Clean radio install

Spent the afternoon ripping my dash apart. I had ordered an aftermarket stereo and mounting/wiring kit that arrived today. As i was putting the kit together i noticed the tray under the stereo looked tall enough and deep enough for my Leixen VV998 dual band radio. Sure enough, it fit nice and snug. I drilled out the back of the tray to run the coax and power cable, and made a few more holes for venting. The radio has a setting to use the microphone as a speaker so i didn't have to worry that i covered the internal speaker or find room to mount an external speaker. I think it looks good, and it sits flush with the stereo face plate.

While i was at it i got rid of the mag mount, and finally installed the NMO hood mount.

leixen-vv998-installed.jpeg

murs-gmrs-antenna.jpeg

1 hour ago, WRXP381 said:

What antenna is that on the lip mount?   Obviously it’s a no ground plane antenna?  

Browning MURS / GMRS tuned antenna i got about 9 years ago before my original GMRS license expired. It came with a mag mount. I’m guessing it uses the metal from the vehicle for a ground plane. Here’s the Ebay Link.

11 minutes ago, warthog74 said:

Browning MURS / GMRS tuned antenna i got about 9 years ago before my original GMRS license expired. It came with a mag mount. I’m guessing it uses the metal from the vehicle for a ground plane. Here’s the Ebay Link.

I would just be concerned you’re not getting the greatest ground plane with that antenna mounted on the edge of the hood like that.  Cb antennas would work fine that way but a uhf ground plane antenna usually would needs 12” min all the way around and to be above the cab/passenger compartment.   It’s seams that may be a very front right heavy transmit and receive location.  

It will have to due. So far it seems fine in my brief testing this afternoon. Not many options on a truck with a bed liner and tonneau cover and your garage door is only 7’ tall. At least it looks better than a mag mount tossed in the center of the hood. 🙃

Slick. Sadly no sunglasses holder as this truck has a sunroof. I thought about detaching the face of my TYT TH9800 and putting it in the tray if this didn’t work out, but glad it did. I like keeping the TYT in the house as a base unit. If something happens to the Leixen it’s only a $70 loss. It’s basically a glorified Baofeng HT in a mobile form factor, but it works well enough and is capable of 25w if needed.

15 hours ago, warthog74 said:

Slick. Sadly no sunglasses holder as this truck has a sunroof. I thought about detaching the face of my TYT TH9800 and putting it in the tray if this didn’t work out, but glad it did. I like keeping the TYT in the house as a base unit. If something happens to the Leixen it’s only a $70 loss. It’s basically a glorified Baofeng HT in a mobile form factor, but it works well enough and is capable of 25w if needed.

What make and model is your truck? I was assuming it is a newer F150, but I'm not rally sure. Mine is an older F150 with sun roof. 

12 minutes ago, tcp2525 said:

What make and model is your truck? I was assuming it is a newer F150, but I'm not rally sure. Mine is an older F150 with sun roof. 

It's an older ’06 F150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 with 237,000 miles on it. The rims are from a 2018 F150. Still runs like new. 👍

IMG_20240331_124337.jpg

2 minutes ago, warthog74 said:

It's an older ’06 F150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 with 237,000 miles on it. The rims are from a 2018 F150. Still runs like new. 👍

IMG_20240331_124337.jpg

Very nice! I have a 2013 Limited. I finally upgraded to 20" wheels from a 2023 F150 after ruining two 22" rims from Baltimore potholes. I love the 20s and wished I did it sooner.