NuBe Chirp Question

TacticalTodd

Question

Doing some summer traveling and programming in some repeaters for the states we will be traveling thru.

I have noticed that some repeaters will have a different INPUT tone and a different OUTPUT tone. 

Did the Google and YouTube thing, only to confuse myself even more.

While in CHIRP, how do I program these different input and output tones?

Thank you all so much.

Todd

16 answers to this question

The repeater tones are opposite of what you want programmed to your radio.

For example, the INPUT tone of the repeater is the tone that the receiver is listening for to “accept” a transmission. So, you want to set the OUTPUT tone of your radio equal to this frequency.

Similarly, the OUTPUT tone of the repeater is what your radio needs to be programmed to listen for to “accept” the transmissions from the repeater. So, you want to set the INPUT tone of your radio equal to this frequency.

It is a bit confusing at first since they seem “backwards”, but you will get the hang of it! It helps to think of it from the “point of view” of the repeater. Hope this helps!

If only someone would make a very simple to understand youtube video explaining this all in very simple terms that anyone could understand, while at the same time using very easy-to-understand hand-gestures..

Whoever could achieve that would literally become the queen of all that is GMRS!

Just now, OffRoaderX said:

If only someone would make a very simple to understand youtube video explaining this all in very simple terms that anyone could understand, while at the same time using very easy-to-understand hand-gestures..

Whoever could achieve that would literally be the queen of GMRS!

If only.     Ummmm.  

9 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

Whoever could achieve that would literally become the queen of all that is GMRS!

Good points all, but as I examine any chirp file on hand I only see "Tone", with no distinction between in and out (chuckle).  He has a point; I don't have an answer.

(Note: Not the latest version of Chirp on my end.)

13 minutes ago, GreggInFL said:

Good points all, but as I examine any chirp file on hand I only see "Tone", with no distinction between in and out (chuckle).  He has a point; I don't have an answer.

(Note: Not the latest version of Chirp on my end.)

Thank you Greg.

EXACTLY my point.  I'm getting pretty good at Chirp, [watched many of the YT vidz]  but I too,  am unable to to find that programming distinction. Grrrr

10 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

Ok so chirp you must select cross tone for tone mode.  Then You have to select what type of cross tone under cross mode.  Then I put your tone or dtcs tones  in the proper place.  IMG_4828.thumb.jpeg.a46f0abc7abf2593899de9d669114572.jpeg

10 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

Ok so chirp you must select cross tone for tone mode.  Then You have to select what type of cross tone under cross mode.  Then I put your tone or dtcs tones  in the proper place.  IMG_4828.thumb.jpeg.a46f0abc7abf2593899de9d669114572.jpeg

Posted (edited)

I apologize, I spoke to soon. I'm still missing something. 
I'm trying to program in the following repeater in Wisconsin [ Yes, we are going walleye fishing!]

Not understanding which cells I'm putting in those Input and Output tone Freqs.
Here's the details for said repeater from the maps section:

Eau Claire 600
Albertville, WI
Frequency 462.600 MHz
Output Tone 103.5 Hz
Input Tone 69.3 Hz
Edited by TacticalTodd
feeling dumb

11 hours ago, TacticalTodd said:

I apologize, I spoke to soon. I'm still missing something. 
I'm trying to program in the following repeater in Wisconsin [ Yes, we are going walleye fishing!]

Not understanding which cells I'm putting in those Input and Output tone Freqs.
Here's the details for said repeater from the maps section:

Eau Claire 600
Albertville, WI
Frequency 462.600 MHz
Output Tone 103.5 Hz
Input Tone 69.3 Hz

So select cross tone  then 69.3 in tone tx and 103.5 in tone sqwelch rx then select tone type tone->tone 

I sent you a pm.  I’m glad to help over the phone but won’t be able to untill I get home from work.   If no you don’t have it figured out by then I can also input it into chirp and send you a screen picture 

15 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

I wish Josh would get right on that 😁

16 hours ago, TacticalTodd said:

Doing some summer traveling and programming in some repeaters for the states we will be traveling thru.

I have noticed that some repeaters will have a different INPUT tone and a different OUTPUT tone. 

Did the Google and YouTube thing, only to confuse myself even more.

While in CHIRP, how do I program these different input and output tones?

Thank you all so much.

Todd

The easiest thing to do is choose Tone for squelch type instead of TSQL. That’s the same as having no tone for your receiver.
Then it doesn’t matter what the output tone is, your radio will reproduce it. You still have to match your transmitter tone to the repeater input tone or the repeater will ignore you. 

Your Input Tone is what Keys the Repeater, leave the RX tones section blank.. Populate the TX / CTS DCS field with the correct tone for that

particular Repeater.  Make sure for TX you are using a +5 offset otherwise your simply using Simplex.  Example

RX Frequency: 462.600 MHz 

TX Frequency : 467.600 (TO KEY REPEATER) IF INPUT TONE IS SET CORRECTLY & You are within Range of Said Repeater...

Input Tone: 69.3  <--- DOUBLE CHECK THAT... Repeater Owners sometimes Change Tones to Cut down on Riff Raff.

Output Tone - Leave Blank for now.

This also may be redundant but if the repeater is not "OPEN" make sure you have permission from the Owner to use that Repeater..

Have FUN!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Can Radio be an Addiction?

A: Depends on the Frequency.

-----------------------------------------------------

> Today I saw an ad that said "radio for sale, $1, volume stuck on full."

> I thought, "I can't turn that down."

"LIFE IS GOOD" - Hickok45.

Just now, WRXP381 said:

Why do the 1/2as’d “easiest” way when one could do it right from the beginning and not have to learn bad habits.  This is one simple issue that as soon as it gets learned it won’t be an issue ever again.  

You’re making the assumption that it’s a “bad habit.”  That’s a value judgement on your part that’s simply not true.  If it was true the other choices would not exist. Teaching the OP about them is not wrong, just because you wouldn’t do it. 

Some people want to hear all transmissions on a particular frequency, especially when traveling. Programming a squelch tone prevents that. 

I use chirp on a mac m1, for the wouxun kg1000 plus.  One thing I have noticed, if the repeater input and output tones are the SAME, and you startoff with "cross" it will set the tone to "tone" then only enter one tone for the xmit, or depending on how you start out, if you set it to TQSL, and there both the same, it will put the single tone on the input squelch column.   A little confusing, I kind of see what they are doing, but it takes some reading between the lines.   I would much prefer to just set both tones and be done.   However I can see the benefit of opening up the recv tone in some situations (how mine is currently defaulted to).  If that were the case it would be nice to set the recv tone to "all" so there removes any ambiguity.  That would simply mean you would get no "extra" level of filtering on what what xmitted from the repeater,  The "gate" to the repeater would simply be depending on what you xmitted to it, to have access.   Not to confuse things, but there are times where you have to read between the lines on what chirp is doing.  I am going to do some test to set the radio manually on some of these "tones" then download from radio to the computer and see how it comes through..  All the best..  all info is good info...   regards

9 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

The easiest thing to do is choose Tone for squelch type instead of TSQL. That’s the same as having no tone for your receiver.
Then it doesn’t matter what the output tone is, your radio will reproduce it. You still have to match your transmitter tone to the repeater input tone or the repeater will ignore you. 

Why do the 1/2as’d “easiest” way when one could do it right from the beginning and not have to learn bad habits.  This is one simple issue that as soon as it gets learned it won’t be an issue ever again.