First "Mobile", stuck on what to get.

Primarily I want to communicate via GMRS, but have the ability to monitor other stuff outside that range...

I was about an inch away from ordering the KG-1000G.  Now they are on backorder.  So while I'm twiddling my thumbs, I decided to look at some alternatives that check a lot of the same boxes. (Ability to comunicate via GMRS, removable face, easy to read display, simple to operate)

Alt 1: TYT TH-9800D: It's a quad band, on the CHIRP list of devices, from what I've read, folks have been able to transmit in the 462 - 467 range.  As a bonus,  it's a solid $150 less than the KG. https://www.buytwowayradios.com/tyt-th-9800.html

Alt 2: KG-UV980P: Quad band from wouxon.  On wouxon's site, https://www.wouxun.com/radios/KG-UV980P.aspx it looks like I can transmit on GMRS.... but when I look at distributor descriptions and reviews, that's aparenly a big fat NO, "They software block all american distributions."  (I don't know if that is true or not... but $380 is a lot to spend to NOT be able to communicate with my friends) 

Suposidly there was some fancy software out there that could do some wouxun magic that no one can find anymore.... but CHIRP now lists several wouxun devices (including the UV980 and the KG-1000G.) I don't know if that makes a difference.

Or do I just say screw it all and get a BTECH amp for $99 and use my $18 UV-5R?  

It looks like their shipping estimate is six days from now.
The KG-1000 plus is a good radio and if you’re sold on it I would get on the wait list. It will go by fast. I’m not sure about the radios you are comparing it to but the 1000 is a super het and liked by many. Just my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

It looks like their shipping estimate is six days from now.

I missed the "six days" part.... I'm blaming COVID PTSD.... all the projects that got scrapped due to delays and backorders that went on for months.  I saw "Backorder" and my brain fried.

The only other + to the UV980p is it also receives AM.  Not a huge selling point for me... but it might be fun to drive the kids by the airport and listen to the tower while watching planes come in.  But if I can't talk on GMRS, no bueno.  

Appreciate your opinion 🙂.

1 hour ago, WROA496 said:

I missed the "six days" part.... I'm blaming COVID PTSD.... all the projects that got scrapped due to delays and backorders that went on for months.  I saw "Backorder" and my brain fried.

The only other + to the UV980p is it also receives AM.  Not a huge selling point for me... but it might be fun to drive the kids by the airport and listen to the tower while watching planes come in.  But if I can't talk on GMRS, no bueno.  

Appreciate your opinion 🙂.

The KG-1000 plus looks like it will get those AM frequencies as well. 😉

image.thumb.jpeg.10ba87bf281cdcb2ea7878fd36b92a3d.jpeg

Why get a radio you can only receive on most frequencies?   None of my mobile units cost more then $150.  All of them are full uhf and vhf transmit and they are all water proof and with the right antennas on the trucks 75 miles is easy and at home with a big antenna 200 miles is easy and happens every day.   And I beat the heck out of my radios 7 days a week and have never had one issue.  All are chirp and no one can tell what radios I have , not that I care what other people think. 

I will throw my 2 pennies worth in, I have been around radios for many years. But I am new to GMRS, I debated for a while on what radio to get and I decided to get the Wouxun 1000g+ and I have been super happy with it. I have other radios for 2meter/70cm use as well as HF radios. I just believe that the radio should and would perform best for what it is designed for.

The KG1000G+ will receive all the frequencies but only transmits on the GMRS freqs. Just get on the Buytwowayradio site and list to be notified when in stock, but check everyday. That is what I did and grabbed mine as soon as I saw it available. It is a great radio, I don't think you can go wrong with it.

2 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

The KG-1000 plus looks like it will get those AM frequencies as well. 😉

image.thumb.jpeg.10ba87bf281cdcb2ea7878fd36b92a3d.jpeg

Where did you get that reference?  https://www.wouxun.com/radios/KG-1000G-PLUS.aspx Wouxun doen't show that on their site.  (Not saying I don't believe you... just emphasizing my hardship with finding the right radio given different info on different sites.)

2 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

Why get a radio you can only receive on most frequencies?   

I figure if I need to transmit on other frequencies, I can use my UV-5R.  Education is the other reason... maybe once I get more comfortable and have folks to talk to outside of GMRS, I'll put more towards communicating on it.

2 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

not that I care what other people think. 

You may not care... but if it saved money and works great... would you mind sharing what you use? 

1 hour ago, WSAA392 said:

I will throw my 2 pennies worth in...

$2.00 now.  You have to adjust for inflation.  I appreciate your input and I took your suggestion (added myself to their notification list).

37 minutes ago, WROA496 said:

Where did you get that reference?  https://www.wouxun.com/radios/KG-1000G-PLUS.aspx Wouxun doen't show that on their site.  (Not saying I don't believe you... just emphasizing my hardship with finding the right radio given different info on different sites.)

Here’s what another vendor says:

Wouxun KG-1000G Plus Features

• 30 GMRS Channels
  • 8 Built-In GMRS Repeater Channels
  • 999 Custom Memory Channels
  • 50-53.995 MHz Receive Only Frequencies (6m)
  • 108-179.995 MHz Receive Only VHF Frequencies
  • 320-349.995 MHz Receive Only Frequencies
  • 400-479.995 MHz Receive Only UHF Frequencies (70cm)
  • 700-985 MHz Receive Only Frequencies
  • AM 108-136MHz (RX)
  • Built-in NOAA Weather Channels

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-1000g-plus.html

I love my TYT TH9800. Great radio for the money. However, rumor has it that the 2021 and newer models are locked down and will not TX on GMRS and MURS frequencies among others. You'd have to find a seller with new "old stock" pre 2021 build dates to actually get a good one. I bought mine 9-10 years ago and it came unlocked.  Hate to see you buy one and get hosed with a frequency locked unit.

If you're on a budget, these radios are worth the price, and aren't restricted at all. Small too. Barely bigger than a deck of cards. I own a few of them, work well for what they are, but do have some of same quirks other cheaper units do. Here's some reviews.

On 4/22/2024 at 11:55 PM, warthog74 said:

I love my TYT TH9800. Great radio for the money. However, rumor has it that the 2021 and newer models are locked down and will not TX on GMRS and MURS frequencies among others

The new TYT TH-9800 and TH-7800 can still be unlocked. They are good amateur band radios for the price. The downside is they are susceptible to RFI if ran near HF radios.

The Wouxun KG-1000G on the other hand is does not have the RFI issues. Plus it is a Part 95 certified radio for those that care about that stuff.

I run a TYT TH-7800 and a Wouxun KG-1000G side by side with my Yaesu FTDX10 a few feet away. The TH-7800 picks up interference from the FTDX10 while the KG-1000G does not. I mention this because the KG-1000G will do better in RFI and EMI noisy areas.

I appreciate everyone's input.  The Wouxun (20 hours later) is no longer on backorder, so I've got one on the way.  I'm hoping this will be a good 1st mobile radio that will keep me interested and learning.  My goal is to someday have the knowledge to understand this new world I'm walking into without getting overwelmed. 

1 hour ago, WROA496 said:

I appreciate everyone's input.  The Wouxun (20 hours later) is no longer on backorder, so I've got one on the way.  I'm hoping this will be a good 1st mobile radio that will keep me interested and learning.  My goal is to someday have the knowledge to understand this new world I'm walking into without getting overwelmed. 

I don’t have one but by far the folks who have them are very positive. 

4 hours ago, WROA496 said:

The Wouxun (20 hours later) is no longer on backorder

Perfect.  I was in the same boat last month but didn’t wait.  I got the Wouxun KG-20XS and am very happy.  Good luck!!

I'm glad you ended up with the KG-1000G. It's a great over the counter GMRS radio. One of my favorites.

I had the TYT TH-9800D when it was sold by Yaesu as the FT-8900R. 15-20 years ago, it was a great radio. I would buy one today if it was $100 or less. I'm not to keen on about $250 for tech that old, when newer, better performing radios are available for about $200 to $300, depending on brand and features. 

The UV980p is a good radio, too. It's the platform the KG-1000 was built on., though I'm not sure there is a MARS/CAP mod for it.

1 hour ago, Lscott said:

Pirate mode? Unless you mean more $$$$.

Not necessarily.  I picked up a Hytera HM782 mobile on Ebay last summer for $350 bucks.  Best radio i've ever owned and have since picked up a couple PD782 Portables for pretty damn good deal.   Keep your eyes out, you can get pretty good deals on the Motorolas as well.  Plenty of software on line for either radios so thats a none issue.     I love the Hytera Radios.  

1 hour ago, WRUE951 said:

I love the Hytera Radios.  

I'm basically a Kenwood guy. I collect mostly HT's. I get most of my radios off of eBay. One has to be a real bargain hunter to avoid over paying. I'm on the look out for a super good deal on some NX-1200DVK2 radios. I want to pay significantly under $200 per unit. Last radio I got was an almost new NX-1300DUK5 with battery pack and antenna for $175. The seller was asking originally $280.

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/290-nx-1300duk5/?context=new

All thought not Part 95 certified the 400 to 470 band split make nice radios for the Ham 70cm band and will work on GMRS using FM wide band only.

My main GMRS HT is the TK-3170 which is Part 95 certified. This is my usual carry radio when I'm out and about. You can find these on eBay for reasonable prices if you shop for a while. Using a cheap 1/4 wave magnet mount it does a good job hitting local wide area coverage repeaters. It has enough range on the PLL to work down into the Ham 70cm band to access the local repeaters there as well.

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/263-tk-3170jpg/

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/338-cheap-14-wave-gmrs-antenna/

For less than $350 you can get a Motorola XTL5000 UHF Dashmount radio with 1,000 channels, programming cable, windows CPS software, microphone, and speaker which is a lot better radio in more ways then one as compared to a Hytera.

Also, I wouldn't pass on a comparable model Kenwood.