HELP! Newbie needing some assistance with using handhelds to access repeaters mainly for emergency use when in remote areas and traveling.

We recently relocated to Oregon from Buffalo, NY, and find ourselves in very different terrain. We camp and geocache, so we find ourselves without cell signal often. I have a license (WRDZ 350), which I obtained 2 or 3 years ago, but only because the walkie-talkie like 2-way radios we have do have some channels that are on GMRS frequencies. We only used them for close communication while in woods caching with other friends or while camping. We have never used a repeater.

Now that we are here and the terrain is much different, we find ourselves without cell signal often as we travel. For safety reasons, I want to better understand GMRS and the use of repeaters. We are looking at purchasing a handheld type of radio (or two) that can access repeater frequencies, mainly for emergency use, but also potentially to communicate between a small group of people who may be geocaching together in a remote area.

Being new to the area and not really knowing the terrain we may encounter by following our GPS to a cache, it would be wonderful to know we have some way of summoning help if, God forbid, ever needed!

I do have an account on myGMRS.com, so I can see where repeaters are available, coverage range, owner requirements (open system, permission required, etc.), and then all the really techie stuff that goes completely over my head. 

I appreciate any insight you may be able to offer. Mainly, what handhelds might be best suited for this situation and then the specifics of how I would go about using said handheld(s) to access repeaters.

I understand some require owner permission and others are open. Some accept the travel tones (although still a bit unclear on what that means, but know it has to do with squelch and blocking out other chatter on the frequency) and others do not. We typically know where we are going to be headed to, so I would be able to do the research to ID repeaters in those areas and those along the route to said destination.

Thanks in advance for any and all help for this complete newbie!! (I was a CB nerd wayyyy back in my youth, but this seems a bit more complex at the moment!)

Best,

PJ (WRDZ 350)

The setup needed for repeater use varies depending on the make and model handheld you are using. Check for user manuals for your HH units as they will also have the necessary steps to load in repeater channels. Also, remember the axiom High in, low out. Your transmit frequency is always the higher frequency while you receive on the lower. 

Thank you!!! My friend is a HAM operator and he is suggesting that perhaps I look into obtaining my tech license. Yikes! I guess I have some reading and better understanding gmrs vs ham options. In my head this all seemed much more simple...like I just had to purchase a decent HH with repeated capabilities and know how to program it to hit those repeaters, but am now starting to understand there are more technical things involved!

2 hours ago, Cacher said:

Thank you!!! My friend is a HAM operator and he is suggesting that perhaps I look into obtaining my tech license. Yikes! I guess I have some reading and better understanding gmrs vs ham options. In my head this all seemed much more simple...like I just had to purchase a decent HH with repeated capabilities and know how to program it to hit those repeaters, but am now starting to understand there are more technical things involved!

You can do what you want to do with GMRS, and then get a tech license if so inclined.  Do your geocaching friends want to get a tech license?  If not, start with GMRS.

4 hours ago, WRHS218 said:

You might also want to check out the Queen of Everything GMRS's video channel. He has a few GMRS related videos.

I never noticed before. He has three hands. Or at least three arms. I can't see the third hand.

6 hours ago, Cacher said:

My friend is a HAM operator and he is suggesting that perhaps I look into obtaining my tech license.

Your friend is wise. Remember though, while your immediate family is covered by your license, everyone in your party who isn't covered by your GMRS license needs their own license. But if you are using amateur radio to keep in contact with other people in your party, everyone needs their own amateur radio license. No free lunch for your immediate family. Not everyone wants to take a test. That's the beauty of GMRS. You don't have to know much. You just need $35 for a license, and maybe $30 for a radio.

11 hours ago, RayP said:

If that makes you happy, go for it!  Me, I'm saving my points for that toaster oven with the ARRL logo emblazoned on it.   😁

11 hours ago, Sshannon said:

A little known fact is that the toaster doubles as a dummy load…

The toaster part works best with a 1K 11 meter amp feeding it.

Hahahaha....I would have thought the points earned for getting someone into the ham culture could only be redeemed for ham sandwiches!!!    🤣

Thank you, everyone, for the help! I do thing GMRS will be the way to go, I just have to figure out the best way to accomplish what I need without having to carry a lot of equipment.

Living in Oregon, we tend to lose cell service (and thus when gmrs would be needed) when we are in the higher elevations (Cascade's and other hilly areas) in the forest. So, at least I'll have the natural elevation working in my favor (although the trees may negate that???), which HOPEFULLY means that I'll be able to more easily hit a repeater with some sort of lightweight antenna that is easily attached to a HH unit???

8 minutes ago, Cacher said:

some sort of lightweight antenna that is easily attached to a HH unit

There's a couple of ways to do that. First, assuming the stock antenna on your HT is removeable, (not all are), you can replace it with a better one. Many folks here will pontificate on what that might be. Second, you can attach an external antenna to the radio with a few feet of coax and mount it to the roof of your vehicle, or a cookie sheet, etc. 

7 minutes ago, BoxCar said:

There are a multitude of discussions on after market and supplied antennas. Your mileage will vary depending on whether or not you keep the stock antenna or go add-on.

Seems like I'd want to at least upgrade the stock antenna to a foldable 48", which, to my understanding, would increase my range but also still be small enough to be able to carry the radio(s) in a backpack.

5 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

There's a couple of ways to do that. First, assuming the stock antenna on your HT is removeable, (not all are), you can replace it with a better one. Many folks here will pontificate on what that might be. Second, you can attach an external antenna to the radio with a few feet of coax and mount it to the roof of your vehicle, or a cookie sheet, etc. 

Cookie sheet? Is it the metal that is helping to amplify the range of the antenna in this case?

14 hours ago, WRQC527 said:

I never noticed before. He has three hands. Or at least three arms. I can't see the third hand.

He removed his hand from the arm where you can't see his hand and apparently attached it to his clavicle to hold the radio!  🤣 

15 minutes ago, Cacher said:

Cookie sheet? Is it the metal that is helping to amplify the range of the antenna in this case?

Not really amplify, but the cookie sheet acts as a counterpoise. Your HT typically puts out about 5 watts, and the counterpoise helps to get more of that 5 watts out by providing the other half of the antenna, so to speak. The same as the roof of your vehicle would if you put the antenna on the roof. The antenna on your HT is essentially half the antenna, the other half is the metal under the antenna. Or if you're carrying your HT, your body is the counterpoise. Antenna theory is a big subject. It's sometimes hard to explain, but by God, people here will try. My suggestion would be to read up on it from sources like the ARRL, and check out KB9VBR's YouTube channel, KE0OG's channel, and others.