No one can hear me

WSBZ888

Question

Bought a yaesu 60 r/e bought the program for it did everything it said. Sometimes I can hear others while scanning through but it seems no one can hear me at all.  What am I doing wrong? Super new to all this just got FCC license.

19 answers to this question

Bought a yaesu 60 r/e bought the program for it did everything it said. Sometimes I can hear others while scanning through but it seems no one can hear me at all.  What am I doing wrong? Super new to all this just got FCC license.
Don't think by default the 60re can transmit on gmrs.

Not at least without a cap mod.

Since it is amateur radio ht. Not a gmrs ht.

EDIT: yup just confirmed transmit is 430-450 uhf and 144-148 vhf. Ham 2m and 70cm bands.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, WSBZ888 said:

What exactly does that mean? Am I unable to talk on it? 

Correct, you won't be able to use the Yaesu for GMRS.  What you bought is for the amateur 2m and 70cm bands which requires an amateur license. I would try to return the radio if you can and then buy a GMRS radio instead. Or keep it and get your amateur license.

1 minute ago, WRYZ926 said:

Correct, you won't be able to use the Yaesu for GMRS.  What you bought is for the amateur 2m and 70cm bands which requires an amateur license. I would try to return the radio if you can and then buy a GMRS radio instead. Or keep it and get your amateur license.

I do have an FCC license.

26 minutes ago, kidphc said:

Don't think by default the 60re can transmit on gmrs.

Not at least without a cap mod.

Since it is amateur radio ht. Not a gmrs ht.

EDIT: yup just confirmed transmit is 430-450 uhf and 144-148 vhf. Ham 2m and 70cm bands.

You would be able to use the radio legally on the frequencies it is made for.
Legally/technically.. you would need a FCC approved device for each service.

1 radio for gmrs/frs
1 radio for amateur uhf/vhf
1 radio for amateur hf ( they have base stations that do 2m/70cm and hf)
1 radio for cb
1 radio for public safety 700-800
Yada yada and so on.

Fun part most antennas can't do multi services well either.

57 minutes ago, WSBZ888 said:

The FT60r is a very nice radio for use on the 2 meter and 70 cm ham bands, but without modification cannot transmit on GMRS. GMRS is not amateur radio. 
There are some nice radios available for GMRS and they’re typically easier to use than a ham radio. 
Personally, I really enjoy being a ham and if that interests you I’d be happy to recommend study guides, but if you’re just looking for a radio to use casually with your family or friends without learning about frequencies and the speed of light, GMRS is very nice. 
Welcome to the forums and good luck whatever you want to do. 

49 minutes ago, gortex2 said:

Want to talk on GMRS buy GMRS Radio. Want to talk on HAM buy a HAM radio. 

You bought a HAM radio. 

Ok, so the Radioddity gm 30, would that work for gmrs?  If so is that a good one to start off with user friendly and what not? Like I said I am really new to all of this. So completely clueless. 

7 minutes ago, WSBZ888 said:

Ok, so the Radioddity gm 30, would that work for gmrs?  If so is that a good one to start off with user friendly and what not? Like I said I am really new to all of this. So completely clueless. 

The last thing I heard about the GM-30 was that it was shipping with one channel (15) not working. I wouldn’t order one. 
I would buy a Wouxun KG-805 and watch Notarubicon videos if I were you. 

3 minutes ago, WRWE456 said:

The first real question we should ask is what are you wanting to use two way radio for? Answer that and you will get better advice.

Hobby use.  I suppose I'm looking at this as my grandparents were always on the cb radio when I was a kid so I feel like this is the "new" cb radio.   The ham radio would be for emergency use only now that ive discovered it is not compatible with gmrs.

Good now we are getting somewhere. I guess the first thing to point out it that GMRS is intended for families and groups to stay in touch and less for chatting with strangers or "making contacts". That is why the GMRS license covers your family under one call sign. Now many people use repeater's (which are special  two way radios mounted high on hills or towers that receive and then rebroadcast your signal out over a wider area to allow greater coverage) to "make contacts" and have chat sessions etc. But that depends where you live. Much more activity in cities and much less to none in rural locations. You can try and find local repeaters by scanning with a GMRS programed radio or scanner or you can use the repeater finder map on My GMRS main site.

Ham radio is better if making random contacts is your thing.

Here are a couple of links to check out.

https://mygmrs.com/

https://mygmrs.com/map

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2024/01/how-to-buy-your-first-gmrs-radio.html