HELP! Newbie needing some assistance with using handhelds to access repeaters mainly for emergency use when in remote areas and traveling.

27 minutes ago, Cacher said:

Cookie sheet? Is it the metal that is helping to amplify the range of the antenna in this case?

In a sense, yes. Many mobile antennas require a ground plane. In the past the steel roofs of cars provided it but people who use magnetic antennas elsewhere simply use a cookie sheet. 

20 hours ago, WRHS218 said:

You might also want to check out the Queen of Everything GMRS's video channel. He has a few GMRS related videos.

Do you have a link to the Queen of Everything's GMRS channel? I can't seem to find it with a Google search.

A special shout out to WRXP381 for all the assistance in a private message to help demystify things even more. We've decided to go the route of ordering two Baofeng UV9Rs with 48" foldable antennas and the programming cable to get started. We will program GMRS frequencies on the lower channels and HAM frequencies for dire emergency-use only on the upper channels (100+) so we don't accidently confuse GMRS for HAM channels.

I very much appreciate everyone's insights here and look forward to getting more involved in the GMRS community!

6 hours ago, Cacher said:

looking forward to getting more familiar with things and making some new radio-minded friends to keep learning more!

Just give it a try and ask questions as they come up.  Pretty hard to mess up too badly.  Good Luck !  

In your situation personally I wouldn't rely on radio. I carry a Garmin Inreach for places like that now as I rutinely work/play in areas with no cell. People can argue all they want about coverage but I've never had a message not go thru for giving an update to family or friends. For $15.00 a month I like the safety of it in my back pocket. 

5 hours ago, gortex2 said:

In your situation personally I wouldn't rely on radio. I carry a Garmin Inreach for places like that now

This is actually a VERY good point.. I am The Queen Of GMRS, and even I dont rely on GMRS (or H.A.M.) for emergency communication when out off-roading because 90% of where we go has no Cell,GMRS, or H.A.M. coverage.. I carry a Garmin Inreach, and I too have NEVER had a message not go through.  

14 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

This is actually a VERY good point.. I am The Queen Of GMRS, and even I dont rely on GMRS (or H.A.M.) for emergency communication when out off-roading because 90% of where we go has no Cell,GMRS, or H.A.M. coverage.. I carry a Garmin Inreach, and I too have NEVER had a message not go through.  

Me three. My Inreach is a feature of my Garmin Overlander Nav System with S.O.S. at the touch of a button. The email portion of the Inreach obviously works slick.

With the exception of the trails near the Mexican border between Yuma and Tucson and well south of Interstate 8, most of our trails in Arizona have GMRS repeater coverage with the addition of Mingus Mtn. recently. Towers 575 is essentially restricted these days but Towers 600 fills in in place of Towers 575. We're pretty fortunate and several of the repeaters are linked for wide area coverage.

Thanks for the information on the InReach. We will definitely look into this as an option. Another friend suggested a sat phone, but those are very expensive and likely much more than what we need, but it appears the basic safety package on the InReach is not going to totally break the bank!

I'm paying $24.95/Month for the Garmin InReach service for my Garmin Overlander Nav System because I wanted the 40 email/texting limit.  They have three monthly plans, $11.95, $24.95, and $49.95. The $11.95 plan limits you to 10 emails/texting and the $49.95 plan has unlimited email/texting and two-minute tracking.  The first two plans have 10-Minute tracking.  All three plans have unlimited S.O.S.

9 minutes ago, nokones said:

I'm paying $24.95/Month for the Garmin InReach service for my Garmin Overlander Nav System because I wanted the 40 email/texting limit.  They have three monthly plans, $11.95, $24.95, and $49.95. The $11.95 plan limits you to 10 emails/texting and the $49.95 plan has unlimited email/texting and two-minute tracking.  The first two plans have 10-Minute tracking.  All three plans have unlimited S.O.S.

Yes, this is what my research showed, too. We would need to purchase a handheld Garmin that is compatible with the InReach service and are currently considering perhaps the Mini since it appears that is the lowest price-point model.