Pennsylvania people.. you need to take action now

35 minutes ago, WRQI663 said:

I read the pdf.

Nothing about mobile GMRS only amateur radio? Can GMRS be considered "amateur" since it is not job related and still covered by having an FCC license?

I’m not a lawyer, but I don’t see how GMRS can be considered Amateur Radio.  GMRS can be used for business purposes, requires certified transmitters, and is very clearly differentiated in the regulations from Amateur Radio.

However, the law clearly doesn’t require that the radio be an amateur radio.  It simply requires that the user have an amateur radio license issued by the FCC.  So, get a technician class license also.

35 minutes ago, WRQI663 said:

Read lines 21 - 23 no mention other than amateur radio

I did. As I explained it doesn’t require that the radio be an amateur radio, only that the user have an amateur radio license issued by the FCC. So, a licensed amateur radio operator could operate any kind of two way radio. Of course FCC regulations would require that a person also have a license for the service being used. 

2 hours ago, WRQI663 said:

I read the pdf.

Nothing about mobile GMRS only amateur radio? Can GMRS be considered "amateur" since it is not job related and still covered by having an FCC license?

No. However, it only indicates that the operator has an amateur radio license, not that they are operating within amateur radio service. If one were to get pulled over the following apply:

1) There isn't any way for them to know what frequency/service you are using. Show them your amateur license from the FCC, that's the end of discussion as written.

2) It's probably going to take some overzealous cop 3 amateur radio licenses submitted during stops before they ignore radio usage all together.

3) It's pretty clear they are targeting cell phone/tablet/computer usages.

They very clearly allow cell phones used for GPS navigation only, allow cell phones for calls/texts when integrated through apple play/android auto on the dash, as well as they recognize that e-logs are a thing for CDL drivers and they can't say a thing because the federal DOT is requiring their use.

Don't be stupid, it will be fine. It also is a good call to just get your amateur tech license to maintain your exception status.

The proposed legislation in Pennsylvania does not target two-way mobile and handheld radio users. If you think it does, you need to reread the proposed bill and point out where it prohibits the use of two-way mobile radios. The proposed legislation is pretty clear with the definitions of what is prohibited/ restricted.

On 4/27/2024 at 10:22 AM, WRXP381 said:

Sooo I won’t be able to read the news paper check sports stats  and talk on the radio all at the same time?   I was a school bus driver and dispatcher for a many years.  If you had any idea how dangerous that was to have professional drivers talking in the radio and driving you would want this to pass.  I totally agree with not being allowed to use your radio while  driving.   I hope it passes.  People can’t drive let alone use a radio and drive.   Now if all people would drive like normal and every one would slow down and pay attention then great but with all the new generation of selfish morons behind the wheel all in a huge hurry to go no where I agree.  I think cell phones should be required to go in the trunk,  not even passengers.   Now I also don’t think this will help stop or slow down accidents at all. 

than that should also include no radio/computer use/phone use by cops. I see more cops in the Chicago metro area almost getting into crashes or causing crashes playing with their in car computers or talking on the phone than anyone using a radio ever will. if its good for the general population it is also good for them

3 hours ago, nokones said:

The proposed legislation in Pennsylvania does not target two-way mobile and handheld radio users. If you think it does, you need to reread the proposed bill and point out where it prohibits the use of two-way mobile radios. The proposed legislation is pretty clear with the definitions of what is prohibited/ restricted.

It's no longer proposed. It has passed. It is just waiting for the governor's signature. 

On 5/28/2024 at 5:38 AM, WRQI663 said:

I read the pdf.

Probably.  While everyone here knows that GMRS is not what the FCC refers to as "amateur radio," I'm betting the legislators, who probably don't know an anode from a cathode, intended to exempt anyone with an FCC license.  That the text fails to do that is a matter of definition; the old intent-of-the-law vs letter-of-the-law thing.

Same for law enforcement.  I'll bring my GMRS license next time I'm in PA.  "Look officer, here's my FCC license."

1 hour ago, BoxCar said:

Many will not accept an electronic copy because it can be faked.

With the software tools commonly available fake paper documents can be easily created too. With the now "Deep Fake" technology you can't even believe videos any more.