My first contact

I got my GMRS license a few weeks ago and received my handheld radios a few days ago & started setting them up (still learning & trying to set them up lol). Well, I reached a local repeater and made my first contact. It was exciting to me so I just thought I’d share that. Thanks everyone for helping me with my newbie questions. 

On 5/12/2024 at 2:31 PM, WRQC527 said:

Nice job! This very thing, making contact on a repeater, is a stumbling block for many new GMRS users. I would say it is one of the bigger causes of discouragement among new users.

I know the feeling, tackled CHIRP software programming radios and also have open communications with local repeaters 😎

On 5/12/2024 at 9:29 AM, Taz670 said:

I got my GMRS license a few weeks ago and received my handheld radios a few days ago & started setting them up (still learning & trying to set them up lol). Well, I reached a local repeater and made my first contact. It was exciting to me so I just thought I’d share that. Thanks everyone for helping me with my newbie questions. 

That’s awesome. I don’t live close enough to any published repeaters to hit them with my ht radio. I can talk to my boys on there bf-888s radios when I’m close to home

3 hours ago, n2877 said:

That’s awesome. I don’t live close enough to any published repeaters to hit them with my ht radio. I can talk to my boys on there bf-888s radios when I’m close to home

How far away are the closest repeaters? I've been able to hit some around 70 miles away with my UV-9G both with the rubber ducky and NA-771G.

13 hours ago, jsneezy said:

How far away are the closest repeaters? I've been able to hit some around 70 miles away with my UV-9G both with the rubber ducky and NA-771G.

there about 20 miles away. But every time I've tried I get dead air. Then next thing I know, people are talking. It got what ever antenna it came with. It's not the rubber duck. 

IMG_0019.HEIC

I forget that iPhones store pictures differently than other phones. Not sure who makes the antenna that is attached to the radio, there is a bnc-sfma adaptor between radio and antenna fyi.  

Maybe I am a "Debbie Downer" but while I am glad you have made contact with people you don't already know is that the reason you got into GMRS?  HAM or CB would be much better IF that is your goal.

To me, the best day on GMRS is only hearing people that I want to hear.  That is: I see GMRS as a communication tool not a social tool.

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:

You can go into the camera settings and tell it to store your images as good, old-fashioned .JPG images, if that is your preference.

That just might be a good idea for me to do. Now can you wave your magic wand for your favorite viewer and get my current uv-9g to reach the repeater that is about 20 miles away with current set up please? 

18 minutes ago, n2877 said:

Thanks for not waisting any of my “valuable time” with letting my down easy by going into a lengthy explanation as to why you can’t. 

He doesn’t have a magic wand.

Or

He doesn’t know why you can’t hit the repeater (you’ve given no details).

Or

You’re not his favorite viewer?

What kind of challenges do you have in reaching the repeater? What’s the terrain like?  What about vegetation? Do you have the right tone for transmitting?

19 hours ago, n2877 said:

Agree encounter great comms with family members on the ranch with line of sight non-obscured via GMRS. Have driven 5-miles out and clear comms for the most part remains intact. Someone defined drawback with GMRS is in only talking to those whom own GMRS radios as the intent for usage, if wishing to reach out to others then a ham license would be required. On a final note entered several repeaters using a Nagoya antenna and hear several comms back and forth. 

4 hours ago, n2877 said:

That just might be a good idea for me to do. Now can you wave your magic wand for your favorite viewer and get my current uv-9g to reach the repeater that is about 20 miles away with current set up please? 

Double check your tones. I was on the mobile out of town a few weeks ago, and tried hitting the local repeater there. Somehow, I managed to mix up the split tones for the repeater and couldn't hit it. It wasn't until I got home and double checked the Radioddity software that I realized I had the right tones saved, but they were backwards. Also, just to rule it out, I would try putting the antenna directly on the radio rather than having the adapter(s).