ago, Darmie said:

Markskjerve said it all. I'm new to the GMRS repeater world myself. I'm just wondering how many repeaters are private that you may hear conversation but not have access. Now with radios that can scan for tones, it's probably a mute point while traveling.

Years ago, you could get trip tickets from AAA. Maps would be market up with routing and highlight the locations in route that was of your interest. Not sure if that's an option today.

If you did want to turn the phone on every now and then, the RepeaterBook app does a great job locating what's close to you at any given time using auto location. It does have options (Filter) for selecting bands to include GMRS. 

I think you're right that CB is not like it use to be but I would still take a portable with you and throw up a mag antenna for the heck of it. I've often heard conversations when there was stop and go traffic on interstates learning what was going on. 

I still would recommend bringing a laptop for evening planning when you stop at night. Google search in the area you are traveling to may help locate the best local stops for dinner and help with stops that are important to you knowing what's open and times.

I actually have a full sized CB radio in my car, and a 3' fiberglass antenna popping out of my roof. I've daily driven my car like that for the past 8 months actually haha

17 hours ago, AA452 said:

I'm jumping up and down giggling right now after opening your Pcalifornia.kmz file in google earth. My god this is better than I expected, and color coded for open repeaters. How did you compile this data? Do you work for mygmrs? I like the idea of having a kmz file for each individual state, also having a kmz file is better too. I use a offline maps platform called osmand which is ridiculously powerful and incredibly feature and rich, and nearly every single option, map display, etc is customizable. And it's all offline. With this KMZ I can import it into that so while I am navigating I'll be able to see the repeaters nearby visually, something you cannot do in something like google maps or waze. I'm just awestruck because this has absolutely exceeded what I thought of being able to do. If there was a (free) or "pro" paid feature in the mygmrs app or website where you can download the kmz file database by state, and it's updated and recompiled the same way the app and map feature is, it's something I'd pay for, and maybe a few others as well.

Very interesting. Thank you for your insight!

Wow this thread has blown up a little, I'm glad this is getting some attention and stirring up some ideas among all of us :)

Thank you everyone!

you used to be able to use Excel (the newest version) to pull the data from the web site..  But that is no longer working.  I agree with you that the site owner should use the KMZ option to the his paid service.. He would easily increase his paid service subscriptions by doing so.  I did offer to help him do this for no fees.  Even offered to give him the template i built to get the data into KMZ/KML format, he never answered my message.  The template i built would allow him to make KML/KMZ for all states.    I hope the sample of data i sent will entice him to get this going.  In the mean time another web site has reached out to me asking to help them build KMZ files for GMRS.  I would rather help this site get it going but we'll see what happens.   

7 hours ago, WRUE951 said:

you used to be able to use Excel (the newest version) to pull the data from the web site..  But that is no longer working.  I agree with you that the site owner should use the KMZ option to the his paid service.. He would easily increase his paid service subscriptions by doing so.  I did offer to help him do this for no fees.  Even offered to give him the template i built to get the data into KMZ/KML format, he never answered my message.  The template i built would allow him to make KML/KMZ for all states.    I hope the sample of data i sent will entice him to get this going.  In the mean time another web site has reached out to me asking to help them build KMZ files for GMRS.  I would rather help this site get it going but we'll see what happens.   

How would one get ahold of/ message the site owner? I'm going to reach out and express my support for what you have mentioned above, and link this thread. He needs to know the greater GMRS community would benefit from / and is looking for a KMZ solution like this. I saw that the paid subscription allows you to generate .csv files for use in chirp, so he already has some sort of code that exports into that sort of format, it would just be adding the coordinates and system access (open/private) to it as well.

7 hours ago, AA452 said:

How would one get ahold of/ message the site owner? I'm going to reach out and express my support for what you have mentioned above, and link this thread. He needs to know the greater GMRS community would benefit from / and is looking for a KMZ solution like this. I saw that the paid subscription allows you to generate .csv files for use in chirp, so he already has some sort of code that exports into that sort of format, it would just be adding the coordinates and system access (open/private) to it as well.

The owner is @rdunajewski, I find using the contact link located on the map site is best. You can also report your own comment in upper right corner.