Midland GXT67 PRO

I’m betting it transmits the same fars as any other ht.   And if you don’t mind no face programming it will be a fine radio.  I’d bet not much different than any other radio in the end.  I’d bet like lost adios it will come down to personal preference and budget.  

17 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

And if you don’t mind no face programming it will be a fine radio

If you are inferring that the radio cannot be programmed via the keypad, you would be wrong. 

You are also wrong about it not being much different from any other radio..

But other than that, you're 100% right.

Looks like it, too, suffers from the only complaint I have about my Boofwang UV-9G. That belt clip design is pretty annoying. I have considered talking to a friend with a 3D printer to see if they could design one that wouldn't allow the radio to swing around so much while I'm out moving through brush during hunting season.

9 hours ago, jsneezy said:

Looks like it, too, suffers from the only complaint I have about my Boofwang UV-9G. That belt clip design is pretty annoying. I have considered talking to a friend with a 3D printer to see if they could design one that wouldn't allow the radio to swing around so much while I'm out moving through brush during hunting season.

A good pouch is a much better solution. This what I use. Best ones on the market as far as I know.

https://www.spectergear.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=238

That’s interesting and I wonder if that’s them responding to the USB-C charging desire that’s seen in a lot of the Amateur radio space for HT’s as well as the newer Wouxon offerings? I can sort of live with that because I can carry a battery bank as my “spare” which I already own.

I noticed that there is a 'cigarette lighter' style 12v power connector with it, too. I assume that lends to charging on the go, too.

I'll have to checkout the channel of a certain YouTube hobo and see if some recent videos shed any light.

That’s interesting and I wonder if that’s them responding to the USB-C charging desire that’s seen in a lot of the Amateur radio space for HT’s as well as the newer Wouxon offerings? I can sort of live with that because I can carry a battery bank as my “spare” which I already own.

Watching the video Randy posted and it sounds like you can only charge in the cradle, not direct to radio. Bummer.

Generally speaking but with something in the same form factor as this new Midland-

I’d like the option for a removable antenna if (in trade) they would put a GPS antenna in it. Not dissimilar to the Garmin Rhino radios. So long as the fixed GPS would handle the data and I could have a removable VHF antenna to put on whatever I chose in the moment. 

Supposedly Midalnd has some more things coming out over the next year to include the GXT3000 so maybe something like that will be in the future.

just a thought

GF

1 hour ago, giantfuton said:

I’d like the option for a removable antenna ... Supposedly Midalnd has some more things coming out over the next year to include the GXT3000 so maybe something like that will be in the future.

Sorry to ruin the surprise for you, but the GXT3000 does not have a removable antenna

GXT3000.jpg

On 5/17/2024 at 7:19 PM, Hoppyjr said:

No removable battery either, so you can’t carry a spare.

I know!  Just when I thought that Midland had finally hired some GMRS design engineers who had a clue...   They did great, as I understand it, making this radio dual conversion.  I believe this is the first ever GMRS by Midland to include that feature which does make a difference in areas with a lot of RF pollution.  Even though NAR experienced long battery life in his test, not allowing for procurement or attachment of spare batteries if out in the wilderness for days, is just short-sighted.  If the attached antenna works well, I can live with that being incapable of removal, but why?  I always hated that style of belt clip, preferring the rigid, one-piece, style that is more common.

Midland seems to really play up that minimalist "keeping it simple for the non-radio person" rot, but it isn't necessary.  Any Wouxun ht or mobile is just as simple if you choose to not program in PL codes for simplex or repeater use.  The thing about the Wouxun design is, their radios can easily and readily grow with you, your knowledge of radios, and your needs; allowing for addition of more repeater or simplex channels with differing PL/DPL codes in them. 

I am now expecting any day, to see Midland introduce the absolute ultimate in minimalist communications for the non-radio-geek.  Picture it!  "The New Midland TCCC" (Tin Can Communications Center).  "Midland R&D has just developed a new communications device which will revolutionize  communications with family, friends, and neighbors.  Our new TCCC never requires batteries, needs no license, and has exceptional privacy!  The TCCC comes complete with two tin cans and a 100 ft length of high-quality, communications grade, string.  It allows for reliable, network-free contact when afield, between rooms, between houses, and even between automobiles!  Extra 100 ft lengths of communications grade string may be necessary for vehicular operation.  Be prepared for your next outing, road trip, or EMP incident!  The new Midland TCCC is impervious to EMP, Government eavesdropping, and other hazards. It needs no programming or knowledge of radiocommunications principles to work.  Get yours  today!"