MXT575 low pwr

PuddlePirate

Question

I submitted this to Midland tech support with no response so maybe someone here can give me some opinions and/or suggestions. My Midland MXT575 is powered by 13.8vdc Pyramid PS9KX power supply. Testing with a Surecom SW-33 meter and 50W dummy load, the best output I can get is 22-23W on various channels. I know you will probably never get the full claimed power output but less than 50% ?

THX, Tim (WSAC215) Star Valley, AZ

6 answers to this question

Have you tested low power or medium if it has it?   Many radios have it swapped for some reason.  

Many people I know that have had midlands get out from under them as soon as they can.  They have many problems and a good quality radio with more features can be had for 1/2 or less.  And I MUCH better radio cam be had for the same price with again more features and easier to use. 

19 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

Have you tested low power or medium if it has it?   Many radios have it swapped for some reason.  

Many people I know that have had midlands get out from under them as soon as they can.  They have many problems and a good quality radio with more features can be had for 1/2 or less.  And I MUCH better radio cam be had for the same price with again more features and easier to use. 

Haven't tested low power.  Curious to see what (if) Midland says.  Maybe repair/replace?  Thinking of Wouxan 1000G+ ? Any suggestions on a good 50W radio?

A couple things;

The pyramid ps9kx power supply claims a 5amp constant output, but I see several claims that it really only stands the test of 3amp constant over time.

A true 50 watt radio at 13v needs just under 14amps.

Do you have the means to validate the max amp output of your power supply and be sure it’s not the issue?

I have sw-33 plus meter and find it to be fairly sensitive to insertion loss depending on what connection points and adapters I use, along with the typical coax loss concerns, so it may be worth validating the meter with

a known good radio.

For the record, across my family, I’m running 2 mxt575 and 2 mxt275, none

of which have shown to have much less than advertised output at the antenna connection/back of radio, (the 575 easily hit 47 or so watts at high power,

5 watts low). All 4 are installed mobile and running direct off the battery with a heavier gauge wire set than what midland provides.

Not saying yours isn’t having issues at all, just some thoughts for validating.

50 minutes ago, WRZE995 said:

A true 50 watt radio at 13v needs just under 4amps.

All the 50W rated radios I've seen (and used) all need better than 10 Amps but less than 15. I sure would like to know what radio you've got that puts out 45 - 50W on UHF and only draws 3A.

1 minute ago, BoxCar said:

All the 50W rated radios I've seen (and used) all need better than 10 Amps but less than 15. I sure would like to know what radio you've got that puts out 45 - 50W on UHF and only draws 3A.

Typo… that was supposed to say “…just under 14amps”